Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moodri

Unlisted Short Aired Today

I have a suspicion that the reason for the lack of shorts being listed on the schedule and the fact that the April 2011 schedule is not yet posted are not coincidental.

My guess is either the person who handles the scheduling has been on vacation or out sick........or as another poster suggested, there have been staff cutbacks at TCM.

Either way, it's unfortunate and as a viewer, I am not happy about it.

I would think one of TCM's top goals would be to keep their loyal viewers happy.

Well, looks like the extras are back up on the schedule. I'm very pleased.

Now we can go back to complaining how they keep running the same ones over and over again.

Edited by: MickeyFender on Jan 29, 2011 12:00 PM

> Unlisted short after LOVE ME TONIGHT early Thursday morning:

> BELOW ZERO (1930) starring Laurel & Hardy.

>

> (And it was shown complete this time).

Since it wasn't on the Schedule, I and many other Laurel and Hardy fans missed it. Very disappointed! I hope they will schedule it soon so that fans can tune in and see the complete short (to make up for the January 12th showing of only the first reel). It was one of the very few Laurel and Hardy shorts scheduled that day that I had never seen before.

I sure did greatly enjoy their Hal Roach January!

--Jon

Well, they did it again. This morning (13 March) at the end of the 25-minutes space between Small Town Girl and Shanghai Express, TCM aired the short subject Throttle Pushers, a short about an auto race, narrated by Pete Smith. I thought we were past this problem when short subjects were back in the schedule at the end of January. I was able to see it only because I had checked the schedule, and I figured that 25 minutes was too long a stretch for them not to show a short. I don?t recall ever seeing this particular short on TCM before.

I checked the schedules for March 14 and 15, and found the following gaps that look promising for airing of shorts:

*Tuesday, March 15*

12:27am ? 12:45am

5:24pm ? 6:00pm

Moodri, your instincts were good. I was just about to check the schedule myself for the same kind of gap when I thought I'd look here first, and sure enough, here's your post about something getting shown that wasn't announced. Luckily for me, I've seen Throttle Pushers, as it's been shown before on TCM, just not in a while.

Shorts are listed for 3/16, so here's hoping things get back to normal again after that.

Mickey,

When I found that shorts were listed for 3/16, but none for the three days before that, I figured something had to be amiss. Also, there are two short films listed for the afternoon of 3/16 (less than an hour each) that aren't marked with any genre at all: The City (1939) and Italianamerican (1974).

For the record, S.S. Van Dine's *The Trans-Atlantic Mystery* aired today about 5:30pm EDT, between The Right to Live and South of Suez. But you'll never find it on the schedule.

Today at 4:00pm ET, after Follow the Fleet and before the 45-minute film The City, the 15-minute silent short *Manhatta (1921)* will air. Although this is not indicated in the schedules published by TCM, it IS listed in my onscreen Comcast cable guide. If TCM can give this info to the cable companies, why isn't it listed it on the website?

TCM did it again yesterday morning!

After airing Never Too Late (1965) at 4:15 AM EDT on Sunday, March 20, 2011 and before Bombshell (1933) at 6:15 AM EDT, the powers that be sneaked the venerable TravelTalks short," Los Angeles:Wonder City of the West" (1935) on air with no fan fare.

I only know this because I tuned to TCM and caught the last minute of this short around 6:13 AM, much to my chagrin. The short is nine minutes long so I assume the start time was around 6:05 AM. I've never seen this classic short and sadly I still haven't seen a complete airing of it.

Why do they throw in these gems without putting it on the schedule? Here's hoping they re-air it and post it on the schedule so that one and all may enjoy this FitzPatrick wonder.

April 10, 5:45pm ET, following "Giant"; the FitzPatrick Traveltalks entry "*Beautiful Brazil*".

April 11, 7:20pm ET, following "The Young Philadelphians": Another Traveltalk, "*In the Land of Diamonds*".

(I wanted to edit this into the previous post, but I can't find the edit button.)

Right now, following The Birth of a Nation, one of the MGM Goofy Movie shorts is being shown.

I guess TCM is back to the unscheduled shorts routine so one needs to set up a time shifting device to record the ten to twenty minute blocks between movies.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Unlisted short after UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, April 12 at 5:24 A.M. -

>

> MGM Studio Tour (1925) (silent).

Didn't they just run that last week??? I mean, it's very interesting, but they run it all the time!

Specifically, *Goofy Movies Number Three*, which has an excellent spoof of the FitzPatrick Traveltalks series.

April 13, 9:39pm ET -- *Romance of Louisiana*, a WB Historical Featurette.

Unlisted short early Thursday morning, April 14, after feature KENTUCKY KERNELS:

GLIMPSES OF KENTUCKY (1940) - MGM - "FitzPatrick TravelTalks" series.

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > Unlisted short after UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, April 12 at 5:24 A.M. -

> >

> > MGM Studio Tour (1925) (silent).

>

> Didn't they just run that last week??? I mean, it's very interesting, but they run it all the time!

>

Looks like it's scheduled again on April 17, after the silent movie CAMILLE.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-04-14

The plethora of unlisted shorts continues unabated.

I'm not under the impression it is the oversight or carelessness on the part of some TCM staffers, as many have argued, but I believe it is an overt attempt by TCM to keep viewers glued to their screens during the time between feature films. The unlisted shorts are too endemic to be anything but a desire to keep people tuned attentively. Smart on their part.

Is responding to one's own post rather like talking to oneself?

To be or not to be....................that is the question.....

I think I'll have an omelette with my Hamlet.

I just checked the weekly schedule, and shorts are back. If the online programmer(s) keep to the recent schedule, I predict that shorts will disappear from the schedule again in July.