Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why is TCM devoting almost all of the day today to Ann Shirley....i never heard of her, and i go way back.......there must be another Queen of the B movies here besides Lucy Ball...at least we all know and love Lucy, but who is Ann Shirley? We must cope with the overlooking of the great ones, but to devote so much of today's programming like this is really over the top!

Actually, Anne Shirley appeared in a number of important pictures in her career. She is especially remembered as Laurel, the daughter in "Stella Dallas." In fact, she was nominated for an Oscar for that role. She also was in "Murder My Sweet" with Dick Powell and Claire Trevor. Maybe she didn't reach the heights of others of her era, but she did make some good movies.

Terrence.

*...i never heard of her, and i go way back...* - jb

Shirley you jest. I think you've drifted a little too far into your Garbo world if you've never heard of her. Thanks, TCM.

I first saw Shirley in ?Steamboat Round the Bend? (1935), on TV, around 1956. That is a classic Will Rogers film that I wish TCM would show.

Later I saw her in ?Anne of Green Gables? (1934), and she is really good in that film.

She is also good as the beautiful and quiet wife in "The Devil and Daniel Webster" (1941).

She was the beautiful and desirable girl in ?Murder, My Sweet? (1944).

She was the loving wife in ?Saturday's Children? (1940).

She played a lot of kids in the early 1930s.

She retired at the age of 26, after making 67 films.

Anne of Green Gables was my favorite of hers. I admire her for leaving the industry at a young age. Think I read her bio a while back and even though she was a good actress and got lots of part offers, she just decided she did not like the whole scene. I saw her in a movie today as a dark brunette. I almost didn't recognize her.

I think she had a "stage mother" who really pushed her daughter.

Not sure but I think she was married to some movie star - John Payne ?

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}

> why is TCM devoting almost all of the day today to Ann Shirley....i never heard of her, and i go way back.......there must be another Queen of the B movies here besides Lucy Ball...at least we all know and love Lucy, but who is Ann Shirley?

>

I like Anne Shirley MUCH more than Lucy.

Thank you TCM for Anne Shirley Day!

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}

> why is TCM devoting almost all of the day today to Ann Shirley....i never heard of her, and i go way back.......there must be another Queen of the B movies here besides Lucy Ball...at least we all know and love Lucy, but who is Ann Shirley?

Thanks to TCM devoting a morning to her, you now get a chance to expand your limited knowledge of Hollywood history. Anne Shirley was a beautiful and talented actress. She was in several major productions (already mentioned in another post). While she made many "B" pictures for RKO, most of them are quite enjoyable such as CHATTERBOX (1936) and UNEXPECTED UNCLE (1941).

I'm sure that there was a time in your young life when you had never heard of Garbo either and after discovering a few of her movies you wanted to see more. Perhaps now that TCM has run some of Anne Shirley's films you will be able to appreciate what many of us "seasoned" film fans already knew, that there are many actors and actresses out there that have helped make Hollywood history and Anne Shirley is just a small part of the overall big picture. :)

I think Anne Shirley was wonderful. Very versatile. VERY natural. She had quite a nice career at RKO as Dawn O'Day. With ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, she adopted her character's name for her own. Gig Young did the same thing after THE GAY SISTERS.

What a shame Shirley retired after MURDER, MY SWEET. Just as RKO was hitting its noir stride.

*Not sure but I think she was married to some movie star - John Payne ?*

Anne Shirley was indeed married to John Payne from late 30s until 41-42. I believe it was the first marriage for both. I think i read it broke up after she had a child in 1941, and wanted to stay home, but John was out at the nightclubs (he was just then hitting real stardom).

Johnbabe wrote

*.......there must be another Queen of the B movies here besides Lucy Ball...*

Do you know how many actresses have been given that moniker? Just to name a few . . .

Claire Trevor

Lynn Bari

Adele Jergens

Nina Foch

Mary Beth Hughes

Eve Arden

Louise Albritton

Janet Blair

Evelyn Keyes

Rita Hayworth . . . until she hit stardom around 1941.

Many of these actresses did an occasional "A" film, often as second leads.

