Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unlisted Short Aired Today

On Saturday the 28th after the airing of Ensign Pulver (1964) at approximately 7:49 PM EDT, there was a phantom airing of a TravelTalks short.

This one was Floral Japan (1937) which preceded the 8 PM airing of Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)

As I type this, an unscheduled 2-reel short is airing after *Father of the Bride*. Unfortunately, I missed the first 5 minutes. It is a chronology of America's history, ending after WWII. Most of the early footage is edited from several WB Historical Featurettes. Does anyone know the title? I don't recall ever seeing it on TCM before. I'm getting tired of this.

EDIT:

I just did some checking on the Internet Movie Database, and the title is *My Country 'Tis of Thee (1950).*

On Sunday, June 5, at 7:48 PM EDT, after the airing of the Ambassador's Daughter (1956) we were once again treated to an unlisted short.

It was titled "Crashing the Water Barrier" (1956), and it's a technicolor feast about the son of race car driver Sir Malcolm Campbell's attempt to break the water speed record.

TCM is similarly attempting the break the world's record for the number of unlisted shorts aired in one calendar year. The current world record holder: TCM, of course.

Here's another one for today:

1:10pm ET -- following Every Girl Should Be Married: *Grandad of Races*, winner of the 1950 Oscar for Short Subjects (one-reel).

This makes 3 unlisted Short Subject Oscar nominees (with 2 winners) aired since June 3, none of which I had seen previously on TCM (and I've been watching since 1997).

I'm really disappointed I missed "Grandad of Races" (1950). Color shorts of Italy are rare indeed.

I thought of a way I could view it though. I have a Netflix free month trial subscription and if I rent "The West Point Story" (1941), it is contained as a bonus feature on that disk.

This way I won't have to wait for TCM to air it again, if they ever do.

7 June:

5:27pm ET -- following 4 for Texas: *Beauty and the Bull* -- nominated for 1954 Oscar for Short Subjects (two-reel). Real-life fashion model Bette Ford stars in her story of how she became a bullfighter.

I wonder if this is a sign that the Warner Archive is preparing what I always hoped for... a DVD set of Oscar winners and nominees not previously seen in many, many decades.

They are "test-driving" these on air... the reason they are phantoms is partly because they haven't all been uploaded to TCM's title listings.

Phantom shorts are baaack!

June 14 - There was a full 34-minute blank span after *Susan Slade*. I made sure to record it, because that amount of time was too long to take any chances.

5:12pm ET - *24 Hour Alert* - 1955 Oscar nominee for two-reel short subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Unlisted after *Stagecoach* on Sunday, June 19:

approx. 9:50 ET -- *Desert Killer*, which aired about 2 weeks previous.

I would have posted this sooner, but am on vacation and don't have constant access to a computer. I just compared the weekly and monthly listings, and now there are shorts in the weekly schedule that are missing from the full month's schedule.

Here's a couple more phantom shorts to add to the mix:

On Friday, June 24 at 4:40 AM EDT, after Creature From the Haunted Sea (1961), we were entertained to another unscheduled airing of "My Country 'Tis of Thee" (1950).

Then later on that morning after It Happened One Night (1934) at approximately 9:50 AM the Hollywood-Hist-o-Rama:Robert Taylor (1962) short was inserted before the top of the hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Lest we forget, *24* Hour Alert (1955) ran recently, albeit unscheduled, on June 14 at 5:15 PM.

Such much repetition! Thank you, Cuddles. :)

I wonder if anyone realized a short that was on the schedule never made it to the light of day. Looking at London (1946), a FitzPatrick TravelTalks, was scheduled for Tuesday, July 5, at 12:34 PM EDT, but the length of the previous film, Madeleine (1950), made it impossbile for this short to start at this time. Instead TCM ran some filler. So we can chalk this one up to an error in scheduling.

RaquelVixen wrote:

*"I wonder if anyone realized a short that was on the schedule never made it to the light of day. Looking at London (1946), a FitzPatrick TravelTalks, was scheduled for Tuesday, July 5, at 12:34 PM EDT, but the length of the previous film, Madeleine (1950), made it impossbile for this short to start at this time. Instead TCM ran some filler. So we can chalk this one up to an error in scheduling."*

The same thing happened with "High Spots Of The Far East" (1932), the Newman travel short, on Tuesday the 5th. I made sure to start my dvr early for The Thief of Bagdad, and when I went to watch the short... no short.

My warm, close personal friends tell me that a phantom short reared its head on Saturday. July 9, at 7:20 AM EDT. The FitzPatrick TravelTalks short, Glimpses of Peru (1937) ran after the feature film, Kentucky Kernels (1935).

Curiously, this is the second time that an unscheduled TravelTalks followed Kentucky Kernels. Glimpses of Kentucky (1941) had the honor the first time.

Must be something in the water in that Blue Grass State movie.

>.... "High Spots Of The Far East" (1932), the Newman travel short, on Tuesday the 5th. I made sure to start my dvr early for The Thief of Bagdad, and when I went to watch the short... no short.

That short is scheduled again on TCM on Thursday evening, July 14 (at 7:48 P.M. eastern time). Be sure to tune in and see if it's really on this time.

Thanks MN,

I am trying to figure out where this is in my time zone, AZ. There is a 3 hour difference so that would make it 4:48PM here which means that this will be tacked on to the end of the "Bride Wore Red" which is scheduled from 3PM to 5PM ?

The length of the the Bride Wore Red is 103 minutes (IMDB) so depending on the length of High Spots this might be tucked in nicely at the end?

P.S. How did you find out when this short was scheduled?

>I am trying to figure out where this is in my time zone, AZ. There is a 3 hour difference so that would make it 4:48PM here which means that this will be tacked on to the end of the "Bride Wore Red" which is scheduled from 3PM to 5PM ?

>The length of the the Bride Wore Red is 103 minutes (IMDB) so depending on the length of High Spots this might be tucked in nicely at the end?

>P.S. How did you find out when this short was scheduled?

Yes, it is scheduled to run after the movie THE BRIDE WORE RED, no matter what time zone you're in. It should fit, as the short is only a "one-reeler".

How I found out it's scheduled...I saw it listed on the TCM schedule when I checked it last night. Some other interesting shorts also recently added.

Edited by: musicalnovelty on Jul 13, 2011 2:35 PM to clarify that the schedule I'm referring to is the TCM on-line schedule, not the printed "Now Playing" guide.

Edited again to provide this link to the monthly schedule, listing the shorts for the next few days:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

>I have been going here for the schedule: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-07-14 >and it does not list this short (or any?).

>That this schedule is different from the monthly one you listed makes NO sense to me....

The trick to that schedule is to click on "Weekly Schedule" (at the top). That schedule will usually list the shorts.

As you said, it makes NO sense! But it's nice to know the tricks (until they change things again!)

I've given up on the daily and weekly schedules; they can't be counted on to show the "Full TCM Schedule" (as it says on the tab). I go straight to thee Monthly schedule for the latest changes.

Unlisted short on late Thursday night, July 14 between Charley Chase short ARABIAN TIGHTS and feature THE SAD SACK:

DESERT KILLER (1952) - Technicolor Warner Bros. one-reel short about hunting a lion in the desert.

I don't recall ever having seen this one on TCM before.