Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

Thanks. Can't wait for tonite. I'm routing for Elizabeth (Peg) Christina( Joanie) Jared (Lane) and the BIGGEST SIGH- JON! As far as I'm concerned the whole cast should be nominated. I hope the show WINS, and has a BIG sweep. ;) Be back with a question,unless someone has one handy to post, then be my guest.

BOO, Mad Men was gypped!!!! :_|

next:

This show business entertainer claimed that this entertainer was the love of her life. Unfortunately, her father didn't agree.He wound up marrying another actress Who were the 3 involved???

Lav, I was thinking about this subject the other night. I wonder if we're tuned in to a similiar circuit.

I bought 2 movies starring Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin.--But I never got it out of my mind about Connie Francis claiming that she was his real love. What gives?--Scarlett Billows?

According to the Connie Francis autobiography ( I also heard this on the A&E Biography, years ago)

Bobby was writing some songs for Connie when they both were getting started in their careers.They were dating. Connie's father was a very strict, and didn't like Bobby. Bobby and Connie use to perform on the same bill for some shows and Bobby told Connie he wanted them to elope. Connie's father heard about it and showed up at one of the shows they were doing together with a gun. He threatened Bobby and told him to never see Connie again. Bobby hi tailed it out of the buliding. Some time later they were to do a taping of This Is Your Life together. Connie and her father were driving into the Lincoln Tunnel when on the car radio it was announced that Bobby and Sandra were married. Her father said something to the the effect he was glad that Bobby was now out of their lives forever. In her autiobiography Connie said she was so angry that she said she wished the Hudson River would flood the Lincoln Tunnel and that she and her father would be killed. She also wrote that not marrying Bobby was the biggest mistake she ever made.

Life really turn didn't out well of the 3 of them. So sad. So that's the story, cujas.

Now it's your turn to enlighten us! ;)

I never knew how close Connie and Bobby were! I must have missed her autobiography. It sounds so interesting. And how sad that it happened on such a special night created just to celebrate her life.

Lav--I read a bio of Bobby's life--It is so violent and sad it reads like Piaf's La Vie en Rose.

Next is one of my favorite stories--I don't know if I've told it recently, if I have, well, it's still a good one.

A classic movie star actress vacations in France in the 1950's and meets a French man, brings him home and marries him.

He only stays with her long enough to start a movie career and get linked to 3 other female actresses--one of which he also marries.

Hint: Both ladies that he married are Oscar recipients. Please name all the principals involved.

Yea--the old hypnotic eye got them.

Allegedly he stalked Phyllis Kirk when he was married to Dot Malone.

And while he was going with Eva Gabor, she got him the job as the Skating Instructor in "Gigi". Much to Minnelli's horror, when he arrived to shoot the scene, they discovered that Jacques couldn't ice skate! More time and money wasted--they had to start over and make it a processed shot.

As we use to say, Ginger should have left him on the Left Bank!

Lav-blue Rose, it's all yours--

Thanks. Never understood the bad judgement these woman had. You'd think Ginger and Dorothy would have known better. Sounds like the foundation for a movie.

next:

To get the performance from this actress he was looking for, this director did not let this actress rehearse a scene in this 1940's film. The result was she's appeared nervous and hesitant especially performing in front of the A list actors that were in this scene with her. That was what the director wanted. Name the film, actress and director???

I think it is Key Largo -- Claire Trevor is the actress (winning the Academy Award for best supporting actress) and John Houston is the director. A heart-wrenching scene when she sings before Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lareen Bacall and Lionell Barrymore.

Absolutely Correct, FanofCary. *Key Largo* - EGR having Claire Trevor sing for her drink. John Huston purposely wanted Ms. Trevor to to be unrehearsed so her performance would be hesitant and nervous. I agree, a heartwrenching performance. Excellent FanofCary, it's your thread. :)

Thanks --

I will leave this thread open for someone else to pick up. Work is intruding too much on personal life this week.

This actor made over 350 appearances in films from 1923 to 1953, making a career out of uncredited bits. He was given billing in only a handful of films, one of them a 1940 musical with a famous pair, but mostly the films with his name in the credits were short 'b' westerns. His brother was more known, having been seen in supporting character roles throughout his life, usually as a pleasant and uncomplicated person, sometimes henpecked, who worked with big stars such as John Wayne, James Stewart, and Claudette Colbert, to name only a few. And, the daughter of the actor, who made over 350 uncredited appearances, became a noted soap opera actress and villain. Name all three people.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Oct 9, 2012 9:50 AM

Thanks. There was a movie star of the thirties and forties who used his real name in his billing. He was sometimes a leading man, sometimes a second lead, and once in a while, playing against type, a villain. He had a good movie career, but did not quite reach the "A' list of actors. In the late forties, he appeared on a successful radio series. That led to a well known sitcom on TV. In his later years, he starred in a highly rated TV dramatic series. Like Guy Kibbee, he also had a brother who was an actor. The brother was a little older. In fact, the brother started in silent films, often in short subjects. When he started, he also was billed under his own name, but by the mid 1930's, he graduated to features. He changed his name then, but unfortunately, the name he used was the same as that of a later well known leading man. It probably didn't matter, because almost all of his film appearances were in unbilled bit parts, playing cabbies, cops, reporters, store clerks, and the like. From the mid 1920's to the early 1950's, he made over two hundred film appearances. We posted about these actors on these boards some time ago. Perhaps you remember. Can you name them?