Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Even though he was currently a sailor in FOLLOW THE FLEET, he had been an entertainer prior to that..........CAREFREE is clearly correct. In THE SKY'S THE LIMIT, it is unclear whether he had ever been an entertainer, but that is a good choice. A better choice might have been YOLANDA AND THE THIEF, in which he was nothing more than a con man. Your thread, Miles.

Yes, In "Follow The Fleet", Fred and Randolph Scott are sailors on shore leave. Fred takes Scott to a dance hall to look up his old dance act partner, Ginger. Now, speaking of Fred Astaire, he was in a movie where he and his dance partner did a song and dance number to a song that had a title that was more than twenty words long. What was the song and movie, and who was his partner? It was not Ginger.

Been wanting to say this to you for some time, Miles.

"How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life?"--We used to tap to it in dance class.

*Royal Wedding* co-starred Fred with the Singer and not bad dancer Jane Powell.

It sounds like a line that I should have used in my younger days. In "Royal Wedding", Fred and Jane are a brother and sister act who travel to England at the time of the wedding of then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip. On the set, Fred told Jane that he and his sister Adele had first traveled to England to work some years before. She asked what year. He said it was 1929. She responded with "1929, That was the year I was born!", which made him really feel old!

Now cujas, I know you're thinking about trying to dance on the ceiling like Fred did in the movie, but before you hurt yourself, could you please pose the next question?

Been there and done that already!

In *Follow the Fleet* Fred sings, "I'd Rather Lead a Band". In *Roberta* he actually has his own band. Can you name the Astaire film, where Fred actually does lead a real and a very famous band with his taps? Of course, you can name the Big Band also.

Since I already answered Fi's question, I believe I'm up...

1950s:-- Two popular actors were on the set of a movie they were filming.

First Actor:... "You live in Palm Springs, I'd like to get a house there. Do you know of any good houses?"

Second Actor:..."I'll sell you my house. I'll give it to you for a hundred thousand dollars."

First Actor..."What do you mean? That's nothing. What's the catch?"

Second Actor:.."You will it to me."

The first actor was outraged by the notion that the second actor (who was much older) was going to outlive him and get the house back...

Questions: Who were the actors and what was the movie they were filming ?

The obvious one is "Royal Wedding" where Fred and his sister, played by Jane Powell, take their song and dance act to London. That's something that Fred and his sister Adele had done years before. For the other one, I would say it's Fred's first movie, "Dancing Lady", where he plays himself. He is brought into Clark Gable's stage show to help Joan Crawford with the dance numbers. Just a few years before that, he was brought into the stage show "Girl Crazy" to help with the dance numbers. The show featured a young lady named Ginger Rogers.

When Astaire agreed to star in *The Bandwagon*, the director, Vincente Minnelli, said Fred was a great guy to not mind playing a character who resembled the dancer in real life.

The dancer in "Bandwagon" had been a big movie star with hits like "Swinging Down to Panama" (like "Flying Down to Rio), who now can't get movie work, has to sell his movie momentos and is going back to the stage.

Also, In the film, you often hear references to how Astaire's way of doing things my be passe, in that the current trend is ballet and he's just a hoofer.

Astaire went through a phase in Hollywood in the 40's where he couldn't get a contract, after RKO dropped him in 1939. Eventually he retired in '46 in desperation as his last movie actually starred Bing Crosby.

Only Kelly's broken ankle while preparing "Easter Parade" with Judy in 1948 brought Astaire back. After this success, he was offered a MGM contract.