Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

On 12/13/2017 at 12:45 AM, starliteyes said:

This actor and actress had an affair while co-starring in a film.  Ironically, her husband at the time had once dubbed the singing voice of the actor with whom she was having the affair for another movie.

Name the actor, actress and the movie in which they co-starred.

The actor was Victor Mature. The actress was Esther Williams. The movie was Million Dollar Mermaid. The question called for all of the above.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Thenryb-- Answers are not multiple choice. One name for this answer will do.

Starliteyes asked for two names and a title, which is what Thenryb answered.

• Thanks 1

Excellent, Thenryb, and welcome to the boards!

The thread is now yours.

P.S.  I just read your very first post and there was nothing wrong with it at all.  I don't know what all the confusion was about.

I am clueless as to the confusion, but I would like to exercise "newbie privileges" and pass the thread to the next in line.

Thenryb, looks we posted at the same time.  Your answers are correct and yes, you can leave the thread open to whoever would like to take it next.

• Thanks 1

David Wayne?  He was in As Young As You Feel, We're Not Married, O. Henry's Full House and perhaps most memorably How to Marry a Millionaire with Marilyn.

That's absolutely correct.  I thought maybe this would take several guesses.  And you even knew the titles!  It's all yours.

In this movie, when the leading lady is tortured, the screams that come out of her are actually the screams from another leading lady in another film.

Name the two films and the two screaming actresses.

Here is a guess. Faye Wray in King Kong who was a great screamer and Elsa Lancaster in Bride of Frankenstein.

Well, you got half of it right, Thenryb.  It was Fay Wray's screams from King Kong that were heard, but not coming out of Elsa Lanchester.

The second film was made a few years after Bride of Frankenstein and like King Kong, was made at RKO.

RKO and Merian C Cooper film "She", starring Helen Gahagan in which She has Helen Mack tortured.

So the answer is Helen Mack is being tortured and the screams are coming from Fay Wray in Cooper's other movie King Kong...?

Ah. I have never seen the original "She". Only the remake with Ursula Andress and even then did not recall the torture scene. That was Helen Gahagan's only movie, right? Anyway, the thread should go to Princess on Tap for getting the hard part of the question.

Sorry, but Princess of Tap did not give the correct answer.  As stated earlier, this film was made a few years after Bride of Frankenstein, and She came out in the same year as that film, the year being 1935.

Here's one more hint and this one should do the trick:  The movie was adapted from a classic story by Victor Hugo.

That's it, lavender!  And besides Fay Wray's screams, we also hear the screams of the sailors in King Kong for the screams of the wounded attackers.

The thread is now yours.

Thanks Star, Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season :)

There was so much animosity between this actress and actor in a 1960's film, the director suffered terrible migraines. It was a miserable experience all around according to the director. This was the 2nd film the actress and actor made together . Film, actor, actress and director ????

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Star, Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season :)

There was so much animosity between this actress and actor in a 1960's film, the director suffered terrible migraines. It was a miserable experience all around according to the director. This was the 2nd film the actress and actor made together . Film, actor, actress and director ????

It was only the migraines that gave this away for me. 

Frank Capra's autobiography, The Name Above the Title, may have been the first extensive Cinema book that I ever read in 1971.

And a Pocketful of Miracles may have been the only film of his at that time that I had ever seen besides It's a Wonderful Life.

I remember him talking about his migraine headaches and how he had lost control of the movie to Glenn Ford.

Ironically one of the first films I ever saw in classic movies was A Stolen Life starring Bette Davis and Glenn Ford.

So the two stars we're talking about are Bette Davis and Glenn Ford and the movie is a Pocketful of Miracles directed by Frank Capra.

( Lav: And as Bing Crosby sang in Holiday Inn: Happy Holidays!--

although I always thought Andy Williams sang it better. LOL)

Happy Holidays to you too Princess :)

Bette Davis, Glenn Ford, Frank Capra, Pocketful of Miracles are all correct. Making the film was a miserable experience for all of them. Bette Davis wrote in her autobiography that she was very angered over Glenn Ford saying that he was responsible for Bette getting the part of Apple Annie. He said that because she helped him with A Stolen Life he helped her with her comeback film since she hadn't made a film in over 5 years.

Hope Lange was Glenn's girlfriend at the time. Ford got Lange the part, Capra resented that. Ford also wanted Hope to have Bette's dressing room and that became an issue. Bette did not give up the dressing room.

I won't repeat what Bette wrote in her autobiography but basically she wrote that he wouldn't help her out of a sewer and he was the biggest heel in Hollywood.

Pocketful of Miracles was Frank Capra's last film, maybe the experience of making this film was part of the reason.

Your thread

• Thanks 1

This Golden Age  Hollywood actress is of European origination, she seems to have slipped through the cracks. She made a name for herself on Broadway and in European movies, but she is best remembered as playing  opposite Robert Donat, James Stewart and Ronald Colman and well-known 30s film classics. She made only one film in the forties and then  wrote a number of books.

When you identify this actress, please also name at least two of her 30s film classics.

7 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I believe it's Elissa Landi.  I think I've only seen her in two films - The Sign of the Cross and After the Thin Man.

Star-- This was very good work indeed!  I just don't think she's well known and she was even more difficult to describe.

Decades Before I ever saw Elissa Landi in a movie, I was captivated by her unique beauty from film still photography.

For years the only real information I could ever glean about her was that she had starred in the film version of The Warrior's Husband, which was primarily only noted because Katharine Hepburn had played the lead on Broadway.

After having seen her in After the Thin Man, a number of times, I think she would have had a truly great career had it been properly managed or if she, perhaps, had had more desire to reach that conclusion. She possessed all the attributes to make her a great star.

Star-- Happy New Year and I'm currently celebrating the advent of the New Year by  watching Elissa Landi in After the Thin Man!

Star,  You have earned this turn-- go for it!

• Thanks 1

Happy New Year to you, too, Princess!

While this star was making a personal appearance in Chicago, she had jewelry stolen from her hotel room.  When Al Capone, who was a big fan of hers, heard about it, he put out the word that the jewels had better be returned – or else!  The jewelry was returned the next day.

Name the star.