Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate Movie Trivia

The third one I think may be Frances Farmer who made *The Party Crashers* in 1958. That was her last film.

I thought I had #2 as well, but then I saw where you said she's still alive - stumped again.....

Miles, Ms. Durbin is right, but with For the Love of Mary. As to the third actress, she's is not the actress you mentioned caty, but is instead an actress who was arrested twice for shoplifting, once some time in the 1960s and once much later. As I said before, I have used this actress for an answer on another thread. Hopefully, that will help.

I just wanted you to know that my confusion with Deanna Durbin's movies came from Wikipedia, where it says that "For The Love Of Mary" was released as 'Something In The Wind"

* In 1946, Universal merged with two other companies to create[universal-International|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal-International|Universal-International]. The new regime discontinued much of Universal's familiar product and scheduled only a few musicals. Durbin stayed on for another four pictures, but her last two releases, [up in Central Park|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_in_Central_Park|Up in Central Park] (1948), a film adaptation of the 1945 Broadway musical, and a project announced as For the Love of Mary and finally released as*[something in the Wind|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_in_the_Wind|Something in the Wind]* *(1947), saw her box-office clout diminish." *

A check of IMDB shows that they were two separate movies. I guess it's true that you can't believe everything you read.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Aug 4, 2012 11:20 AM

Thanks. There was a British musical star who had a stage career in both Great Britain and the U.S. He also made about 30 movies, a few of which were American. He was one of the stars in a well known MGM musical. Earlier, in the 1930's, he had the unique distinction of filming a movie version of a musical show while concurrently starring in that show on stage in England. Can you name him and the name of the show?

Now finance, you know I don't like partial answers. What was the name of the show? Obviously, I was inspired by your Buchanan response, incorrect though it was, in the "Same Name No Relation" thread a few days ago. I was just waiting for the opportunity to post these.

Last nite TCM aired a bio of Cagney, narrated by Michael J Fox. According to what was said last nite, Cagney had to deliver his lines with rapid fire and was having trouble doing it. He decided that he was just too old to continue in films, and that's why he retired for 20 years. Wilder having Cagney repeat scenes many times till he got the dialog right was not the reason he retired. It's so hard to know what's true, what we read on the internet or what we hear on documentaries.

I'm not arguing that Cagney disliked Horst, I'm sure he did. I'm not arguing that it's possible that because Wilder made Cagney do a scene repeadly that may have been the reason he decided to walk away from films. I'm just saying this is the info in the Cagney documentary produced by TCM narrated by Michael J Fox that was aired last nmite., Cagney felt he had so much difficulty doing what use to come so easily to him, that he felt it was time for him to retire.