Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate Movie Trivia

I was waiting for pturman's guess, but it hasn't come yet, so I decided to contribute this much. As most of you know, the MGM musical, in it's heyday, was the product of the department known as the Freed unit, which was headed by producer Arthur Freed. Freed had been a songwiter and, with his partner Nacio Herb Brown, he had writtten many songs for early MGM musicals. They both appeared in "The Broadway Melody" in 1929. Later, in 1945, Freed appeared in "The Clock", a non-musical. He had been a singer in his early days and, in 1944, he dubbed the singing voice of Leon Ames in "Meet Me In St. Louis". That's as far as I can go with the question. I don't know the name of the mystery that he appeared in. I'm curious to find out what it is.

Sorry, Miles. Didn't mean to hold up the thread. Haven't been able to get to my computer the last few days. Yeah, Arthur Freed was who I had in mind & the musical (Meet Me is St. Louis) I knew. Didn't know he was in The Clock.

I'm thrilled with the all the responses and Miles, of course, yours was the most thorough. However, I also spied Freed, my favorite producer, in another MGM movie. In *After The Thin Man*, look at the New Year's Eve surprise party sequence in Nick & Nora's San Francisco home. That's Arthur Freed by the piano.

Freed and Nacio Herb Brown wrote "Smoke Dreams" for this movie, which was performed at the Lichee Restaurant by Penny Singleton.

Miles, you are our "Lucky Star", and so you're up next--

Edited by: cujas on Aug 8, 2011 7:25 PM

Well, you're wait is over. Cujas, I've got a feelin' you're foolin', but I thank you for the kind words. No wonder you like Arthur Freed so much. He came up with your motto: "GOTTA DANCE, GOTTA DANCE!"

Now, There was a movie in which Raymond Burr, in his pre-Perry Mason days, played a lecherous cad who got a woman drunk and then tried to seduce her. She was alert enough to hit him with a fireplace poker and run out of his apartment, leaving her shoes behind. The next morning he turns up dead and she doesn't know if she killed him or somebody finished the job after she left. I think we all know how it turns out. There was a musical guest star in the movie who sang a romantic ballad when the couple were at a nightspot. Who was the singer, what was the song, and of course, what was the movie?

This classic film had 3 well-known actors playing members or future members of a certain distinguished profession. None of the 3 were known for playing professional men, and all of the 3 could easily be said to have been miscast. Film? Actors?