Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-Code version of THE LETTER w/ Jeanne Eagels

jaymuss-eato

>I'm praying to the pre-code GODS that the Original 1929 version of "THE LETTER" will be released in the not-2-distant-future...as well as ANY and ALL other JEANNE EAGELS films being aired and or RELEASED on DVD.

-jaymuss

PS; JOHN GILBERT festival at the end of AUGUST...and another chance to see the incredibly under-rated (Gilbert-penned) talkie; "DOWNSTAIRS".

**Jack Gilbert's talkies are TRAGICALLY under-rated...I even like the movies HE hated.

**...like "GENTLMEN's FATE" for example...

**...His Biography is a good read...it's called "DARK STAR" and it's written by his daughter; Leatrice Gilbert Fountain.

...Anybody who knows how to score a bootleg dvd / vhs of the Original LETTER should please contact me...

socialkritic@hotmail.com

...also looking for the JEANNE EAGELS biography; "the RAIN GIRL, the tragic story of Jeanne Eagels"...by EDWARD DOHERTY...published in 1930.

Cheers,

>Jaymuss<

I would hope that the 1929 version of 'The Letter" would be shown in the near future on TCM since they made their film deal with Universal. This version is a Paramount film and from what I recall Universal owns the rights to the pre 1949 Paramount features. One would think they would show it during the Oscars month as Ms. Eagels was nominated as best actress for this film. I don't care when they show it but I sure hope they do show it sometime soon. The film was restored.

The 1929 THE LETTER is actually owned by WB. They bought the rights when they did the Davis remake. There is a restored print of the '29 version at UCLA, but as I understand it, plans to issue it were scrapped when a scene (a fight between a mongoose and a snake) became an issue because nobody could figure out where that piece of film came from and they were afraid of a rights violation. I think it's still being researched, but who knows if will ever be resolved.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just saw the video. I doubt I would ever have seen this woman in action except for it. I now have something to balance the sordid stories I've heard about her life. Thank you.

I had no ides that Herbert Marshall was in both films, here as the murdered cad and in the Bette Davis version as the cuckolded husband. For someone with a devilish name you certainly did a heavenly deed for movie fans everywhere.

Archived