Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Thanks...

I was born in New York and joined the marines in WWII, fighting in Guadalcanal and becoming the only survivor of my platoon. I was also sick with malaria, taking almost a year to recuperate.

After the war, I started as a stand-up comic and impressionist. I adopted the last name of my first wife for my stage name. My TV career started after I won the Ted Mack Amateur Hour, but my most famous role was that in a particular series in the 1960s ....You should have no problem knowing me...

Ah, it's the old name the actor trick...You didn't miss it by Thaaaat much.

...Pardon me, while I get on my shoe phone...you can have the thread.

Thanks.

?I was on Broadway at the age of six in a production of Peter Ibbettson, and I made my screen debut at the age of nine. At 14, I dropped my last name and continued acting. I was more successful than most child actors in staying in demand and out of trouble. I starred in Grade A movies of the mid to late 1930s that are considered classics today. I was usually seen as rich young ladies. I was married for 20 years to a producer, up to his death, and I had an active tv career, even substituting as host for Loretta?s show.?

?Do you know me??

(Revised with more info)

?I was on Broadway at the age of six in a production of Peter Ibbettson, and I made my screen debut at the age of nine. At 14, I dropped my last name and went by my first and middle name for my stage name. I was more successful than most child actors in staying in demand and out of trouble. I starred in Grade A movies of the mid to late 1930s, which costarred Olivia de Havilland, Paul Muni, Bette Davis, Kay Francis, and Shirley Temple. I portrayed Marie Antoinette once, but in Norma Shearer?s version of it, I was a princess. I was married for 20 years to a producer, up to his death, and I had an active tv career, even substituting as host for Loretta?s show.?

?Do you know me??

Thanks...

I was born in New York of Irish heritage, but my parents divorced when I was young. With my mother and sister, I moved to New York City where I attended Manhattan's Professional Children's School and became a member of the New York Children's Opera Company. My stage debut was in "Watch On The Rhine". I went to Hollywood during my teen years and starred mostly in musicals, although I first gained notice in a dramatic role...

A quick one to jumpstart this:

?I acted in movies and television, until I invested all my money in making a movie that would eventually never be released and I lost everything. I started over with an ambulance service in the Los Angeles County area in the 1970s. I was a sidekick in a series of westerns in the movies, but my biggest ?15 minutes? of fame came courtesy of a 1939 character that died in service for my country but from pneumonia.?

?Do you know me??

I?m glad you answered it, as it was your turn anyway and probably just forgot about it. Thanks for playing, and now you go, Miss Blue.

Thanks, I did forget about this one.

This actor studied law in college, but found acting to be his true calling.He made his film debut in the 1930's and by the end of the decade was a leading actor. He was a radio star and appeared on Broadway. In the 1970's he directed a popular sit com that was somewhat groundbreaking. He made his film comeback in the 1980's and for one of the films he won an Oscar .In the 90's just days before his passing he completed his last film. He received 2 stars on the Walk of Fame, one for his radio work, the other for his contribution to television. Who was this charming, talented actor?

That was quick. Don Ameche directed Julia the 70's sit com. I always enjoy watching the film *Trading Places* Jamie Lee Curtis said that after the film was completed, Mr. Ameche apoligized to every actor on the set for using the f word! in one of his lines. He was was always a pleasure to watch. Good work Finance, you're up.

In 1965 I appeared in my first film and had a starring role. I was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for that film in 1966. At the time I was the youngest nominee ever in that category. I lost to Julie Christie. Over the next few years I was in a few more films and did some TV. But I will always be remembered for my first role. Unfortunately, I became mentally ill and soon was unable to work. Finally, in 1985 I moved to Pittsburgh near my family so they could look after me. I lived within walking distance of a mental hospital where I kept appointments. I was also near Carnegie Mellon University where I volunteered my time in the drama department. One day in 1985, after phoning my psychiatrist, I fell to my death from my upper-floor apartment.

Okay, I'll take it then :)

I was a very handsome, very popular, very gay matinee idol. I lived with the same man for close to 50 years, until my death. Many of my contemporaries called us "the happiest married couple in Hollywood." I made mostly silent films but a few talkies as well. My movie career ended when Louis B. Mayer gave me an ultimatum: "Get married or I won't renew your contract." I responded "I already am married." I left MGM and became a successful interior designer. Numerous stars became close friends as well as clients.