Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

This thread is obviously similar to the original DO YOU KNOW ME? thread, which encompasses all actors of all decades up to present, but differs in that this one is geared specifically towards actors whose most popular movies or whose career occurred between the silent era up to 1970. (If someone thinks it should extend to 1980, let me know. I couldn?t decide.) This thread is for those who want to work in that time frame solely. Anyone interested in playing this thread will know the subject in question falls under that category, such as:

?My name may not be very well known today, but from 1936 to 1940, I made 18 films, four with Bette Davis and I was in with a very hip crowd. I always played a good girl with a sweet disposition and I didn?t look like your typical star. I had a more down-to-earth quality and was always somebody?s kid sister. My other costars included James Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, Lana Turner, and Kay Francis, just to name a few. My last film was sequel to a popular movie with a bunch of my friends, one of which I convinced to run for office. I married a pharmaceutical executive and retired from Hollywood, so I enjoy home life and so that I could get involved in my community and service to others.?

?Do you know me??

?I am Jane Bryan. I was in Marked Woman, Kid Galahad, The Sisters, and The Old Maid with Bette Davis. I also was in Brother Rat and Brother Rat and a Baby, with good friends, Eddie Albert, Jane Wyman, and Ronald Reagan, who I convinced to run for governor of California. I left Hollywood and married Justin Dart, whose father-in-law from his first wife was Charles Walgreen, founder of Walgreen drugstores.?

Your turn.

Thanks, Lana.

I was a sports star in college, then headed for Hollywood, where I gradually worked my way up from bit parts to "B" leads. Darkly handsome, I was recruited by MGM as a particular superstar's replacement during WW II. However , I never became a major star. I played both good guys and bad guys, playing one of each in two films with Mickey Rooney. I was married three times, each marriage to a minor actress.

John Hodiak--

He was, indeed, very handsome i.e. in *The Harvey Girls*.

This was my first guess-- please believe me--but I like Hodiak better--

James Craig

I was a handsome young man from the Midwest and in a band in the Jazz Age.

But people remember me from the eary motion pictures.

Maybe I was most famous for who I married, than for who I was.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 8, 2010 3:06 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jul 8, 2010 6:59 PM

Yes, indeed Miles. And his famous wife was Mary Pickford.

Miles, it's all yours.

Yes, Buddy Rogers was a successful actor and bandleader. His theme song was, of course, "My Buddy". Now, do you know me? Maybe not because I spent most of my career in what are known as "B" movies. I was a very talented child singer. At the age of twelve, I was singing with the Ted Weems Orchestra along with a couple of other singers named Perry Como and Marilyn Maxwell. In my early teens I got into movies, first at Warner Bros. and then at another studio that specialized in lower budget movies. In the early 1940's, I was in a string of movies with a popular western star, usually playing a precocious, but talented child named Patsy. When my western star went into the army, I worked with several other stars. I was in the movie that first paired Dale Evans and Roy Rogers. I was kind of my studio's version of Judy Garland, only without the budget and the publicity. By age nineteen, I was getting tired of "playing younger" for the studio, so I left movies entirely. My last movie was released when I was twenty. I never went back. Do you know me?

Miles,

Still looking and wading through all the Ted Weems links and Roy and Dale movies. I just wanted to say that on IMDB at least, while Roy is first on the cast list, Trigger is second, Dale's third...

Yes, It's Mary Lee. After appearing in a Nancy Drew movie at Warner's, she moved on to Republic and was cast in a string of movies with Gene Autry. Gene referred to her as his "Little Darlin". In the first on screen pairing of Roy and Dale, "The Cowboy And The Senorita", she played Dale's little sister. All of her movies were made between 1939 and 1945. She got married and never went back to acting. Your thread, Dan.

Thanks, Miles.

Do you know me?

I'm considered an Australian actress, but I was not born in that country.

I have been blessed with many offers of work, and have been in over 25 films or TV appearances in the last 17 years. Over the years, I have appeared in films based on classic works, including the title role in a very famous novel which has been adapted for the screen no fewer than 12 times.

In one of my films, I co-starred with the devil. In another, I was a devilish flirt.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

This thread was specifically set up as DO YOU KNOW ME (1900-1970) for questions about people of the classic movie period. It appears that you are once again asking questions about recent stuff, and are doing so on a thread that was specifically set up to preclude such questions. If it is NOT a recent actress, then I apologize. If it IS, then your question should be disallowed, and the thread should be open.

Edited by: finance on Jul 11, 2010 1:38 PM

mudski wrote:

Nicole Kidman ?

Bless your heart, I was certain that someone would come up with the name of Nicole Kidman. But I am not she. Yes, she is an Australian actress who was not born in Australia... but there seem to be many others.

New clue: I have a five-year-old child.

You might want to concentrate on that clue about my having the title role in a film based on a classic novel that has been adapted for the screen no fewer than TWELVE TIMES.

Cheers,

Dan

?I am one of the last remaining actresses of the silent era and will be 104 in December. I also was a WAMPAS Baby Star. My second film was a silent classic with Greta Garbo, and I made an early talkie with Harold Lloyd. After 35 films, I left Hollywood in 1935 and never looked back. I?ve refused all interviews ever since.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 12, 2010 1:27 PM

I was foreign-born, but was raised in the US. I fought in WW I even though I was underage. In the '20s, I was a shirt model, and a small-time Broadway and film actor. I found my niche in Hollywood in tough villian roles, being nominated for an Oscar for one of them. I also played many arrogant heroes, and some comedy roles, in a four-decade screen career. In the '40s, I starred in the first film directed by a legendary director, and had top billing in a film also starring a renowned male-female screen team.