Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Thanks, I got lucky with that one, I remembered that Earl Holliman once owned a dinner theater. Are dinner theaters still around? Now, on another thread yesterday, I posted a question about Vaughn Monroe. He was a bandleader and singer with several hit songs. One of his biggest hits was "Ghost Riders In the Sky". That song was written by a former park ranger in Death Valley named Stan Jones. We had posts about him a few weeks ago, as well. In a western movie, I played an old prospector who lay dying in a cabin while a storm raged outside. As I was dying, Gene Autry sang "Ghost Riders In The Sky". I worked frequently with Gene. You might say I worked frequently, period. I am one of the most prolific character actors in Hollywood history. I specialized in westerns, but I worked in all genres. I played a lot of sheriffs, ranch hands, and henchmen. I often played the father of the leading lady. Occasionally I played the lead villain. In non-westerns, I still played cops and henchmen. You probably thought Gabby Hayes was in a lot of movies, but his total doesn't come close to mine. Do you know me?

Thanks.

?Born in Surrey, England in 1907, I fell absolutely in love with the stage and enjoyed an active and prolific career, including British tv, earning praise from the critics, receiving British awards for my performances and was awarded a CBE and the title of Dame from Her Majesty in the 1950s for my contributions to the stage. I made a film for Mr. Hitchcock in 1935, and I worked with Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor in some of my films. But I will probably be known to most people for an epic miniseries and a movie both made the same year, the movie I won the American Oscar for.?

?Do you know me??

Do you know me? I was born in England and I came to Hollywood in the 1930's. At first I played small roles in several films, but my striking beauty soon got me some attention and I was cast in bigger budget films. Over the years I appeared in one of the many versions of "The Three Musketeers", as well as a version of " The Last Of The Mohicans". I appeared in two films for Mr. Hitchcock. I was a regular in a movie detective series and I also did some voice work in some classic animated films. In the fifties and sixties, I worked on a lot of TV shows. I kept my looks throughout my career. In the seventies, I had a recurring role in a much loved family oriented sit-com. Do you know me?

Yes, I am the lovely Heather Angel. I was in "Suspicion" and "Lifeboat" for Alfred Hitchcock. I was a regular in the "Bulldog Drummond" movie series. I voiced characters in "Alice In Wonderland" and "Peter Pan" for Disney, and I played Miss Faversham on "Family Affair". I was the English nanny who often met Mr. French in the park. Good job, finance. Now you're up.

I began modeling as a baby, and played child roles on stage and in late-'20s film. I returned to films in the late '30s playing leads in A and B films, mainly for Fox, through the mid '40s. I appeared in many Broadway productions, most notably in one play. I repeated the role from this play in a brief return to films in the mid '50s. My brother was also an actor.

Edited by: finance on Oct 21, 2010 6:16 PM

Thanks. Do you know me? I was born before the turn of the century and during World War I, I served as a spy in Germany and other countries. After the war, I wanted to work in the theater, so I went to New York and was lucky enough to find my way into several Broadway productions. I was also a fine singer, and that served me well in operettas. I was noticed in New York and I was given a chance to come to Hollywood. I was in a few movies at MGM before getting a break. I was cast opposite Gloria Swanson in a movie. She was one of the top stars at the time. The movies were silent then, but later, when sound came in, I was able to display my vocal talents in several films, some of which were in color. I signed with Universal for a few years. I was in operettas, comedies, and straight dramatic roles. I was even in one of their classic horror films. In one musical revue film, I got to sing the popular song "It Happened In Monterey", even though there was a young fellow in the cast named Bing Crosby who wanted to sing it. I was better known at the time. I freelanced for a while. I was in a couple of movies with Shirley Temple and one well known film with Barbara Stanwyck. Later, in another revue film, I played Kathryn Grayson's father. I retired in the 1950's. I could no longer be a leading man, and my operetta style of singing was no longer popular. Do you know me?

Yes, I am. The Shirley Temple clues probably gave it away. Boles was in "Frankenstein" and he played Kathryn Grayson's father in "Thousands Cheer". He was in some early musicals like "Rio Rita" and "The Desert Song". He Sang "It Happened In Monterey" in "King Of Jazz" in 1930. That was a musical and comedy revue featuring Paul Whiteman's orchestra as well as Bing Crosby and the Rhythm Boys. I'll bet you didn't know that he was a spy in World War I. Your turn, Lana.

Thanks.

?I served in WWI, where I suffered shell shock and was advised acting as therapy. I became a very respected actor on the stage and in movies and even tried other aspects of film, including directing and producing. But I put it all on hold to serve in WWII, where I was shot down and killed.?

?Do you know me??