Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Edythe--I can't get up early enough or really stay up watching movies late enough to get ahead of you. Yes, it's early Grant who is already the Cary Grant, along with a very sweet Everett Horton, who is always perfect.

Edythe, your turn--

Is this it ?

A special Oscar statuette was awarded to Walt Disney in

1939 by Shirley Temple for 'Snow White and the Seven

Dwarfs' that shows an Oscar figure accompanied by

seven 'dwarf' Oscar figures.

2wf377m.jpg

Name the film

This film premiered in San Francisco on May 9, 1958 at the Stage Door Theater at Mason and

Geary (now the Ruby Skye nightclub). Its performance at the box office was average, and reviews were mixed. Variety said the film .... was too long and slow for "what is basically only a ....murder mystery". Similarly, the Los Angeles Times admired the scenery, but found the plot "too long" and felt it "bogs down" in "a maze of detail"; scholar Dan Aulier says that this review "sounded the tone that most popular critics would take with the film". However, the Los Angeles Examiner loved it, admiring the "excitement, action, romance, glamor and crazy, off-beat love story". As well, New York Times film critic Bosley Crowther also gave this film a positive review by explaining that "the secret of the film is so clever, even though it is devilishly far-fetched." Additional reasons for the mixed response initially were that this director's fans were not pleased with his departure from the romantic-thriller territory of earlier films and that the mystery was solved with one-third of the film left to go.

The director blamed the film's failure on the lead male actor , at age 50, looking too old to play a convincing love interest for the actress, who at 25 was half his age at the time.

This film was removed from circulation in 1973 and re-released in 1983 and then on home video in October 1984, it achieved an impressive commercial success and laudatory reviews. Similarly adulatory reviews were written for the October 1996 showing of a restored print in 70mm and DTS sound at the Castro Theater in San Francisco.

Edythe--I would ordinarily chide you for using a 2000 movie--but I am the biggest Downton Abbey fan west of the Wide Missouri. And I've always been fond of Ivor Novello.

Julian Fellowes may have won the Oscar for Gosford Park, but I think he was just warming up to write his real masterpiece, Downton Abbey.

And, of course, the character of Ivor Novello came too to Gosford Park and there was even talk about the Lodger movie.

FYI- The Dowager Countess Lady Grantham, aka Maggie Smith, also came to Gosford Park.

Edythe, shall we take tea now?

Thanks for your eloquent answer! I am a fervent Downton Abbey fan too. Wouldn't it be loverly to have tea there? We can! (for a pretty pound or 2). Look up Highclere Castle sometime when you have the time. (That's the real name of Downton Abbey). It sits on an area larger than Central Park, in the family since the 17th centruy and has a worth of 150 million British pounds. Thanks to Charlie Chan in London which was the spark of Gosford Park. Cujas, enjoy your tea.

I'm definitely a fan of *Downton Abbey*, and glad to know you all are, too! :-)

There is a wonderful special about Higclere Castle on PBS, and I just saw it. Fascinating history! I certainly agree that *Gosford Park* was an excellent prelude to *Downton Abbey* for Julian Fellowes*.* I fell in love with *Mr. Bates!*

Well, someday we'll all have tea at Highclere and I will invite the chauffeur!

Next--Let's stay with castles, i like them. What famous 12th century castle in Ireland was home to a female American Musical Comedy Star--not by birth, or money--but by marriage?

Hint: she was not a movie star, but her brother was one of the biggest.