Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Thanks. Do you know me? I was one of the original Zeigfeld Follies girls. By the 1920's I was playing leads on Broadway in both comedies and dramas. In the early thirties, I was in a Broadway show with Fred Astaire. When my chance at movies came along, I was already middle aged, so I was relegated to character parts. I specialized in playing the wise cracking friend, aunt, or mother of the female lead. I worked with Fred again in a couple of films, as well as with Edward Everett Horton. I did mostly comedies and a few dramas. My son became an actor and had a very nice career in both movies and television. In fact, he won an Oscar. Do you know me?

Yes, I am Helen Broderick, the mother of Broderick Crawford. I worked with Fred Astaire on Broadway in "The Bandwagon" and later in the movies "Top Hat" and "Swing Time". You're turn, finance.

I entered films with Paramount in the '40s out of high school with no acting experience, and starred in a number of the studio's films. I suffered from stage fright, and had alcohol problems which curtailed my career. I died in my '30s from these problems.

Edited by: finance on Dec 15, 2010 10:26 AM

Edited by: finance on Dec 15, 2010 4:00 PM

I was born in Chicago and first appeared on film as a troubled youth indoctrinated into Nazism. This role won me praise and received good reviews. I did work frequently during my teens, mostly in troubled youth roles. I never became a star, but remained a character actor playing villains in westerns and crime dramas. As my movie career faded, I turned more and more to TV roles. I was a series regular in a TV crime show in the early sixties and again in a medical show in the early seventies...Do you know me?

I was a child star of '40s films. My stage mother drove me into stage and modeling appearance before the age of 6. I appeared in several late-'30s films, and reached my peak in the mid-'40s in one particular film. But it was downhill from then on, and my film career was all but finished by the early '50s. I made my Broadway debut in 1950, and appeared in many plays, TV dramas, and series episodes. By the late '60s I had become a real estate broker.

Edited by: finance on Dec 23, 2010 6:14 PM

Hint: Elia Kazan------I will be off the boards until Monday. I have a number of O/S questions, for which my response to answers will have to wait until Monday.

Edited by: finance on Dec 24, 2010 1:28 PM

In the '40's, I played naughty femme fatales, for the most part. Although I did play a beautiful, understanding and supportive wife in a film noir classic. My career was cut short by an automobile accident. I wasn't killed, but badly injured.

I was born in Czechoslovokia, and was a stage and screen actor there, from 1936. I went to England in 1939 and appeared in numerous British, American, and Continental films. My imposing screen personality has been effective in romantic leads and evil character parts. I was memorable playing a real-life powerful figure. Later in my career I appeared in several of a series of comic films.