Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unlisted Short Aired Today

I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that shorts have been listed in the TCM schedule with very little notice, usually the day before broadcast. Today they did even better. After *Theadora Goes Wild* ended, there were 24 minutes with nothing scheduled until the beginning of *Too Many Husbands*. I set my DVR to record the time and discovered that the short Alice in Movieland was aired during the "dead" time.

Is the regular scheduler on vacation, or have there been staff cutbacks at TCM?

> {quote:title=Moodri wrote:}{quote}

> I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that shorts have been listed in the TCM schedule with very little notice, usually the day before broadcast.

>

They just did it again...at 5:24 A.M. (Eastern) an unlisted short is being shown:

BEYOND THE LINE OF DUTY (1942) - WB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034511/combined

Followed by the 1950 MGM Pete Smith short CURIOUS CONTESTS.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042364/combined

They also ran "Rodeo Dough" following SIDE STREET this morning. No sign of the schedule for the rest of the week getting updated, either. Well, looks like it's back to the bad old days of having to record every likely interval between movies.

And again today (Friday). A "Vitaphone Kiddies" musical (with a bit by the Gumm Sisters) after "Mister Cinderella" and another Judy Garland bit after "Thoroughbreds Don['t Cry." Judy Garland fans deserve to have these announced in advance.

There was a TravelTalk before Tish this morning.

That's the second one I've missed in the last couple of weeks which I've never seen.

I think this stinks... I wish they'd let us know which shorts are going to air!

Yancey

I guess I'm not the only one who is missing having short info on the schedule.

I missed the beginning of two Travel Talks yesterday, one on St. Louis right before Meet Me in St. Louis, and another one on India after The Women. Now I find out I missed another one.

I agree, this really stinks.

I wonder who is in charge of filling in the shorts information on the schedule?

Here is a list of the *Phantom Shorts* (those not appearing in the online schedule) that I?ve managed to view or record beginning with Wednesday, June 30:

June 30th

MGM Smith: Curious Contests

WB: Beyond The Line Of Duty

MGM: Rodeo Dough

RKO: Black Cats and Broomsticks

Historama: Rita Hayworth

July 2nd

Vitaphone: Bubbles

MGM: Romance of Celluloid-Electrical Power

July 3rd

Fox: Hotel Anchovy

MGM: Moments in Music

MGM: World Famous Musical Hits

MGM TT: Visiting St. Louis

MGM Smith: Cash Stashers

July 4th

MGM TT: Picturesque Udaipur

MGM TT: The Capital City Washington DC

Historama: James Cagney

MGM Nesbitt: Yankee Doodle Goes To Town

Knowing what shorts have been aired is interesting enough, but I want to know what's going to be on ahead of time.

I suggest you do what I did, which was to go through "Contact Us" and complain. Don't know if it'll do any good, but it can't hurt.

I recorded several of the unscheduled shorts in my list by recording any "dead time" in excess of eight minutes between movies to the hard drive in a Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorder. Then I edit out the fluff and high-speed dub the shorts to DVD.

TCM has provided shorts scheduling information for four years--almost to the very day that the shorts disappeared from the schedule last week. At first, back in June 2006, a TCM employee took it upon themself to provide the shorts scheduling information in posts in this shorts genre forum. Later, in September 2007, that information was integrated into the online schedule. Now and then an unscheduled short was shown. More recently the early Vitaphone mysteries were seldom listed in the online schedule. Now, who knows what gives?

I used the term *Phantom Shorts* back in this October 2007 thread describing the same problem:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=115892&tstart=75

Edited by: talkietime on Jul 5, 2010 1:34 PM

So, what should we make of the 3:15 dead spot in the morning hours of Monday, July 12th between Masks and Memories (1934) and Have A Heart (1934)?

I?ll be recording that 3:15 dead spot, as well as the programming before and after that dead spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Following "David Copperfield" this morning they showed Pete Smith's "Crew Racing" (1935). I think it was "Crew Racing" as I stumbled into when it was halfway through. I am sure that I have seen this short before -- I might even have recorded it -- but I don't remember when it was last shown. Does anyone know (by date) when this short has been shown before? If so, many thanks for sharing this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Could someone tell me the name of the short that was given in October or November dealing with a baseball player doing all kinds of catches and stunts? I think he was from the Dodgers. I'd love to see it again, he was amazing.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Still no short listed on the schedule for the 29 minutes following the Bowery Boys movie on January 15.

> Shorts fans be sure to tune in...could be something interesting shown.

>

If anyone missed it, they ran the short THE FILM THAT WAS LOST (1942) - MGM ("Passing Parade" series).

We might be seeing more shorts today: every movie today until 8:00 P.M. (eastern) has time after it for a two-reel short but again, nothing is currently listed on the schedule.

Update:

At 1:48 P.M. -

JASPER NATIONAL PARK (1952) - MGM ("TravelTalks" series).

Another update:

Short at 7:49 P.M. -

CASH STASHERS (1953) - MGM (Pete Smith series).

Edited by: musicalnovelty on Jan 15, 2011 1:51 PM

Edited by: musicalnovelty on Jan 15, 2011 11:47 PM