Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Edythe, as far as I'm concerned, this thread is yours. stick has not been around to post clues. Awhile ago we took a little poll, 7 days was the cut off for a thread to be tied up. This thread is well past that. Take the thread, or leave it open.

If you know the answer Lav please chime in. The answer seems to be beyond me...I'll leave the thread open to anyone who has a good tidbit.

The key poster in this logjam has been known to abandon a thread in the middle of a question. It's either move on or let the thread fall dormant. Next up:

Zihuatanejo

This is a place name, but not a fictitious one, so it doesn't belong on that thread. Name a well-known movie in which that place has an important role. I have one such movie in mind. If there are more, explain the connection.

Correct Edy. A coastal town in Mexico. I Mapquested it to varify it exists; seems to be a resort area. -- A number of hotels listed, etc. I was disappointed that the *Shawshank* crew went to the Virgin Islands to film that reunion between Andy and Red.

Edythevanhopper's thread.

I had trouble finding it myself. It's used only a couple of times in the movie, and I watched it with Captions turned on, and learned only that it started with a Z and was a pretty long word. Luckily some posters on the IMDb site were also curious about it, and I found the spelling there. Can't pronounce it even yet.

With the thread open again, I'll try another one. A TALE OF TWO MOVIES:

Mid 1960s. Lots of action "Spy" filicks around. The 007 stories were the trendsetters. One movie made then was a satire on the Bond flicks. An open ripoff. British made; one title in the UK; another in the US. The US version had a theme song, performed by a famed American singer.

A movie filmed in the present century. Another espionage film, again one made in England. A very serious story on a very realistic Cold War theme. Story set in the late 1960s, with nothing of gadgets, just dreary facts of espionage and the life that went with it. In one sequence, memory takes over and flashes back to a Christmas party some years earlier. One character remembers a couple of plot-important incidents that make sense now (in his "present"). Dominating the party at this moment: A recording of that American singing the theme of the mid-60s movie is playing, and a number of the partygoers are singing along with it.

The films? The song? The singer?

(16,497)

Edited by: flashback42 on Mar 24, 2012 10:45 PM

The 1960s movie: A ratpacker sang the song on the soundtrack of the American version.

The 21st Cen. movie: A remake of sorts. Had been done before as a BBC miniseries.

The source of the story in the later movie is a 1974 novel about the discovery and exposure of a "mole" in British intelligence services. The plot had some similarities to the real-life events concerning the notorious Kim Philby exposure and defection. The author knew his subject matter; he had worked in British Intel, and was acquainted with Philby. The stories he wrote were in contrast to the more entertaining Bond-type movies. As mentioned, this story had received an earlier treatment in a miniseries.

Oh -- The novel and the miniseries did not include the incident with a Christmas party, and the singing of the theme from an American movie.

At some 150 Views, enough to retire the question. *Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy* and *Smiley's People* are from the same author (John Le Carre) and the latter is a sequel to the former. The mid-60s movie I referenced was *The Second Best Secret Agent In the Whole Wide World*, a satire of Bond movies. The theme was sung by Sammy Davis, Jr.

In a scene in the 2011 filming of *Tinker Tailor*, Davis' record is playing, and a number of people in the party are singing along with it. My "post a link" muscles atrophy when my son isn't home, but anyone interested can track it down and hear Mr. Davis' version of the song.

♫ Not the tenth, ninth, eighth, seventh, sixth or fifth or fourth or third or first when a challange is hurled♪...

But the second best secret agent in the whole wide bloomin' world! ♫

(spoken) I think!

Edy's thread.

Edited by: flashback42 on Mar 26, 2012 7:44 PM

This iconic duo and their "cohort" launched one of the most popular film series with a low budget film that went on to earn a nomination for best picture. Title of the original film and what the title actually refers to.

Finance, you'll probably say this is none of my business, but I think some things about this board ought to be said.

And it's this: If you ask a question, and somebody answers that question CORRECTLY, then you should admit they have done so... even if their answer is not the one you had in mind.

You asked, what do Rod Taylor, James Garner, James Cagney, and Ronald Reagan all have in common, right? So, when lavenderblue answers that they all appeared in films with Doris Day, and that answer is correct... (and it IS) then you should admit it, and let lavblue take the next question.

Face it, there may be TWENTY things these men all have in common... starting with, they're all MEN... or they've all appeared in Warner Bros. films... and somebody comes up with an answer that is CORRECT, but not the answer you were thinking of, then you should swallow your pride and admit they have won the game.

Lavender is correct in that they all appeared in movies with Doris Day, and that is indeed part of the answer. However, more specific information is needed about that fact. It's not JUST that they all appeared in movies with Doris Day. Many, many actors appeared in films with Doris Day.

Edited by: finance on Mar 30, 2012 10:02 AM

Hi dan. The rules once and for all is that when there is guess, another clue is to be given. As far as I'm concerned when you write more specific information is needed., THAT IS NOT A CLUE. You be more specific and give us a new clue. PLEASE

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Mar 30, 2012 12:41 PM

I'll try--Doris got top billing in all these movies.

And if that doesn't work--Farty Belcher was the co-producer in all the movies. (I'm really trying hard on the last one.)

Nice try, but no.

Hint: These four actors who were in movies with Doris were the only four people in the world that have this in common, with respect to being in movies with Doris. So the four actors represent a complete universe of having this in common.

Edited by: finance on Mar 30, 2012 5:13 PM

Each leading man appeared in 2 films with Doris?

Cagney- *Love Me Or Leave Me* and *West Point Story*

Garner- *The Thrill Of It All* and *Move Over Darling*

Taylor- *Do Not Disturb* and *The Glass Bottom Boat*

Reagan - *Storm Warning* and *The Winning Team*

Correct, and these are the only actors that STARRED in 2 films in which Doris appeared. Gordon McRae, Rock Hudson and Jack Carson starred in 3 films in which Doris appeared. Yours, Lavender.

By now we all know about the grief Melcher caused Doris Day financially. One of her very close friends and co-stars unfortunately gave money to Melcher. He not only lost the money that this famous actor had given Melcher but also had a $500,000 tax penalty to pay. Who was Doris' co-star and friend that Melcher financially hurt?