Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name the pre-1970 film

18 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, I'd gladly answer, but I just can't think of the film, sorry.

Lav, I think I can gladly give you a couple of hints.

The boyfriend was a leading man in the 1930s, who was very popular, but on the downturn by the mid-forties when this film was made.

While the young actress, playing his girlfriend, was on the way to stellar stardom in the mid-forties.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This question has been up for about seven weeks.  I would think that if no one has gotten it in a few weeks, it might be time to give the answer.  I've never seen this movie, but from the clues I would guess that it's "Whistle Stop" from 1946.  George Raft played the boyfriend, Ava Gardner was the young woman, Victor McLaglen was the best friend, and Tom Conway was the nightclub owner.  From the clues, I figured it starred George Raft.  I then just checked his filmography from the 1940's.   Ava Gardner was so much younger than Raft that their relationship would have been hard to believe.

Whistle Stop (1946) 

6 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

This question has been up for about seven weeks.  I would think that if no one has gotten it in a few weeks, it might be time to give the answer.  I've never seen this movie, but from the clues I would guess that it's "Whistle Stop" from 1946.  George Raft played the boyfriend, Ava Gardner was the young woman, Victor McLaglen was the best friend, and Tom Conway was the nightclub owner.  From the clues, I figured it starred George Raft.  I then just checked his filmography from the 1940's.   Ava Gardner was so much younger than Raft that their relationship would have been hard to believe.

Whistle Stop (1946) 

Miles, thanks for the beautiful poster.

Yes, George Raft was the name above the title, but he looked more like her father than her boyfriend. :D

And next time, don't wait 7 weeks to answer the question--

Miles, you know your guesses are always right!

Head Em Up,

Move Em Out!

Your turn...

Perhaps you will know this one.

A somewhat low-life private eye is hired by a crime boss to find the woman who robbed him of a large sum of money and then fled.  The private eye finds her in a foreign country, but he falls for her, so they plot to run away together.  Unfortunately, the crime boss shows up and their plans change a bit. 

You are correct, Lafitte.  "Out Of The Past" was just shown on TCM this past weekend.  Part of the movie is set in the very small town of Bridgeport, California, which is actually a very small town on the California-Nevada border.  I thought that it was strange that Robert Mitchum in the film lived there, while in real  life he was from Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Lafitte, it's your turn to post the next question.

Thanks, Miles

This comedy has a protagonist that may surprise. You might ask, gosh, I didn't know she did comedy. Well, she doesn't really. Just this one. She takes a job to help out her father but also the war effort as well. Trouble is, she can't get on a military base overseas during wartime unless she is ...............

If you can finish the sentence, you know the actress and the title of the movie.

CLUE

,,,unless she gets married or find someone to pretend to be married to. She succeeds of the latter.  It's no surprise that there would be further rapprochement for the two. The actress protagonist is extremely famous and I think her to be a favorite with just everybody . She is impossible to dislike, to my mind. Although primarily an actress, she has directed a bit.

17 hours ago, laffite said:

Thanks, Miles

This comedy has a protagonist that may surprise. You might ask, gosh, I didn't know she did comedy. Well, she doesn't really. Just this one. She takes a job to help out her father but also the war effort as well. Trouble is, she can't get on a military base overseas during wartime unless she is ...............

If you can finish the sentence, you know the actress and the title of the movie.

Sounds like Pillow To Post with Ida Lupino. Cute film. TCM shows it every so often, when they do I usually watch it ?

:) Oh, you are SOOOO correct :)

Ida is not comedienne and presumably not so schooled in that discipline as comediennes proper. It made her come across all the cuter. She was wonderful in that film. Sidney G plays against type as the base commander, lots of smiles and good will from Sid.

You're on duty now Lav : question please.

Thanks lafitte

A man has been arrested and is about to be hanged. At the last minute he enters a different cell and another man who's been arrested walks into his cell. The heated crowd breaks into the jail and mistakingly takes the wrong man and hang him. The guilty man rides away,  swearing that he will avenge the other man's death. 

18 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

A man has been arrested and is about to be hanged. At the last minute he enters a different cell and another man who's been arrested walks into his cell. The heated crowd breaks into the jail and mistakingly takes the wrong man and hang him. The guilty man rides away,  swearing that he will avenge the other man's death. 

Clue ?

laffite, it's only been 18 hrs ago since I posted the question and what I wrote was comprehensive. I'm one of the few posters that have posted in a timely way, some here don't post for days.
We certainly do not need to post clues more than one a day and it's a guess =clue., so  please take it easy.

He takes his revenge on the men responsible for hanging the innocent man. He then rides off to his mother's house. A man who had committed robberies with him in the past shows up and tells him of a bank robbery he has planned.