Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name the pre-1970 film

I'm still laughing.

One of our favorite wineries in the NY Finger Lakes is Silver Thread on Seneca Lake and they have an image of a turtle on their label so my wife and I call it the Gammera winery.

Next question:

This basic story has been made into numerous movies with the same title, the majority made before 1970.

What is the title of these movies and in the 1940's version, how did the villan get his name?

• Like 1

I'm still laughing.

One of our favorite wineries in the NY Finger Lakes is Silver Thread on Seneca Lake and they have an image of a turtle on their label so my wife and I call it the Gammera winery.

Next question:

This basic story has been made into numerous movies with the same title, the majority made before 1970.

What is the title of these movies and in the 1940's version, how did the villan get his name?

maybe time for another clue, thanks

I'm guessing that you mean films that are based on the story of Jack the Ripper.  Some of those films are:  The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (1927), The Lodger (aka The Phantom Fiend) (1932), The Lodger (1944) and Man in the Attic (1953).  In the 1944 film, Laird Cregar's character (Mr. Slade) got his name from a street sign. 

Azure,

Exactly.

I was looking for "The Lodger" since that title was used at least 3 times = in 1927, 1944 and then 2009.

And yes, Slade made up his name after noticing the street sign for "Slade Walk" just before renting a room.

Your thread.

Chase A Crooked Shadow, Anne Baxter ?? I've seen this one on TCM, but not in a couple of years.

You got it!  This is such a great film.  It's another one on my personal "essentials" list.  I hope that TCM shows this movie again soon. 

Your turn, Lavender.

Thanks. I was picturing the film in my head, with that villa on the hill, and the wrought iron in the front entrance, but took me awhile to remember the name of the film and that it was Anne Baxter. I finally remembered it was Herbert Lom, I kept thinking Herbert Marshall LOL I agree, excellent film :)

A woman gives a man a wild turkey sandwich and he says it's the best turkey he's ever eaten.

The lead actress and an actor in the film who played the man she was engaged to but didn't love, had appeared together in a famous film before this. In that prior film, he played her love interest, but she didn't love him and fell in love with the lead actor in the film instead.