Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Thanks, Lana.

When I was fourteen, I started playing the saxophone in the Catskills. I later went to Juilliard School of Music Before becoming an actor. While a musician in the Coast Guard, I started improvising my comedy routines which led to my first screen role in 1946. I was a musician, composer, comedian, and actor, being very active on TV in the fifties. I was in a few movies in the 70s and early 80s including a well-known comedy and a musical.....Who am I ?

Edited by: mudskipper on Oct 27, 2010 11:25 PM

I was a versatile performer of British stage and screen. I was educated partly at Cambridge and trained for the stage at the Old Vic. On stage from age 13, I made my screen debut in the mid '30s. Although I remained primarily a stage actor, performing in French and German as well as English, I appeared in many films, in both leads and character roles, often cast as a decadent aristocrat.

Right. I have played a variety of roles in films. These include:

In one film, I played a Jewish activist.

In another, I was a washed-up, drunken movie actor.

I have also played one of the most popular film characters of all time.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No, not Sir Laurence Olivier.

But you know, I wish that when somebody submits a guess to my questions, they would also submit the REASONS for that guess. But you already knew that.

I said that I've played a variety of different roles: a Jewish activist, a washed-up drunk, even one of the most popular film characters ever.

New clue: I've also played a German intelligence officer.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

cujas wrote:

James Mason

Well, James Mason would certainly fit the character of the "washed-up, drunken movie actor," a role he played skillfully in "A Star is Born" (1954). But I can't seem to find him ever playing a Jewish activist.

And did Mason ever play a German intelligence officer? That was another of the clues, remember?

I get the feeling that at this point, you guys are just throwing out names of any actor that comes to mind. But I warn you, that plan will not avail you. Back up your guesses with facts.

Okay, here is a NEW CLUE for you:

I've said that I played a Jewish activist. Actually, I played roles like that in more than one film.

And here is the question again:

In more than one film, I played a Jewish activist.

In another film, I was a washed-up, drunken movie actor.

I have also played one of the most popular film characters of all time.

I have also played a German intelligence officer.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

FYI-*Boys from Brazil*

Monsieur Dan--Vous avez le method d'un professeur de la Sorbonne. Il y avait un professeur comme ca a Paris, il me donnerait une critique comme cela.

Mais, monsieur, vous n'etes pas mon professeur et c'est simplement un jeu--Calmez-vous. Ce n'est pas la vie ou la mort.

Et les jeux sont faits.

Edited by: cujas on Nov 8, 2010 4:12 PM

Edited by: cujas on Nov 8, 2010 4:13 PM

Thanks, cujas, for the compliment. At least I think it was a compliment. (lol)

Moi, a professor from the Sorbonne? Not likely. I'm just an ordinary, middle-class movie lover who likes playing these trivia games.

Cheers,

Dan

Well, Dan we do have something in common because I'm just a middle class, Midwesterner who loves movies and likes playing trivia games too.

I said James Mason because I thought he fit the criteria. It's what we in the Midwest call an "educated guess".

Okay, here's a new clue.

I've said that I have played one of the most popular film characters of all time. Well, actually I played that character twice. The second film was a sequel to the first.

Here is the rest of the question:

Do you know me?

I've played a Jewish activist. Actually, I played roles like that in more than one film.

In another film, I was a washed-up, drunken movie actor.

I have also played one of the most popular film characters of all time... twice. The second film was a sequel to the first.

I have also played a German intelligence officer.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Well, this question has been up since November 3. Today is Nov. 12 -- or 13, depending on where you live -- so that means the question has been up and unanswered for NINE (9) or TEN (10) days!

I admire the thoroughness that most of you film fans display, on other questions. But mine seem to go unanswered, for the most part, although I have continually given you extra hints.

So, under the powers vested in me by TCM, I hereby declare this thread OPEN!

Cheers,

Dan

A fine English Actress:

*She was a favorite of Edward VII.

*She appeared in a Golden Age Classic Film--lauded by critics and public alike.

*Her daughter married a reknown English actor.

*She appeared in one film with her actor/son-in-law.

Who was this lady?

Edited by: cujas on Nov 13, 2010 3:54 PM

Hint Plus!--Her one time son-in-law is considered to be "a prince of players" and an "actor's actor".