Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zasupittsfan

ZaSu Pitts in "Greed" coming in September!

Observe:

Program Title: Greed

CAST: Gibson Gowland, ZaSu Pitts, Jean Hersholt.

DIR: Erich von Stroheim.

Silent. 239 mins.

PLAYING ON TCM: 22-Sep-10 08:30 AM

HD if you got it!

This is one I'm looking forward to...it's nearly four hours in length (which may explain why it doesn't get shown much on television). Supposedly, the original version was nearly 10 hours!

It's a restoration with photos filling in for some of the deleted scenes. Those who know better can go into more detail, but if memory serves the version that got shown in theaters back in the day ran around 140 minutes, and even at that running time I think it's too long.

The one thing I can say in its defense is that I wish von Stroheim had had widescreen cameras for the Death Valley scenes; it would have made David Lean's work in *Lawrence of Arabia* look pedestrian.

It's definitely the restored version with the photos standing in for the deleted scenes. Some people like it very much, others consider it not much better than a slide show with some movie scenes.

I think it works very well and if you haven't seen it, by all means make the time to see it and make your own decision about it.

The restoration funds were supplied by Turner Entertainment. In addition, they did a similar restoration of *London After Midnight* the famous Lon Chaney lost film. That one is done with all photos and sometimes airs in October to coincide with Halloween.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

> This is one I'm looking forward to...it's nearly four hours in length (which may explain why it doesn't get shown much on television).

And it's a silent, which most people won't give the time of day for, unfortunately. This is one worth recording as it's among the silent films Warner is waffling on releasing as a special edition DVD/Blu-ray.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

>Supposedly, the original version was nearly 10 hours!

Yep, you can hear the story on this episode of the brilliant documentary "Hollywood"...

Hollywood - A Celebration of the American Silent Film Episode 07: The Autocrats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENntEq52lE

Stroheim realized it was far too long and cut it down to six hours to be played over two nights. He was even willing to cut it to four hours (with assistance from Rex Ingram.) The producers fired him and had it cut to the familiar version by people who weren't involved in the production. Of course, the rest of the film was later destroyed.

This is a great silent, based upon Frank Norris' novel "McTeague." Stroheim attempted to film the book almost page by page; hence, the original 10-hour running time. If I recall correctly, Stroheim appeared in the film selling balloons at an amusement park; however, that scene was cut.

If you have not read the novel, I would recommend it very highly.