Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

allaboutlana

"My father was a proctologist, but I never went into medicine. I sang on radio and gave piano and violin recitals in my teens. I also studied acting with Maria Ouspenskaya.... During WW II, I was a navigator-bombardier for the US Army Air Corps, flying many missions over Germany and continuing in the US Air Force Reserve until 1960...I went to Hollywood after the war and became known mainly as a villain in movie and TV westerns....Maybe you can tell me who I am ?"

Edited by: mudskipper on Jan 3, 2011 6:45 PM

Yes, it was Myron Healey... Reading his life story showed me a different perspective on a man who otherwise would have been just another villain in the movies. Now, whenever I see him on the screen, I'll always remember that he flew more combat missions than Jimmy Stewart during WW II. Not that it really matters though, except to me....Your thread, Miles.

Thanks. Do you know me? I was originally from New York, but I grew up in the west. Although I had done a little film work earlier, my movie career really started after World War II with small roles and bit parts. When television started making numerous western shows, I was about the busiest guy in Hollywood. I appeared many times on shows like "The Lone Ranger", "The Range Rider", "The Adventures Of Kit Carson" and "The Gene Autry Show", usually playing villains, but occasionally a good guy. I probably lost more fist fights with Gene Autry than any other actor. I alternated between TV guest spots and theatrical movies. I had small roles in some major films like "White Heat" and "The Day The Earth Stood Still". I finally got to star in a TV western series in the mid-fifties that was on Saturday mornings, in which I played a lawman. The show ran for about three years. I had played mostly villains for years, but for the rest of my career, I played a lot of lawmen in both western and modern stories. I was a contemporary of the aforementioned Myron Healey. We played the same types of roles. Do you know me?

Yes, I am Harry Lauter. The TV series that I starred in was called "Tales Of The Texas Rangers". Did you remember him, Lana? If you have the Encore Western Channel and watch some of the old 1950's TV shows and movies, you will see plenty of Harry Lauter. If you check his filmography, you'll wonder when he ever slept. He must have had a very good agent. Others who seemed to be bad guys in virtually every TV western include Jack Elam, George J. Lewis, John Doucette, Denver Pyle, yes, The Duke's Uncle Jessie, Gregg Barton, Terry Frost, Kenne Duncan, Lee Van Cleef, and Robert J. Wilke. Van Cleef and Wilke were baddies in "High Noon". Good job, Lana. Your turn now.

Thanks.

Since you like western actors, here?s one for ya, partner.

?I made almost 150 appearances in film and tv from 1951 to 1977, including shows like Laramie, Johnny Ringo, Harrigan and Son, Bronco, and Wanted: Dead or Alive. I would do anything they asked me to do, be a crooked judge, or be a cavalry officer. You name it. I appeared in a lot of movies for a good friend of mine, who was very professional and a great American. And, I spoke the last line in a famous western.?

?Do you know me??

(Rephrased)

"No, I'm not. I can be found in a lot of James Stewart's westerns, and in one of them, I told a special person that nothing's too good for him (for what he did for us.)"

and

"I also had bit parts in Million Dollar Mermaid and Ms. Garland's A Star is Born as, of all things, a movie director, and I represented the law in "The Big Heat."

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jan 7, 2011 12:35 PM

Thanks. Do you know me? I have been seen on TCM quite a bit in the last month or so. I was a veteran of silent movies and the Broadway stage. When sound came to the movies, I was already a middle-aged actor. I was the original Moon Face Martin in "Anything Goes" on Broadway. I appeared in a Broadway show with Fred Astaire, and later I worked with him in a Hollywood movie. I starred in a rather sad film about neglected senior citizens, and I was in a quirky holiday movie where I played a rather optimistic hobo. I specialized in playing a nice, well meaning old guy with a little twinkle in his eye. Do you know me?

You are Victor Moore, who played the hobo Aloysius T. McKeever opposite Charlie Ruggles' millionaire Michael O'Connor in "It Happened On Fifth Avenue". This is the one where a hobo takes over a millionaire's apartment in Manhattan while the owner is away. I saw it on TCM a few months ago.

You were also Barkley Cooper opposite Beulah Bondi's Lucy Cooper in "Make Way For Tomorrow", a tearjerker about an elderly couple who were forced to separate when they lose their house and their children won't take them in...a very common occurrence nowadays...

Thanks...

I was born in Dallas County, Texas and was a member of a quartet during the 1930s. In a series of films, I was the voice of the title character. I was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor for a role in a John Wayne movie, but embarrassed the Duke for actively campaigning for the award. Finally, I was in the first World Series of Poker, being friends with the founder....Who me ?

Thanks. Do you know me? I came from a show biz family. As a child, a starred in a TV series with Noah Beery Jr. He also was from a family of actors. As a young adult, I turned to music. In the sixties I was part of a rock and roll band that was put together to garner TV ratings and we ended up with some popular hit songs, some written by Neil Diamond. My daughter has followed in the family tradition and is also an actress. Do you know me?

Archived