Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unlisted Short Aired Today

• 2 weeks later...

Unlisted short on January 21:

8:48am ET -- *Treasures from Trash* -- a Pete Smith Specialty, following *Men of Chance*.

Edited to add another January 21 short:

3:27pm ET -- *24 Hour Alert* -- following *Reach for the Sky*.

I was all set to add *The Symphony Murder Mystery*, which aired today at 8:06am ET, but discovered that MGMWBRKO is back with upcoming listings. His thread is [Upcoming shorts 1/25 to 1/27|http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=163416&tstart=0]. Welcome back.

• 1 month later...

The Phantom Programmer is back, tanned, rested, and ready.

In the space between the first two post-Oscar-month movies, we were treated to

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466221/

*The Grouch Club in 'The Great Library Misery'*, wherein Arthur Q. Bryant visits the public library, tries to be vewy quiet, and fails miserably. Does the format of the title suggest that a Grouch Club series was planned (based on the radio program), and the outcome of this first effort resulted in the curtailment of said plans?

> {quote:title=PhygLeGuy wrote:}{quote}

>

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466221/

> *The Grouch Club in 'The Great Library Misery'*, wherein Arthur Q. Bryant visits the public library, tries to be vewy quiet, and fails miserably. Does the format of the title suggest that a Grouch Club series was planned (based on the radio program), and the outcome of this first effort resulted in the curtailment of said plans?

Yes, there was a "Grouch Club" series:

1. The Great Library Misery (9-10-38)

2. Taxi Trouble (3-18-39)

3. Witness Trouble (7-29-39)

4. Vote Trouble (9-9-39)

5. Trouble in Store (12-39)

6. No Parking (3-30-40)

All produced by Warner Bros. - Vitaphone.

All in the "Vitaphone Varieties" series.

Each one about 9 minutes.

Title of each may be preceded by "The Grouch Club in..."

Working title for "Vote Trouble": "A Vote for Gurtch".

Here another one:

Sunday, March 4:

3:37pm ET -- *Keep 'Em Sailing -* Crime Does Not Pay series -- following The Seven Little Foys

BTW, you won't see any new posts from Moodri anymore. I recently changed my ISP, and TCM wouldn't let me keep that screen name with my new email address.

Apparently, I'm the only one who noticed that on Saturday, March 3, at 11:47 AM EST, after The Lone Wolf and His Lady (1949), the Pete Smith short, *Treasures from Trash (1946),* was given its ubiquitous phantom airing again.

Welcome back, TCM Elves!

Tuesday March 13:

9:38pm ET – *What, No Men?* – after Ladies In Retirement

Another unlisted Oscar nominee (1934 Short Subject/comedy). I don't know whether it's ever been on TCM, but I've never seen it before.

> {quote:title=FredMertz wrote:}{quote}Tuesday March 13:

> 9:38pm ET – *What, No Men?* – after Ladies In Retirement

>

> Another unlisted Oscar nominee (1934 Short Subject/comedy). I don't know whether it's ever been on TCM, but I've never seen it before.

>

Twenty minutes of 1935 Vitaphone Technicolor awesomeness that was.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025977/ says it has fewer than 5 votes, so perhaps it’s never been seen on TCM before, but I suspect it was very popular at lodge meetings and the like. IMDb offers a plot summary: A bill collector and a policeman are captured by a group of mad scientists and taken to an all-female Indian tribe for study. Concern for the plot may be misguided, because the real story was that tribe, which appeared to consist of a large number of Caucasian looking extras wearing feathers, loincloths, and what once were known as flesh-colored undies, dancing to the accompaniment of the Vitaphone Orchestra.

Thanks to the phantom for making trawling for shorts so worthwhile. (IMDb informs us that this short is available on the 2010 DVD release entitled “Vitaphone Cavalcade of Musical Comedy Shorts Collection”.)

> {quote:title=PhygLeGuy wrote:}{quote}

> > ...Perhaps it’s never been seen on TCM before...

> (IMDb informs us that this short is available on the 2010 DVD release entitled “Vitaphone Cavalcade of Musical Comedy Shorts Collection”.)

I am 99% sure this short has never been on TCM before. If part of it may look familiar to TCM viewers it may be because one of the musical numbers was used in a later Warner Bros. short, MUSICAL MOVIELAND (1944) which has been on TCM many times.

Here's info on the DVD set in which the short is available from Warner Archives:

http://www.wbshop.com/Vitaphone-Cavalcade-of-Musical-Comedy-Shorts/1000179952,default,pd.html?cgid=ZARCHIVEALL