Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October 2010 Schedule Posted

I don't think I've seen *I Confess* on the schedule for years -- at least not since 2005.

*These Are the Damned* is back on the schedule, and it looks as though TCM has blocked out the correct amount of time in the schedule for it. The last time it aired, which was its premiere, they thought they were getting the cut American version which would fit in a 90-minute slot, but got the full British version which needs a 105-minute slot.

*Strait-Jacket* isn't particularly a Halloween-type horror movie, but then, you've got Joan Crawford in that dress.... ;-)

> How about Alec Guinness/Ealing night on October 23rd? All the classics are there, including LAST HOLIDAY, unseen by me in over 30 years.

That's a rescheduling of a night of movies that got preempted by the Lena Horne tribute a few months back. It's nice to see it did get rescheduled.

*" [W]hat's happening is that on Monday's and Wednesdays that month, noted critics will be guest programmers (each chooses 2 movies)"* - rdmtimp

*"This could be very interesting! Here's hoping....."* - lzcutter

I wonder if TCM considered a "reunion" of sorts and invited former "At The Movies" co-hosts Ben Mankiewicz and Ben Lyons to join Robert Osborne for one evening. Now THAT would have been fun to watch.

Actually, just having Ben Mankiwicz sit across from RO for one night would be a really interesting event. The idea of seeing the two of them together on TCM is really appealing.

Kyle In Hollywood

HIGHLIGHTS include:

Some rarely seen Bette Davis films like WINTER MEETING and THE SCAPEGOAT, both on October 5.

Carol Lombard flicks on October 6.

Melvyn Douglas flicks on October 7.

Some Paramount musicals starring Betty Hutton: THE PERILS OF PAULINE on October 11 & INCENDIARY BLONDE on October 14.

A Day of SAINT movies starring George Sanders and others on October 12.

Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL as part of the primetime lineup on October 13 (not a Silent Sunday Night presentation).

Two Lillian Gish classics early morning on the 14th.

Obscure Hitchcock on the 14th: I CONFESS, STAGE FRIGHT & THE WRONG MAN.

Fernando Lamas flicks on October 15.

Two Sal Mineo flicks on October 17: CRIME IN THE STREETS & THE YOUNG DON'T CRY.

Miriam Hopkins flicks on October 18.

Obscure Rosalind Russell on October 19, October 20 and again on October 28. (She's almost like the second SOTM.)

Hedy Lamarr flicks on October 21 including WHITE CARGO & H.M. PULHAM ESQ.

Constance Bennett flicks on October 22.

An evening of Ann-Margret on October 24.

Busby Berkeley musicals on October 25.

A day of baseball flicks on October 26 including THE BABE RUTH STORY...but sorry, no RHUBARB.

October 27 looks like a good day: ANTHONY ADVERSE, SHINE ON HARVEST MOON & SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS.

October 29, 30 & 31: Marathon of classic horror pics with Bela, Boris & Vincent.

*OH WELL NO LINDA DARNELL BIRTHDAY TRIBUT ON THE 16TH. WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED!*

*Oh, and I just remembered one that IS on the schedule: Murder, He Says a wonderful black comedy starring Fred MacMurray, Marjorie Main, Peter Whitney as the twin Fleagle brothers and Helen Walker. It was a hit at the TCM Film Festival and I can't wait to see it again.*

*Though it won't have the hilarious introduction by Mike Schlesinger.*

I love this film. I used to look forward to it being on the Family Film Festival. So I suppose there won't be an introduction from Tomm Hatton either. I'd love to see it featured with other crazy comedies with backwoods families, like DANGER LOVE AT WORK and STELLA.

Edited by: Arturo on Jul 8, 2010 3:19 PM

Those three Hitchcocks don't get shown very often on TCM. I've been looking for *I Confess* to show up since 2005. *The Wrong Man* showed up as part of the week of Hitchcock they did in October of 2006 or so (the Hitch marathon was definitely before June 2007 because I have the monthly schedules dating back that far and *Juno and the Paycock*, one of the real Hitchcock oddities that aired that week, doesn't show up in a search of any of those schedules), and maybe once or twice since. I think *Stage Fright* has shown up once or twice in the past few years, but nowhere near as often as the more well-known Hitchcocks.

In fact, *I Confess* is one of two of Hitchcock's movies made after coming to America (the other being *Under Capricorn* ) that I've been waiting to see on TCM for at least five years now.

> OH WELL NO LINDA DARNELL BIRTHDAY TRIBUT ON THE 16TH. WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED!

October 16 is a Saturday. As has been pointed out quite a few times in the past few months, TCM rarely do birthday tributes on the weekend.

*October 16 is a Saturday. As has been pointed out quite a few times in the past few months, TCM rarely do birthday tributes on the weekend.*

Couldn't be another reason, could it, because in the 20 or so years of TCM's existence (and I haven't had TCM that long so I may be wrong), to my best recollection, they have never had a birthday tribute to Linda, and October 16th would have been on a weekend maybe 6 or 7 of those years.

A couple of premieres no one has mentioned yet:

THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT, starring Gregory Peck and Jennifer Jones

BILLY BUDD, with Terence Stamp, Peter Ustinov, and Robert Ryan

Several people have asked for more Hayley Mills films, and THE FAMILY WAY will be shown in October.

Let's hope that LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN will be the gorgeous restoration shown at the film festival in April.

