Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks Chaya. 

This actor worked with Hitchcock a few times in films and tv. In one film he's got an important part as far as the plot line goes, although he's only seen for a few minutes in the film. In another film he has a lead role. Actor and the 2 films ???

Edmund Gwenn had a pivotal plot role in "Foreign Correspondent" and a lead role in "The Trouble with Harry."

15 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Chaya. 

This actor worked with Hitchcock a few times in films and tv. In one film he's got an important part as far as the plot line goes, although he's only seen for a few minutes in the film. In another film he has a lead role. Actor and the 2 films ???

Princess, I'm going to give this one to you since it's true about Edmund Gwenn, however, I was thinking of another actor and 2 films.  My next clue would have ruled him out but with the info in the first clue, he fits too. Good work your thread,

• Like 1
18 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, I'm going to give this one to you since it's true about Edmund Gwenn, however, I was thinking of another actor and 2 films.  My next clue would have ruled him out but with the info in the first clue, he fits too. Good work your thread,

Thanks.

But just for the record, I was going to say Leo G Caroll, but changed my mind.

Was that the one you were thinking of?

Miles is correct. Bruce Dern is the one I was thinking about. He plays that very important role in Marnie as the sailor that Marnie kills and has the male lead in Family Plot. Leo did not appear in any of the Hitchcock tv shows. Edmund and Bruce did. My next clue was going to be that the actor was born in the USA, That would have ruled out Edmund and Leo. Good work Miles for thinking of Bruce Dern. Princess it's still your thread :)

• Thanks 1

Good Evening.....

This actor has Hitchcock credits in a little bit of everything.

He appeared in small roles in two Hitchcock British films, one silent and one talkie.

He appeared on  "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" several times.

But he's best remembered for an important and pivotal role in a Hitchcock Hollywood masterpiece.

After his long British film career, he came to Hollywood and worked with Hitchcock again and with some other prominent Hollywood directors like, Vincent Minnelli, Otto Preminger and Charles Walters.

When you identify this actor, also list his most famous Hitchcock movie and one of his other Hollywood successes.

22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Good Evening.....

This actor has Hitchcock credits in a little bit of everything.

He appeared in small roles in two Hitchcock British films, one silent and one talkie.

He appeared on  "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" several times.

But he's best remembered for an important and pivotal role in a Hitchcock Hollywood masterpiece.

After his long British film career, he came to Hollywood and worked with Hitchcock again and with some other prominent Hollywood directors like, Vincent Minnelli, Otto Preminger and Charles Walters.

When you identify this actor, also list his most famous Hitchcock movie and one of his other Hollywood successes.

Hint#1--He appeared often on classic TV, and not just anthology shows like Hitchcock's, but also on popular TV series of every type--comedy, drama, westerns, and sci-fi horror.

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--He appeared often on classic TV, and not just anthology shows like Hitchcock's, but also on popular TV series of every type--comedy, drama, westerns, and sci-fi horror.

Tom Helmore?  He was in The Ring, Secret Agent and the Hitchcock masterpiece he was in would be Vertigo. He was Elster in Vertigo. He was in The Tender Trap a Charles Walters Film, Designing Woman a Vincente Minnelli film and Advise and Consent a Preminger film. He was in a couple of episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents ?????????????

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Tom Helmore?  He was in The Ring, Secret Agent and the Hitchcock masterpiece he was in would be Vertigo. He was Elster in Vertigo. He was in The Tender Trap a Charles Walters Film, Designing Woman a Vincente Minnelli film and Advise and Consent a Preminger film. He was in a couple of episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents ?????????????

Lav, good job. I know that wasn't easy, but I loved his performance in "Vertigo" so much that I wanted to do a question about him.

The ball is in your court. 😳

Thanks Princess. It was a difficult question until I thought about a British actor in a support role in a film that's considered a Hitchcock masterpiece, then Elster's character popped into my head.

next

Not sure if this was a coincidence or planned by Hitchcock. An actor who had the lead roles in Hitchcock films plays a character that is first introduced in the first Hitch film he was in,  in the same setting as the last film he made for Hitchcock in that same setting. The 2 films and the actor and the setting ????

