Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Miles--I'll just throw this non-Astaire question to you.

Astaire and tap are my favorites. So, Miles, I'm going to go into your territory for this one.

This cowboy-actor was a hit in silents and continued to have success in the talkies. He always played the hero. Ironically he starred in a movie in the late 30's about a silent cowboy superstar, who couldn't cut the mustard in talkies and was going broke.

Can you name the actor and the movie?

So, Miles and all you buckaroos this one's for you!

This was a real tough question, cujas. It's been up for more than a week, so I thought I had better do some real research. I think it's Richard Dix in the movie "It Happened In Hollywood". That's a 1937 movie that featured actual movie stand-ins appearing as their famous look-alike stars. They included stand-ins for Dietrich, Garbo, Cagney, Gable, Chaplin, W.C. Fields, and Harold Lloyd.

Miles--I'm sorry. I thought this would be right down your alley and very easy. I hope you get to see it though--it's a truly bizarre piece of film history. I don't know much about western stars--but every book I read said Dix was a big one. I hope that was true.

Now Miles, Prince of the Cowboys--it's all yours.

I don't know about that "Prince Of Cowboys" title, but we all know that cujas is the "Princess Of Tap". Here's one: What dancer/actress was the artists' model for Snow White at the Walt Disney studios in the thirties? Her movie career came later.

I don't no about being a princess--some people have called me the dancin' fool.

So the only model for Snow White I can give you is a great dancer. She had to be because her father, Ernest Belcher, taught Gwen Verdon and her husband, Gower Champion.

Answer: Marge Champion?

This choreographer worked with three of the greatest tap dancers in Hollywood's Golden Age: Eleanor Powell, Gene Kelly and Ruby Keeler.

Largely forgotten now, his innovative work was created primarily at two major studios. Ironically, he remains unknown while one of the films he choreographed is in the AFI's Top 10.

Of course, he started on Broadway where he worked with that other great Tap Dancer, Fred Astaire.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 28, 2011 8:00 PM

It is indeed. A big unknown to the public. Well, Miles, it looks like I can't stump you either.

Miles, the ball is in your court. (Sorry, I don't know what they say in golf.)

In golf, they say "You have the honors". If you hit a good shot, some might say "You Da Man!

Now, "I'll Go Home With Bonnie Jean" is a well known song from a movie that starred Gene Kelly. The fellow who sang it was in an earlier movie with Gene Kelly, although they did not have a scene together in first film. Who was this singer/actor and what was the earlier movie?

Well, I've got to say that although I'm a Lerner & Lowe fanatic, I don't particularly care for the movie of *Brigadoon*. Having said that, I don't know how well-known "I'll Go Home With Bonnie Jean" is. Although I know "Almost Like Being in Love" was a hit and several others were recorded.

Jimmy Thompson who sang it was the singer in the "Beautiful Girl" montage in *Singin' in the Rain". He was uncredited so I never knew his name. Not knowing him, I had to do some research. But I must say I always enjoyed him in the montage and wondered what happened to him.

Miles, That was a hard question--Are you playing hardball? I'm a whiffle ball girl myself.

Actually, I could have made it a little harder. Jimmy Thompson also had a small part in "The Bandwagon". That means he was in three movies that Cyd Charisse was in, because she was also in "Singin' In the Rain" in the Broadway Melody ballet. There's a rumor that Norma Zimmer from "The Lawrence Welk Show" was also in the "Beautiful Girl" montage, but I haven't been able to spot her.

I didn't think the question was all that tough, but Cujas, one of these days I'll have a real hard one for you. Right now, you're pitching!

My dear cowboy--uncredited actors who don't become well-known later, are always tough to spot. But I like playing McEnroe to your Borg.

This movie producer appeared in several MGM movies: 1 drama, 1 mystery and 1 musical. And additionally his singing voice was heard, dubbing for an actor, in another landmark MGM musical.

Hint: he was a MGM producer who was never given credit as an actor.

Producer and movies, please.

Edited by: cujas on Aug 3, 2011 7:37 PM

This MGM producer appeared, albeit uncredited, in 3 MGM movies and lent his singing voice to dub for another actor in the 4th. The movies he appeared in were: a mystery, a drama and a musical. Obviously, the fourth was a musical also.

This man produced 2 of the movies above.

Hint: He never received acting credit in these movies, but he did receive another credit, aside from producing.