Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

I had not done any research when I first answered the question, but I did a little since. Here's what Wikipedia says about "The Battle Of New Orleans".

{font:sans-serif}The melody is based on a well-known American {font}[fiddle tune|http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Old%E2%80%93time_music&action=edit&redlink=1|Old–time music (page does not exist)]{font:sans-serif} "The 8th of January", which was the date of the Battle of New Orleans. {font}[Jimmy Driftwood|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Driftwood|Jimmy Driftwood]{font:sans-serif}, a school principal in {font}[Arkansas|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas|Arkansas]{font:sans-serif} with a passion for {font}[history|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History|History]{font:sans-serif}, set an account of the battle to this music in an attempt to get students interested in learning history. It seemed to work, and Driftwood became well known in the region for his historical songs. He was "discovered" in the late 1950s by Don Warden, and eventually was given a recording contract by RCA, for whom he recorded 12 songs in 1958, including "The Battle of New Orleans".

{font}

So the song was written before the movie came out, but Johnny Horton's version came out after the movie was released. I have to think that it was just timing by the record company to take advantage of the movie's popularity. In a similar vein, Gene Pitney had a hit with "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", but that song was not in the movie's soundtrack. It came out a little later.

Now. an historical drama that was made in the 1930's was remade in the 1950's. The director of the original did not direct the remake, but he did produce it. An actor who appeared in the original served as the director of the remake, although he did not appear as an actor in the remake. Several of the supporting actors from the original also appeared in the remake, but in different roles. Can you name the movies? Can you name the two directors? Can you name any of the supporting actors who were in both movies?

That's the movie. Anthony Quinn was in the first one which was directed by DeMille. Demille produced the remake, but his health would not allow him to direct, so he asked his son-in -law, Quinn to direct. Douglass Dumbrille was in both, as were as a couple of minor supporting actors. You can look up the cast lists on IMDB to check. After just having a question about "The Buccaneer", I'm surprised that this one was unanswered for so long. Lana's thread.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Mar 19, 2013 1:04 PM

This leading actress said she and her costar had no chemistry and that that was one of the reasons this movie flopped, despite the fact they were playing man and wife in this 1948 comedy-drama. Name the film, the actress and the actor, who is an Oscar winner.

Edited by: allaboutlana on Mar 27, 2013 11:42 AM

Thanks Lana.

Both Betty Grable and Judy Garland turned down a role in a film. The actress who did play the role won an Oscar. Name the Oscar winner and why did Betty and Judy turn down the that role?

Both Betty Grable and Judy Garland turned down the role of Sophie in W. Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" because they found it too depressing. The role went to Anne Baxter, who went on to win a Best Supporting Actress Oscar Award.

Correct Tom. The film *The Razor's Edge* . They found the role too depressing. Love this film, one of my all time favorites. Great work, it's your thread. :)

Thanks. Who was the first person to present himself with an Academy Award during the Oscars, and for what achievement ?

I don't know about Walt Disney. I think they created the Short Subject category initially to honor his Silly Symphony cartoons. The person I was thinking of was a composer who was announcing the winner, opened the envelope, and was surprised to see his name as the winner.

In 1907, a producer came to shoot exteriors for The Count of Monte Cristo which was the birth of Hollywood. How did it Hollywood get its' name??

No guesses? Hint: It's sad that those whose home was the root of the name Hollywood weren't so lucky on film...masacred by the thousands in film after film until the late 40s.

Question wasn't very popular so to move along, Hollywood was originally know as The Holy Wood by the Cahuenga Indians. In 1907 Cecil B. DeMille determined the climate etc was good for filming releasing The Squaw Man in 1913. Open thread.

The Hollywood sign was originally built by a developer to advertise a new development and read "Hollywoodland". It was only a temporary billboard to last a year or so. The movie business changed all that. First the H was destroyed in an accident, then "land" was removed in the 40s. After decades of deterioration, the O splintered & in '78 Alice Cooper waged a campaign to restore the sign and in 2005 it was stripped back to metal and painted white. Wikipedia pointed out that best picture "Argo" used the sign in a dilapidated state but historically it would have been in a renovated state in '79.

I guess I expounded a little, huh... Which film has had the largest make-up budget in the history of film?