The only lead actor that I can think of who starred in two Hitchcock films eighteen years apart is Cary Grant.  He was in "Suspicion" in 1941 and "North By Northwest" in 1959.  In "Suspicion", we first see him on a train where he meets Joan Fontaine as they are about to go into a tunnel.  In "North By Northwest", he meets Eva Marie Saint on a train, but that is in the middle of the picture.  The last scene has them together on a train again, just before it goes into a tunnel.  In "Suspicion" his nickname for Joan Fontaine is "Monkey Face".

Exactly. We are first introducted to Johhny ( Cary) on the train with the train going into a tunnel in Suspicion. That was his first Hitch film. His last film with Hitch ends with Cary on the train in North By Northwest again with the train going into a tunnel. I find it interesting that Cary's first and last film with Hitchcock begins and ends in the same setting. The question I posed was about the beginning of his first Hitch film and the last Hitch film, 
Cary and Eva meeting on the train in the middle is irrelevant. Yes, his pet name for Joan Fontaine's character was "monkey face". in Susicion. The date of 18 years apart for the 2 films and the pet nickname were the giveaway clues. Glad you recognized that Miles. It's interesting that Hitchcock made that sexual innuendo of the train in the 2 films starring Cary Grant and how those were Cary's first and last films for Hitchcock.

Glad you picked up on the clues Miles, great thinking, your thread 

• Like 1

Yes, Chaya.  It's Alfred's own daughter, Patricia.  She was also in "Psycho" as Janet Leigh's co-worker in the beginning of the movie.  She also appeared on her father's TV show multiple times, as well as appearing on other non-Hitchcock shows.  She's still with us at age 92.

Here she is in "Stage Fright".

Patricia Hitchcock   

Nice going, Chaya.  Sometimes it takes a bit of research to find the answers on these boards.  We all appreciate your efforts.

Chaya has left the thread open for anyone to post the next question.

• 1 month later...

Let's see if we can resurrect this thread.  There was an actor who was a young man in thirties and forties movies.  He worked with Lucille Ball and the Marx Brothers.  He played Katherine Hepburn's brother in one movie.  In another movie, he asked Ginger Rogers to go dancing with him.  Years later, this now not so young actor played a wealthy businessman in a Hitchcock movie.  Can you name him and the Hitchcock film?

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Let's see if we can resurrect this thread.  There was an actor who was a young man in thirties and forties movies.  He worked with Lucille Ball and the Marx Brothers.  He played Katherine Hepburn's brother in one movie.  In another movie, he asked Ginger Rogers to go dancing with him.  Years later, this now not so young actor played a wealthy businessman in a Hitchcock movie.  Can you name him and the Hitchcock film?

Frank Albertson.  He played Hepburn's brother in Alice Adams, Bachelor Mother with Ginger, Room Service with Lucy and the Marx Brothers and he was the wealthy rancher Janet Leigh steals the money from in Hitchcock's Psycho. btw, he also played wealthy Sam Wainwright in it's A Wonderful Life ????

You got him, Lavender.  When I first saw "Psycho", I didn't realize that the wealthy businessman was Frank Albertson.  He certainly had a long career.  He was in "Spring Is Here" from 1930 that was shown on TCM just a few weeks ago.  

Frank Albertson - IMDb 

Young Frank Albertson  

Tom Cassidy | Psycho Wiki | Fandom 

Frank Albertson in "Psycho"  

Good job, Lavender.  Now it's your thread.

Thanks Miles. As soon as I read that the actor asked Ginger to dance, I knew it was Frank Albertson in Bachelor Mother so the rest fell into place.

next

Patricia Hitchcock revealed in an interview that a certain film ( not one he directed) was the last film Hitch screened before he died. Film and the 2 stars of the film ???