You hit the nail on the head, I loved Anne Shirley too. She was also gorgeous & had a great pair of legs & a more than acceptable actress. Perhaps Johnbabe just didn't get around enough to come across her & am happy that TCM introduced her to him.

i am a native new yorker, and everyone knew who GG was and people were always looking for citings of her around Manhattan, duh, even my daughter, who i never mentioned Garbo to, knew who she was when i was lucky enough to get TCM on my cable provider when i moved to another state, lots of people know who Garbo is because of her mystique and glamour, in Europe, for instance many festivals are always on, and now in Milan, there is very large display of her personal wardrobe, i recently view some of her person wardrobe in a fashion show of hollywood, ran by a person who personally knew joan crawford...Garbo is a fashion icon as well, books are constantly coming out about her, one is scheduled for release in Sept of this year, (it is come out first in Italy) you see many people know Garbo by her name and fashion influence, those who may not be aware of her films except for the really endearing ones.....you see there is more to Garbo than the films!

"What a shame Shirley retired after MURDER, MY SWEET. Just as RKO was hitting its noir stride." -

<RAY FIOLA >

D'ya think Anne Shirley would have had a career in noir? She seemed like a girl next door type.

Arturo...I love the actresses you named.

I read that John Payne was a very jealous-type of man. After her was divorced from Anne Shirley, he married Gloria De Haven. That marriage ended in divorce, too. He finally was married for a long time to his third wife.

The topic her might make an interesting now thread; Depending on one's perspective one could say that this 'love' for Garbo is based a lot on hype and media spin instead of her actual work in movies. As you noted the Garbo brand is 'hot' and thus people us it to make a buck; i.e. to sell books, to draw people into festivals etc....

Of course this doen't mean that Garbo or any artist that the media and fans decide is an icon (Monroe, Dean and Bogie come to mind) do not have merit. My personal view is that Garbo is a little over hyped while Monroe and Dean are way over hyped.

Garbo is a fashion icon as well, books are constantly coming out about her, one is scheduled for release in Sept of this year, (it is come out first in Italy) you see many people know Garbo by her name and fashion influence, those who may not be aware of her films except for the really endearing ones.-johnbabe

And this is why it is good that TCM has a morning devoted to someone like Anne Shirley. While not a fashion icon, she was certainly a good actress who deserves to be remembered as such and not relegated to the cultural landfill of Hollywood history, to be forgotten.

Very valid points. I would also point out that for actors like Anne Shirley their movies are often not available on DVD and thus the only way one can enjoy their work is by networks like TCM. The big stars and icons have a lot of their work available on DVD; i.e. their fans can enjoy those movies anytime they wish since a 'true' (big) fan of an artist will typically have home DVDs of their favorite stars.

Sorry I missed this tribute. She was a good actress in the few films I've seen her in. Would've liked to have seen more. Her career could've gone on much longer had she wanted to. Hope she enjoyed her off screen life...............

I am thankful that TCM gave me a day of Anne Shirley. There were 6 films I'd never seen before, half were good for my tastes, the other 3 were so-so. Which is still a batting-average far above film standards of late.

For me, the basic question of "Why a day to some lesser/unknown-to-me actor" is balanced against two factors: one, Why do stations stick with Only The Top 10 of anything and exclude all others - I get bored watching the same films, over and over... didn't anyone else EVER make a film?...

And two, How do we 'get to know the unknowns' unless someone shows them to us?

We're not allowed to dig thru the vaults. We've got umpteen channels showing us the same old films, year after year. A day here, or a week or a month of "Unknown TO ME" seems far more interesting than the same ol' stuff.

> {quote:title=Ollie_T wrote:}{quote}

>*For me, the basic question of "Why a day to some lesser/unknown-to-me actor" is balanced against two factors: one, Why do stations stick with Only The Top 10 of anything and exclude all others - I get bored watching the same films, over and over... didn't anyone else EVER make a film?...*

>

>*And two, How do we 'get to know the unknowns' unless someone shows them to us?*

>

>*We're not allowed to dig thru the vaults. We've got umpteen channels showing us the same old films, year after year. A day here, or a week or a month of "Unknown TO ME" seems far more >interesting than the same ol' stuff.*

Well said and many channels are culprits of this. HBO and Cinemax each play the original Sex in the City movie about 10-15 times a month within their original and spinoff channels. There is usually only ONE film a day made before 1980 - and that is actually stretching it - I should probably say 1990.

There are many people who I have heard of and yet I consider them unknown or forgotten because of how channels have neglected to show the popular/well known flicks. Fox Movie Channel is actually the reason why many of their long term contract stars of the 40s and 50s are somewhat unheard of or less popular today.

Anyway, I am glad Anne Shirley had a day. It is somewhat refreshing when people you'd least expect to get a day of their films, or even a bday tribute.