Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

On 11/4/2020 at 12:59 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This Academy Award-winning actor appeared in two Hitchcock Hollywood films in a row.

In one he was a hero and in the other one he was a villain.

When you identify this actor, also give us the names of the two Hitchcock movies he appeared in.

I'm thinking it's George Sanders. He's a Best Supporting Actor Oscar winner ( for All About Eve). The 2 Hitchcock films that he appeared in, in a row would be Foreign Correspondant and Rebecca ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm thinking it's George Sanders. He's a Best Supporting Actor Oscar winner ( for All About Eve). The 2 Hitchcock films that he appeared in, in a row would be Foreign Correspondant and Rebecca ???

You marvelous woman, I was just working on a couple of hints for you, but you obviously don't need them.

I bet you're a George Sanders fan just like me. These were his two greatest roles in my opinion.

Lav-- Thanks for the answer, your turn.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, you're welcome and yes I am a fan of George Sanders acting. Maybe take a look at the Husbands and wives thread that I've posted a question in.

next

There have been a few of Hitch's films loosely based on true stories. An important point in this film loosely based on a real life incident is a head injury that a character had in the past and that changed his behavior. Film, character and actor who played the part ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks, you're welcome and yes I am a fan of George Sanders acting. Maybe take a look at the Husbands and wives thread that I've posted a question in.

next

There have been a few of Hitch's films loosely based on true stories. An important point in this film loosely based on a real life incident is a head injury that a character had in the past and that changed his behavior. Film, character and actor who played the part ???

Lav, I wanted to give someone else an opportunity to participate on this thread.

Especially since your question is so well-written and it's about Hitchcock.

So, the film is "Shadow of a Doubt" and the star was Joseph Cotten, who played Uncle Charlie.

The Oscar-winning female co-star was Teresa Wright.

Joseph Cotten also co-starred in the Hitchcock film "Under Capricorn" with Ingrid Bergman.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, I wanted to give someone else an opportunity to participate on this thread.

Especially since your question is so well-written and it's about Hitchcock.

So, the film is "Shadow of a Doubt" and the star was Joseph Cotten, who played Uncle Charlie.

The Oscar-winning female co-star was Teresa Wright.

Joseph Cotten also co-starred in the Hitchcock film "Under Capricorn" with Ingrid Bergman.

 

Correct. Earle Nelson was a serial killer, Uncle Charlie's character was based on Nelson. Uncle Charlie's sister Emma (Patricia Collinge) talks about how Uncle Charlie had a bicyle accident as a boy suffering a head injury and he was never the same again. Earle Nelson suffered a head injury after a bicyle accident he had as a boy. Joseph Cotten of course played serial killer Uncle Charlie, Teresa Wright was his niece Charlie, in Shadow Of A Doubt.

As far as I'm concerned, Joseph Cotten, a fine actor, was always gipped by the Academy, he never was nominated for an Oscar for any of his wonderful performances.

Good work Princess, your turn to post.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Would that be "The 39 Steps" with Robert Donat?

Of course, it would be and it is simply one of the best by the Master of Suspense.

BTW-- Robert Donat really did deserve that 1939 Oscar for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips". ;)

Miles, a perfect answer as usual. And now it's your turn to:

ride'em in and cut 'em out with the next question.....

 Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Princess.  You know that if Alfred Hitchcock had made westerns, I would be asking about them.  Here's one with a western tie-in.  

We all remember the episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" where a woman murders her husband with a frozen leg of lamb.  When the police are in her home to investigate, she cooks the lamb and serves it to them.  Thus, the police actually eat the evidence.  Who is the actress who played the wife and what western star played her ill-fated husband?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the episode is Lamb to the Slaughter courtesy of Roald Dahl.  Got a kick watching Savannah Guthrie say (in response to the remake of The Witches) that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Willie Wonka  were definite kids' fare (there is an underlying cruelty in the fate of those young children).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 7:15 AM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  You know that if Alfred Hitchcock had made westerns, I would be asking about them.  Here's one with a western tie-in.  

We all remember the episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" where a woman murders her husband with a frozen leg of lamb.  When the police are in her home to investigate, she cooks the lamb and serves it to them.  Thus, the police actually eat the evidence.  Who is the actress who played the wife and what western star played her ill-fated husband?

I can remember seeing that a few years ago on Me-TV but I had no idea that he was Mister Ed at the time.

Barbara Bel Geddes played the wife and she, of course, was James Stewart's old College girlfriend in "Vertigo".

Allan Lane, who played the husband, was known as Rocky during his "B" Western career, but reached greater stardom off- screen as the voice of Mr. Ed,

of course, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, Princess.  Barbara Bel Geddes was the wife in the episode that was shown on TV just weeks after "Vertigo" opened in theaters.  

Allan "Rocky" Lane had been a big "B" movie western star in the forties.  He played Red Ryder in several movies with Robert Blake as Little Beaver.  For years very few people knew that he was the voice of Mr. Ed.  

Chaya should have answered the entire question, but since Princess did, then Princess gets to go next.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

You are correct, Princess.  Barbara Bel Geddes was the wife in the episode that was shown on TV just weeks after "Vertigo" opened in theaters.  

Allan "Rocky" Lane had been a big "B" movie western star in the forties.  He played Red Ryder in several movies with Robert Blake as Little Beaver.  For years very few people knew that he was the voice of Mr. Ed.  

Chaya should have answered the entire question, but since Princess did, then Princess gets to go next.

Thanks, Tex--

Since Chaya came up with the kernel of the answer:

On 11/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

I believe the episode is Lamb to the Slaughter courtesy of Roald Dahl.  Got a kick watching Savannah Guthrie say (in response to the remake of The Witches) that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Willie Wonka  were definite kids' fare (there is an underlying cruelty in the fate of those young children).

She can have first dibs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie is "The Lady Vanishes" from 1938.  Passengers on a European train tour are temporarily staying at a hotel.  Two Englishmen, Charters and Caldicott are wondering about the cricket matches back in England.  They are sitting at a table discussing cricket when one of them uses sugar cubes to illustrate a point he is making about a game.  Two women at the next table are having tea.  They are Miss Henderson, a young woman, and Mrs. Froy, an older woman.  They ask one of the gentlemen to please pass the sugar, which he does.  Later, when they all resume their tour on a train, Mrs. Froy has vanished.  The two gentlemen, when questioned, remember passing the sugar to someone, but because they were so engrossed in their conversation about cricket, they say that they don't recall to whom. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...