I've been curious about THE GUILT OF JANET AMES, a film extensively discussed by Jeanine Basinger in her excellent book on women's films.

4776282574_abccf9aaf9_o.jpg

Conversation heard on October 31st - when they learn TCM has given them that night off - again.

Whaddya want to do tonight, Frankie"

"I don't know, "Man". What do you want to do?"

Kyle In Hollywood

Couldn't be another reason, could it, because in the 20 or so years of TCM's existence (and I haven't had TCM that long so I may be wrong), to my best recollection, they have never had a birthday tribute to Linda, and October 16th would have been on a weekend maybe 6 or 7 of those years.

Didn't Darnell make most of her films at Fox? That's probably why she doesn't turn up on TCM that much.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> A salute to George O'Brien and Laraine Day, plenty of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, a salute to Roz Russell, Carole Lombard, the Saint (with George Sanders), silents, early talkies and an early Joel McCrea. And Star of the Month, Fredric March with *Death of a Salesman* which, I believe, is a premiere.

>

> All sounds good to me.

>

> Universal Horror is always next to impossible to get. But with the new working relationship with Universal maybe next year?

Happily, I own all the Universal Horrors on DVD and I encourage fans to buy them.

*Didn't Darnell make most of her films at Fox? That's probably why she doesn't turn up on TCM that much.*

I'm sorry I was being facetious. Of course I know this. But it IS frustrating to know that TCM can and does play the occasional Fox film she was in. Additionally, she made 3 fims on loan in 1943-44, and in the 50s, she made a number of films for other companies. Case in poitn, Gene Tierney's upcoming SUTS tribute next month features thirteen films, divided roughly in half (6-7) between Fox and other releases. So it can be done, that's all.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> *Didn't Darnell make most of her films at Fox? That's probably why she doesn't turn up on TCM that much.*

I think TCM has had a few stars of the month where they showed just eight or 10 of their films all month. Didn't that happen once within the last two years? TCM showed just two or three films on his or her "night" each week.

*Case in poitn, Gene Tierney's upcoming SUTS tribute next month features thirteen films, divided roughly in half (6-7) between Fox and other releases. So it can be done, that's all.*

This is Gene's first year of being included in SUTS much to delight of many posters who have been clamoring for years for her to be included.

Fox is coming around more and more to opening their vaults (to a degree) to TCM.

Perhaps Linda Darnell will be part of SUTS next year?

I almost wish I did not know so many classic movies. I look forward to many movies on schedule but I always find myself wishing they had included one I know well but have not seen in ages. I know I am not alone in this.

I very much want to see the movies they choose for Gene Tierney in August but am heartbroken they will not show *Laura* (1944), *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* (1947) or *Heaven can Wait* (1943). I know they are Fox films but still I am sad.

It is very much same with schedule for October. I see many great films but I know of others I would like to see in those themes.

It would not be great problem if I did not know those other movies exist. Who said: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

• 2 months later...

Figures..I haven't been on the boards in a while and I'm perusing the TCM website and one of my favorite actors, Fredric March is the Star of the Month for next month. At least a bunch of us who have been asking for him to get his month in the sun, through request on the boards and putting him as SOTM in the TCM Challenges, have worked! He got his day last year for Summer Under the Stars which was great! Now I'll have to get the VHS setup for a couple of his films since my DVD recorder died. Big kudos to TCM for this one.

~Donna :)

"You're the detective. Don't ask me for answers."

~ Jarvis Goodland (Ray Milland) ~ Columbo: The Greenhouse Jungle

"I never discuss business before dinner."

~Jean Lafitte (Fredric March) ~ The Buccaneer (1938)

"Having some trouble Mr. DA?"

~Joe Lilac (Dana Andrews) ~ Ball of Fire (1942)

"If you're not gonna electrocute me on the spot, I think I'll run along."

~Joel Sloane (Robert Montgomery) ~ Fast and Loose (1939)

"This is the way I like to do business. Quickly and to the point."

~Britt Reid/The Green Hornet (Van Williams) ~ The Green Hornet: Trouble for Prince Charming

"What are you smoking, Matthews? Cornsilk?"

~Boston **** (Chester Morris) ~ Boston **** and the Law (1946)

*"...one of my favorite actors, Fredric March is the Star of the Month for next month. At least a bunch of us who have been asking for him to get his month in the sun, through request on the boards and putting him as SOTM in the TCM Challenges, have worked!"* - fredmill38

h4. Comrade!

Fredric March was my selection in the very first Programming Challenge. But besides we board members, I've also learned that this special designation has been a personal crusade by some staffers at TCM as well. Well, one - but she's REALLY wanted to see it happen. (Be sure to check out TCM's October podcast. I'm sure her effusiveness will be apparent.)

Mr. March as SOTM was even a topic of conversation between 'lzcutter', Robert Osborne and myself over drinks in Atlanta in November of 2008. (We were not afraid to recruit the "big dog" in our lobbying for March to receive the honor.) RO was hesitant that it could be pulled off when Paramount Studios controls so much of March's early filmography. While it is true that there are some omissions in the line-up next month (most noticeably *Death Takes A Holiday* (1934)) and disappointment that TCM couldn't negotiate a screening of *Death Of A Salesman* (1951), it is still a great event deserving applause. It is long over-due. All I can say is It's about time!"

And thanks TCM!

4990273638_e74e76b33a_m.jpg

Kyle (Great to see you back here, Donna) In Hollywood