Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

During a one year period before 1970, foreign filmmakers from one land tested critics tolerance for sex and violence.  The three films are referred to as the "Sadian Trilogy".  Name the country involved,  the three films,  their directors, and the specific time period.

During a one year period before 1970, foreign filmmakers from one land tested critics tolerance for sex and violence.  The three films are referred to as the "Sadian Trilogy".  Name the country involved,  the three films,  their directors, and the specific time period.

The United Kingdom

Horrors of the Black Museum, Arthur Crabtree

Circus of Horrors, Sidney Hayers

Peeping Tom, Michael Powell

all 1959/1960

This film features documentary footage of a tug-of-war contest between locomotives. When you name the film, also state what else made it a rare picture.

Hint: Early 1930's film. The cast includes a character actor who died too soon, a leading lady at the start of her illustrious career, and an actor best recalled for co-starring with an ape of sorts.

"Danger Lights" (1930)?

The movie was filmed in a 65 millimeter process Spoor-Bergen (sp?)Natural Vision?

Correct. Only the standard 4:3 prints have survived, while the widescreen version is considered lost. The movie starred Louis Wolheim, Jean Arthur, and Robert Armstrong.

Your thread, film lover.

This film provoked a terse one word review from a leading critic of the day.  Name the film, the star, and the critic.

Isn't It Romantic? - Veronica Lake - Leonard Maltin's review = "No."

Lawrence-- 2 of 3--One critic wrote "No" when the film was first released.  Name him.

I just saw this on Wikipedia: "Isn't It Romantic? is notable for receiving the shortest review ever given to a motion picture. According to Guinness World Records, well-known critic Leonard Maltin simply replied "No" as a response to the film's title.

It also mentions a Bosley Crowther review :  "A formless and rambling musical, which looks as though it were made with at least a half dozen previous musical successes in mind, is Paramount's "Isn't It Romantic?" which came to the Paramount Theatre yesterday. The funny thing is it bears no likeness to a musical success itself."

Lawrence--I would have sworn James Agee wrote the "no" review, but I'm apparently wrong.  My apologies, and Your thread.

Wikipedia could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time. I quoted the passage to show where I was getting my info from. 

I think I'll leave this open. Me and the trivia section aren't gelling well of late. 

Well, Larry, I'm feeling the same as you about the Trivia section, but I'll try once more.

When the soundtrack of this movie was released, it contained both a certain actress singing, and another whose voice was used in the movie.  Name the movie.

You're right, Arsan.  Much has been written about this incident.  And the ironic part is that Ava Gardner's voice was quite pleasant, good enough to be used in the movie.  She was so disappointed with the whole thing, that she turned down the lead in "Love Me or Leave Me'", claiming that she wanted nothing to do with another musical.

Arsan, your turn.

Thank you, Terrence.

Who's the only performer ever to refuse the New York Film Critics Award?

It looks like the answer is Charles Chaplin for The Great Dictator but I can't find out why he refused.

Charles Chaplin for The Great Dictator is correct, Lawrence. Why he refused the award is not clear.

One story claims that Bosley Crowther was not happy with the results of the ballots and pressured the other members into giving awards to Katharine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story and Charles Chaplin in The Great Dictator. When they found out, Katharine Hepburn refused to pick up the award; Charles Chaplin refused it altogether.

Your thread.

The Ku Klux Klan sued a movie studio over the use of a patented insignia in a studio-era film. Name the movie.

Black Legion?

That was the one. The judge on the case threw the suit out.

Your thread, starliteyes!

This juvenile actor and actress appeared in several films together and, in one instance, the actress appeared in a remake of a film the actor had made several years before playing the role he had played, with the character undergoing a change from a kid brother to a kid sister.

Name the actor and actress and the 2 films.

Hint #2:  The actress left films in her mid-teens.  The actor spent his entire life in show business and was a major box-office star at one time.