Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moodri

Unlisted Short Aired Today

That's great that the shorts are back on the schedule.

Here's one more unlisted short seen Friday night, April 15 at about 11:50 P.M. eastern time:

Promo short for 1966 MGM feature AROUND THE WORLD UNDER THE SEA.

Unlisted short on Saturday morning, April 23 after SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT:

"Martin Block's Musical Merry-Go-Round" - Ray Noble & Buddy Clark (MGM, 1948)

There's nothing listed on the schedule today from 11:00am-12noon, ET. The first episode of the 1939 serial *Buck Rogers* is now playing as I write this. Thanks a lot TCM.

Edited by: Moodri on Apr 23, 2011 11:12 AM

Two more to add to the list:

Sunday 04/24, 11:50pm -- *The Big Sur* (promotional featurette for "The Sandpiper")

Monday 04/25, 9:18am -- *Hollywood Hist-o-Rama: Marlene Dietrich*

There's a 31 minute gap coming up this morning (4/26) between the end of No Greater Glory and the beginning of Swing Your Lady in case anyone wants to set up his or her dvr.

There appears to be an unscheduled block of at least 25 minutes after the airing of Gettysburg (1993) and before the start of the The Red Badge of Courage (1951) at 3:00 AM EDT on April 26.

I hope we don't get the umpteenth airing of the MGM Parade of "The Pirate".. Snooze

The gap after *Gettysburg* might just be long enough to show The Battle of Gettysburg (1955), narrated by Leslie Nielsen.

> {quote:title=Moodri wrote:}{quote}

> The gap after *Gettysburg* might just be long enough to show The Battle of Gettysburg (1955), narrated by Leslie Nielsen.

>

It is THE FLAG OF HUMANITY (1940) - Warner Bros. in Technicolor.

> {quote:title=MickeyFender wrote:}{quote}

> There's a 31 minute gap coming up this morning (4/26) between the end of No Greater Glory and the beginning of Swing Your Lady in case anyone wants to set up his or her dvr.

>

It's TRIAL BY TRIGGER (1944) - Warner Bros.

Unlisted short after SWING YOUR LADY:

"Hollywood Hist-O-Rama - Gloria Swanson" (1961).

Short following 6,000 ENEMIES:

"Hollywood Hist-O-Rama - Edward G. Robinson" (1961).

Unlisted short after "The Horn Blows at Midnight":

6:26pm -- *Houston Post Contest Winners Arrive In Los Angeles* (1939); newsreel

Here's a question for TCM: In the newly redesigned online schedule, a user can choose to see a week's worth of films in a specific genre. Why bother to have "Shorts" listed as a choice WHEN YOU DON'T LIST THEM IN THE SCHEDULE?

Edit:

I wrote too soon, before I checked the schedule. They're baaack! Now the questions are: 1) For how long?; and 2) Will the listings be complete?

Here's one that escaped the schedule makers.

On April 28, at approx. 7:48 PM EDT, after the airing of The Big Country (1958), the M-G-M TravelTalks short, "Rocky Mountain Grandeur" (1937) saw the light of day.

And they're still not listing the two episodes of the 1939 Buck Rogers serial airing on Saturday mornings between 11am-12noon. (Which is odd, because they are shown on my onscreen cable guide.)

In revisiting Saturday April 30's faux pas, the weekly schedule had listed two shorts that were supposed to air betweeen 11:00 AM and 12 Noon EDT.

The first was "For the Common Defense" (1942) at 22 minutes followed by "The Perfect Tribute (1935) at 20 minutes.

Why they were scuttled in lieu of the Buck Rogers fare is anybody's guess but it elicits more head scratching courtesy of our friends at Turner Classic Movies.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it looks like we're back to the shorts not being listed again.

As of right now, there are no shorts on the schedule for the next several days.

Somehow I sense listing the shorts is an after-thought and definitely not a priority at TCM.

I really don't understand why this is so difficult to get the shorts listed on the schedule on an ongoing basis.

This isn't a cure-all by any means, but it might help to look in on this blogger's (JLewis) page:

http://fan.tcm.com/_TCM-Shorts-Schedule-starting-May-5th/blog/3561878/66470.html

JLewis is a fan of shorts and has a blog with lots of lists of shorts from various studios and fairly regularly posts a schedule of upcoming shorts on TCM. I check in from time to time to see if there are any updates.

Though it can't be counted on at all times, he often seems to know in advance what shorts TCM's planning to show. I have no idea where he gets his information, but it's pretty accurate in general, and beats the daylights out of TCM's seemingly capricious attitude toward listing shorts.

Well, they're doing it again (or should that be NOT doing it again)!

May 18:

approx. 9:50am ET, following Odds Against Tomorrow:

*Canoeman's Holiday* -- RKO-Pathe Sportscope

1:41PM, following (appropriately) Cairo:

*Cairo: "City of Contrast"* -- James A. FitzPatrick Traveltalk

Edited on May 18, 2011 4:33 PM

For the sake of completeness, I harken back to Friday, May 13, at 11:40 PM in which the short, "The Voice that Thriled the World" (1943) was given the Phantom short treatment. That darn Phantom sure gets around.

The PHANTOM STRIKES AGAIN !

As a colleague just pointed out, after the feature Cairo (1942) aired, the TravelTalks short, Cairo "City of Contrast" (1938) was slipped in at 1:42 PM EDT like a thief in the night.

The audacity ! the treachery ! Maybe this necessitates a call to.............Batman?

I think I will journey to my kitchen for a cuppa java to comfort myself from the loss of not seeing theTravelTalks short, Java Journey (1939) on Sunday morning last because it was given the Phantom treatment.

Can anyone stop this Phantom from striking again?

After High Sierra (1941) at 5:47 PM EDT, the Phantom struck again with an unlisted airing of the short, So You Want to Be a Detective (1948).

We sure could use a detective to figure out when the Phantom will strike again!

My one "trick" is the MONTH schedule. Believe me, I've got no "insight" into those TCM Elves who are in charge of scheduling. (*chuckle chuckle*) For some reason, more shorts get posted on the MONTH than the DAILY or WEEK schedules. Sometimes the Canadian one includes one or two that are also shown statewise. Oh... this is all fun... this game of peek-a-boo!

Needless to say, they have nothing posted for tomorrow yet... or any other time...

Looks like some of the "phantom" shorts are good ones. SO YOU WANT TO BE A DETECTIVE and CAIRO, perhaps the only MGM Traveltalk to recieve BoxOffice magazine's "Short of the Week" award back in 1938.