Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Thanks.

?When WWI began, I didn?t wait for America to get involved. I got involved and enlisted in the French Army and was twice decorated for bravery. I came back home after the war and got into acting and enjoyed a long productive career. I was always the businessman or lawyer. I was known for playing historical people quite well in film shorts. In 1936 and 1938 I acted in two historical shorts in which I was praised for my work, one of them in which I recited a long speech in one take and both of them won Oscars as short films.?

?Do you know me??

I thank you but I couldn't have done it without Bette Davis!

I'm a European professional dancer.

I danced on Broadway.

I've danced with Fred Astaire.

I made my film debut in a big Selznick Picture.

Who am I?

Astaire's last show on Broadway was without Adele. And in several reviews, there were famous female dancers on Broadway that he danced with to have a romantic dance--because he couldn't do that with his sister.

I was a genial character comedian of stage and screen, typically as a timid, mischievously wistful man, often a henpecked husband. I appeared in close to 100 films, including 2 famous mid to late '30s comedies, and in several early '30s Lubitsch films. I had a brother who was also active in the film industry.

?Born in Belfast, Ireland in 1895, I was the daughter of a solicitor, who directed an opera house, whose lights and aura fascinated me. I started on the stage in 1918, and I was discovered by a movie director while riding the London Underground. I was cast in a few movies with the leading men of the time. My personal life was just as dramatic as my movies, if not more so. But I have three children, of whom I?m all proud of, and who all went into the business in one way or another, my daughter being a very good actress, very good. I had the pleasure of working with her in a movie that?s still seen today, just about this time of year.?

?Do you know me??

Thanks and that was a good question, since I don't think it's been asked before.

I was London born and appeared on the London stage. Then I was off to Broadway and began making films in 1929.For the most part I was known for playing villians. I had a role in a very well known much loved film in 1964, when I unfortunately had a fatal heartache. Who am I ?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Oct 14, 2010 5:39 PM

Thanks, Lavender...

I was born in Louisiana after my biological father died. I was later given up for adoption by my mother. I joined the Navy at a young age during WWII, but was discharged when they discovered my real age...

My first movie was a Martin and Lewis vehicle...I was in several major movies in the mid to late fifties, oftentimes playing a brother or an impulsive son. Many were westerns... By the late sixties onward, I was on television playing guest appearances and a cop series in the 1970s. There was also some confusion when my name was interchanged with another actor...I operated a dinner theater which closed after 1987...I am involved in animal rights...Who am I ?