Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Before I answer Lavender's question, I feel that I must do something that I don't like and that's make a correction to someone else's post. The TV series M*A*S*H was obviously adapted from the 1970 movie of the same name. Gary Burghoff even played the same part in both. However, they were adapted from a 1968 book called "MASH", or more correctly,"MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors" by Richard Hooker. Dr. Hooker had been an army doctor in a MASH unit in Korea and based the book on his own personal experiences. In the book, he lampoons the idiocy of war, much as Joseph Heller did with World War II in "Catch-22". The book and the movie both came out during the Viet Nam war, and obvious comparisons between the two wars could be made. The movie "Battle Circus" with Humphrey Bogart and June Allyson was set in a MASH unit, but it was not a comedy.

Now, Francis the talking mule was supposed to be male, with Chill Wills supplying the voice, but the mule was actually a female named Molly who was picked for the part because she was easier to handle than a male mule. We used the have a thread about animal actors and in it we found that Lassie, who was supposed to be a female, was always played by a male collie. The first one in "Lassie Come Home" was a male dog named Pal. In subsequent movies and TV shows, Lassie was played by Pal or one of his male descendants.

Correct Miles. Francis the mule was in reality a female mule, the voice supplied by Chill Wills for the films.

As far as Lassie goes, yes Lassie was a male collie not a female one. Long before the animal thread and I think possibly before you joined the boards, there was a thread called 2 Truths and A Lie. I was the one who posted the question of Lassie first. The Francis question just occurred to me. Good thinking on your part recognizing Francis. Your thread.

Yes, Rex Allen was a popular cowboy star in the 1950's. He made a series of westerns with Slim Pickens as his sidekick. He even starred in a TV series, "Frontier Doctor" in the late 50's. Muddy, you probably knew that one without looking anything up. It's your turn now.

Thanks, Miles. I'm a Rex Allen fan and have been to the Rex Allen museum in Willcox. I also had several Rex Allen comic books which were published by Dell comics in the fifties...

Now, there are three sets of hoof prints on the cement in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater. The first two are Trigger and Champion. Which horse, owned by which actor, provided the third print ?

Thanks. I don't want to bore some people with a lot of horse questions, but I will ask one about a western cowboy star. In the 1930's, a popular radio singer made a series of musical westerns, becoming one of the first singing cowboys in the movies. His career lasted until the early fifties. He once made a movie with a famous athlete of the day. He never became as well known as Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, or Tex Ritter. He was also a bandleader at one time, but that was for a short period. Can you name him?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Edy I think I may have it. The female in the 1930's movie was Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night. She is wearing Gable's trenchcoat while they run through the rain to get to the little room, as soon as they are inside and the door is closed the coat is dry.

The man in the 1940's movie is none other than Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca. He is standing soaking wet on the Paris train platform reading Ilsa's letter but when he gets up onto the train steps he is "miraculously" dry.

If this isn't it, I give up :) !

• 2 weeks later...