Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Many western stars had sidekicks.  Which actor is credited with playing the first sidekick to the star in western movies?  It's not Gabby Hayes or Smiley Burnette.

I would like to wish all of you a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!

Related image 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Lawrence, that's the guy.  You may remember Lucien Littlefield in later movies and TV shows, often playing crackpot scientists and inventors.  He did not look to be a western performer.

Related image  

Here is Lucien Littlefield on the left as Kentucky Rose.

Image result for lucien littlefield images 

Lawrence, you get to go next. 

• Like 1

This comic character actor also wrote scripts was even credited as dialogue director on one of his films.

Name him.

35 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Is it Sid Silvers?

The guy I'm thinking of goes back further. He started out in vaudeville and segued into films with the advent of sound.

30 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Joe Penner,  "Wanna buy a duck?"

No, not Penner.

Hint: This comic character actor was primarily with Warner Brothers, but he worked at other studios, too.

14 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hugh Herbert

Yes! The Princess is the winnah!!

I had never heard that about his being the inspiration for Daffy before I read it today.

hugh-herbert-1-sized.jpg

Your thread, Princess!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of these threads are awfully similar. They start off having some sort of unique wrinkle and end up being simply trivia threads. This one has been open for several days. I wish they could be consolidated if they are not truly unique.

3 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

A lot of these threads are awfully similar. They start off having some sort of unique wrinkle and end up being simply trivia threads. This one has been open for several days.

Yes, they are. This one was supposed to be reserved for the most difficult movie questions, but difficulty is relative. I was told that many of my questions were too difficult, so I normally abstain now.

Some people can lose track of which threads they are active in, but with the site upgrade, there's a new technique to help with that. If players would try to remember to use the quote function when answering, quoting the question asker, then the asker will receive an alert that they've been quoted and in what thread. That helps people keep track, I find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This actor was also a professional musician. Having been somewhat of a child prodigy, he wrote a great deal of music for Broadway and Hollywood. However, most classic movie audiences know him best as an actor in  a variety of films running the gamut from drama and comedy to musicals.

When you identify this actor, please also name at least two of his movies and one of his musical compositions.

21 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This actor was also a professional musician. Having been somewhat of a child prodigy, he wrote a great deal of music for Broadway and Hollywood. However, most classic movie audiences know him best as an actor in  a variety of films running the gamut from drama and comedy to musicals.

When you identify this actor, please also name at least two of his movies and one of his musical compositions.

I am going to guess Alan Arkin who composed The Banana Boat song made popular by Harry Bellafonte and who was in Catch-22 and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter among many others.

29 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I am going to guess Alan Arkin who composed The Banana Boat song made popular by Harry Bellafonte and who was in Catch-22 and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter among many others.

Alan Arkin is not the person that I'm thinking of and I don't think he fits all the criteria.

However, I did not know that Arkin wrote "Day-O" for Harry Belafonte, so thank you very much for telling me that. 

Hint#1-- This actor was also a professional musician and associated publicly with one musical instrument.

Scatman Crothers was a composer, musician and actor. He is in "The Shining", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next", "King of Marvin Gardens" and "Porgy and Bess". He composed "Dearest One", "Nobody Knows Why" and "When Oh When". He performed as a musician starting at around 15 years old, playing drums and guitar; he was also a singer, of course, known for his scratchy voice. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and joined ASCAP in 1959

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

In my original question, I state that this actor " wrote a great deal of music for Broadway and Hollywood".

If you can give us some examples of Scatman's original music for Broadway shows and Hollywood movies, then you have answered the question. ( But I do have another actor in mind.)

• Thanks 1

First person I thought of was Oscar Levant..films include The Band Wagon, Romance on the High Seas, An American in Paris.  I had to look up his B'way work--composer for The American Way, song-writer for Sweet and Low

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shutoo said:

First person I thought of was Oscar Levant..films include The Band Wagon, Romance on the High Seas, An American in Paris.  I had to look up his B'way work--composer for The American Way, song-writer for Sweet and Low

Shutoo, you"re S'wonderful. Oscar was a close personal friend of the Gershwins and was considered to be the greatest living interpreter of Gershwin's piano music second only to the composer himself.

In An American in Paris, Oscar actually  "plays" all the instruments  for George Gershwin's The Concerto in F.

I think Oscar's greatest dramatic role was as John Garfield's best friend in Humoresque. A Perfect role for Oscar because wouldn't a world-class violinist have a world-class pianist as his best friend?

The multi-talented Oscar also wrote for the movies. He wrote the score for Carole Lombard's Nothing Sacred and he wrote the opera for Charlie Chan at the Opera.

Shutoo-- You're up!