Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

The 1941 movie "I Will Wait for You" featured Virginia Weidler as the younger sister of Marsha Hunt.  It was a remake of the 1934 film "Hideout" which featured Mickey Rooney as Maureen O'Sullivan's younger brother.  Recently TCM showed "Hold That Kiss" (1938) in which Mickey Rooney also played Maureen O'Sullivan's kid brother.  Fay Holden (Mrs. Hardy in all those movies) played their mother.  Fay Holden also played Virginia Weidler's mother in "I Will Wait For You".

That's exactly right, Miles, and may I just add that Mickey Rooney and Virginia Weidler appeared in 4 films together, twice playing brother and sister.  The first time was in Love Is a Headache and the second time was in Young Tom Edison.  The other 2 films were Out West with the Hardys and Babes on Broadway.

Your thread, Miles.

A popular radio comic was featured in a few movies in the thirties and forties.  His appeal to children was similar to Pee Wee Herman's.  He used a child-like voice and very silly slapstick routines.  His favorite catch phrase was "Wanna buy a duck?".  He got to sing to that duck in a 1930's musical.  Can you name this comic, his duck, and the movie? 

I've never seen Joe Penner in a movie, I've only read about him in the history of Vaudeville books.

His big movie was College Rhythm 1934, co-starring with Jack Oakie.

You are correct, Princess.  The duck's name was Goo Goo.  Here they are with Lyda Roberti in "College Rhythm".

With clever lyrics like "Lover, come quack to me", I just don't understand how that song didn't get an Oscar nomination.

Nice work, Princess.  You're up next.

This actress was better known in the theater than in motion pictures, however her performances in movies are memorable, as she even garnered one Academy Award nomination. 

Her husband was not in Show Business, but was the scion of a famous American family of Industry.

When you identify this actress and name several of her well-known movie roles, please also list one of her legendary theater roles.

Margaret Leighton?

She was nominated for one Oscar; appeared in Hitchcock's "Under Capricorn" (1949); won four Tonys including ones for "Separate Tables" (1957) and "Night of the Iguana" (1962).

Married to famous publisher, whose parents owned a successful import/export business, Max Reinhardt. He put their money into his publishing biz.

Marcar-- undoubtably Margaret Leighton is a great actress and made her mark in the American Theatre.

But I don't think it would just be my opinion that she is not up for the title of one of the Greatest Actresses of the American Theater in the 20th century. That title could only be considered for a handful of actresses who consistently earned their top positions on Broadway.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2017 at 2:24 AM, Princess of Tap said:

This actress was better known in the theater than in motion pictures, however her performances in movies are memorable, as she even garnered one Academy Award nomination. 

Her husband was not in Show Business, but was the scion of a famous American family of Industry.

When you identify this actress and name several of her well-known movie roles, please also list one of her legendary theater roles.

How about Dame Judith Anderson? Rebecca and Laura would be 2 outstanding film roles for her, she was nominated for an Oscar for Hitchcock's RebeccaMedea and Macbeth would be outstanding theater roles. She was married to a Lehman ?????

8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

How about Dame Judith Anderson? Rebecca and Laura would be 2 outstanding film roles for her, Medea and Macbeth would be outstanding theater roles. She was married to a Lehman ?????

I'd be willing to give  Mrs. Danvers the benefit of any doubt because she really scares me. But I'm not aware of any of her husbands having anything to do with a product of industry.

Hint#3-- The product that the actress' husband was associated with was an important item in American history.

On 11/9/2017 at 1:24 AM, Princess of Tap said:

On 11/25/2017 at 10:45 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint: One of the most outstanding actresses of the American Theater in the 20th century

On 12/5/2017 at 12:21 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2--She was featured in 1 Hitchcock film.

Hint#3--The product that the actress'  husband was associated with was an important item in American history.

Ethel Barrymore was in Hitchcock's "The Paradine Case." She won an Oscar for "None but the Lonely Heart." She was married to stockbroker Russell Griswold Colt, son of Samuel Colt of the great gun manufacturing family.

Barrymore was "one of the outstanding actresses of American theatre in the 20th century" starring in Ibsen's "A Doll's House" and "Trelawney of the Wells." She was a hit on the London and Broadway stages. She made her stage debut in 1894.

The only thing is: she was nominated for 3 Oscars in supporting roles; won 1. 

Can this be who you mean?

• Thanks 1

Yes! I simply love Ethel. But I was shocked to find out, in researching this question, that Helen Hayes and/or Katharine Cornell , as well as Ethel, are also known as the First Lady of the American Theatre. But I do believe Ethel came first.

My favorite Ethel Barrymore role is the maiden aunt in Young at Heart. But the old girl really gave us some surprise moves in the Spiral Staircase.

And thanks again for hanging in there.

Marcar, You're up--

• Haha 1

That's a happy face...or as close as I can get. That was a tough one.

I'm going to open up the thread to the next brave traveler. Too much on my plate right now and I don't want to bog down the game.

So, who's next?

This actor and actress had an affair while co-starring in a film.  Ironically, her husband at the time had once dubbed the singing voice of the actor with whom she was having the affair for another movie.

Name the actor, actress and the movie in which they co-starred.

Here are my guesses: Actor Victor Mature; Actress: Esther Williams; Movie: Million Dollar Mermaid

6 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Here are my guesses: Actor Victor Mature; Actress: Esther Williams; Movie: Million Dollar Mermaid

Thenryb-- first welcome to the games! I hope you stay a long time and enjoy yourself.

Here--You need to supply one answer to each question.

• Confused 1