Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

allaboutlana

Thanks.

?When WWI began, I didn?t wait for America to get involved. I got involved and enlisted in the French Army and was twice decorated for bravery. I came back home after the war and got into acting and enjoyed a long productive career. I was always the businessman or lawyer. I was known for playing historical people quite well in film shorts. In 1936 and 1938 I acted in two historical shorts in which I was praised for my work, one of them in which I recited a long speech in one take and both of them won Oscars as short films.?

?Do you know me??

I was a genial character comedian of stage and screen, typically as a timid, mischievously wistful man, often a henpecked husband. I appeared in close to 100 films, including 2 famous mid to late '30s comedies, and in several early '30s Lubitsch films. I had a brother who was also active in the film industry.

?Born in Belfast, Ireland in 1895, I was the daughter of a solicitor, who directed an opera house, whose lights and aura fascinated me. I started on the stage in 1918, and I was discovered by a movie director while riding the London Underground. I was cast in a few movies with the leading men of the time. My personal life was just as dramatic as my movies, if not more so. But I have three children, of whom I?m all proud of, and who all went into the business in one way or another, my daughter being a very good actress, very good. I had the pleasure of working with her in a movie that?s still seen today, just about this time of year.?

?Do you know me??

Thanks and that was a good question, since I don't think it's been asked before.

I was London born and appeared on the London stage. Then I was off to Broadway and began making films in 1929.For the most part I was known for playing villians. I had a role in a very well known much loved film in 1964, when I unfortunately had a fatal heartache. Who am I ?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Oct 14, 2010 5:39 PM

Thanks, Lavender...

I was born in Louisiana after my biological father died. I was later given up for adoption by my mother. I joined the Navy at a young age during WWII, but was discharged when they discovered my real age...

My first movie was a Martin and Lewis vehicle...I was in several major movies in the mid to late fifties, oftentimes playing a brother or an impulsive son. Many were westerns... By the late sixties onward, I was on television playing guest appearances and a cop series in the 1970s. There was also some confusion when my name was interchanged with another actor...I operated a dinner theater which closed after 1987...I am involved in animal rights...Who am I ?