Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

William Haines, who made several silents with Joan Crawford. She was his first client and she recommended him to all her friends. He and his partner I believe died within a year of each other in the 1970s.

The day Haines died, his partner Jimmie Shields put on Haines' pajamas, took an overdose of sleeping pills, crawled into their bed and died. Haines' company "William Haines Designs" still thrives today in West Hollywood.

Thanks.

?Some might say I?ve had the ideal life, and I?m inclined to agree. Born in 1932 in New York, I went into modeling and had an interest in acting. I worked steadily in tv and movies in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s as a dependable supporting actress, including two Glenn Ford westerns. I enjoyed the work but also the fact my personal life was my own, since I wasn?t a recognizable celebrity. I married and divorced my first husband, but the main reason I would agree that I?ve lived the ideal life is that I married in Paris in 1962 to a wonderful man and in my opinion one of the greatest actors who ever lived. We were married for almost forty years, up to his death. He directed me in a movie and I costarred in a movie of his in 1986, my last film appearance. If you don?t think you know me as yet, here?s a reference to a movie I made in the 1960s, which was probably my meatiest role: There are just some things you don?t ask your wife to do. Whether she does it or not, it?s up to her.?

?Do you know me??

Thanks Lana, oh to have been married to Jack Lemmon-The stuff that dreams are made of....(lol)

I was discovered by a legendary personality while singing in a college musical. I've been nominated twice for an Oscar, once for Best Actress, once for Best Supporting. Both films I was nominated for co-starred the same very famous actor who is a multiple Oscar winner, Also as fate would have it, the man who discovered me, was nominated and won an Oscar the same year I was nominated, but for a different film.I've had my ups and downs, personally and professionally but I'm a tropper and survivor. My career laqgged for a while, then I was fortunate enough to be in 2 hugely successful films, one a sequel to the other in the 1990's with a stellar cast, I've been married to the same man for almost 45 years. Do you know me?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Feb 24, 2011 3:34 PM

Of course I'm Ann Margaret. I was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for my work in *Carnal Knowledge* and Best Actress for *Tommy* . Jack Nicholson was in both those films. George Burns discovered me, and he won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor the year I was nominated for *Tommy*. That's show biz. By now everyone knows of my affair with Elvis. 1961 I began my career in Capra's remake *Pocket full of Miracles* ( I prefer *Lady 'For A Day* ), followed by *State Fair* . The next year, *Bye, Bye Birdie* , not bad for a newcomer . Roger (77 Sunset Strip) Smith)and I have been married almost 45 years.Good work Finance and it's your thread.

I was born in Latin America and began dancing professionally as a child, and later appeared with my uncle's dance band. I was a dramatic actress in films, dancing in only a couple, and was typecast as a tragic soul. Two of my best-known roles were as a murder victim and a slum girl. After retiring from show business, I became heavily involved in civic activities. In the '50s, I performed with my second husband as a song and dance duo in nightclubs.

Edited by: finance on Mar 1, 2011 10:26 AM

Edited by: finance on Mar 1, 2011 3:29 PM

Edited by: finance on Mar 1, 2011 5:31 PM

Thanks.

?I was born in 1906, in Oklahoma, but of course, it wasn?t Oklahoma at the time, just Indian territory. Graduating from the University of Oklahoma, I won a scholarship to study drama in New York. My theater debut was in 1928, delivering eight lines. I made such a good impression with my baritone voice, that I was put into musicals. I played the same role from the play for the Hollywood film of it, for which was my start in films. I made 24 films from 1934 to 1939. I was given great reviews for my over-the-top performances, but eventually the work died down and I dabbled some in tv in the 50s and 60s.?

?Do you know me??

He started in films when he was five. He appeared in 2 films when he was thirteen, one starring an iconic actor, the other considered a classic. He landed a plum role on TV and that same year appeared in a musical comedy film with a legend.There were many acting roles on assorted tv shows. His career might have continued, but a very famoius film critic wrote that this actor was a heroin addict.It was not true, but the damage was done. The critic did not retract his mistake for almost 25 years until a lawsuit forced his hand. This actor became a successful businessman and an inventor of some products. Can you name him?

Billy Gray, from *Father Knows Best*

Edited by: Leanox on Mar 5, 2011 1:52 PM

Correct, Billy Gray.

*Jim Thorpe All American* , *The Day The Earth Stood Still* , *By Light Of The Silvery Moon* , *On Moonlight Bay*, etc. Leonard Maltin published in his books that Billy Gray was a heroin addict and drug pusher. He had played that role in Dusty and Sweets McGee but Maltin saw fit to publish that he was in real life. The book came out in 1974 and not until 1998 did he retract and publicly apoligize to Billy Gray because of the lawsuit. So the next time someone wants to criticize our RO for saying Joel McCrea instead of Joel Grey think about how minor a mistake that really is.

You're up, Leanox.

With a mother and sister to support, this actor went to Los Angeles. He soon secured a contract with Paramount Pictures.

After his move to Hollywood, he began a career in Westerns. He was one of the few actors to successfully bridge the transition from silents to talkies.

He was in Oscar nominated and memorable films early in his career.