Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

I was a stable boy when first discovered by a British film crew. My best films were from England, mostly of the escapist and exotic variety.... I later moved to the United States and became a U.S. citizen, serving with distinction as a tail gunner in WWII. Most of my films in the U.S. were nothing to write home about, however, and by the late 50s my career was practically over, although I was friends with Ronald Reeagan and Jimmy Stewart. I died of a heart attackl in 1963. Who am I?

I will try one, since I've not posted here in a while:

"Born in Pittsburgh, but raised in Nebraska, I was brought up by my grandmother, after my mother died. I quickly went on the road, after high school, to join a traveling tent show, where I was a magician's assistant. Then leaving that, I joined a stock company and got the experience needed to start my own and make my way to Hollywood. I was one of the original founders of the Screen Actors Guild. I starred in pre-code movies with Ann Dvorak, Bette Davis, and Kay Francis. Just to stay in the public eye and stay busy, I usually took what was offered to me in films, tv, and radio. I was the first actor to play Batman's "Commissioner Gordon" and Superman's "Lex Luthor." I may be remembered also for some horror/sci-fi films that I would like to forget."

"Do you know me?"

Edited by: allaboutlana on Apr 27, 2011 10:39 AM

I was born in Spain, and was a vivacious leading lady of Hollywood second features, mostly comedies and musicals. I was raised in Chile, where I was a swimming and tennis champ, and started my career in the US as a fashion model and cover girl. My last film was in the mid-'40s.

Edited by: finance on Apr 28, 2011 6:39 PM

My best-known film had me playing an uncredited role. It was a comedy starring Carole Lombard

Edited by: finance on Apr 29, 2011 4:10 PM

Thanks. Do you know me? I also had an unusual name, although it was only a stage name. Because of my looks, my studio cast me in movies where I played rather exotic women and "native girls". Hollywood already had Lupe Velez, who was known as the Mexican Spitfire. My studio, Universal, tried to bill me as "The VenezuaIan Volcano". In a loan out, I was in one Tarzan movie with Johnny Weissmuller, but the rest of my career was in "B" movies. I was not Venezualan at all. I was from Wyoming and part native American. By the early fifties, my career was going nowhere. I retired from movies and raised a family in Arizona. My husband had a car dealership there and I did some local TV commercials for him, but that was the extent of my on-camera work until I came out of retirement in the early nineties for one last movie. You would have to be a real fan of "B" movies of the forties and early fifties to remember me. Do you know me?

You must be Burnu Acquanetta, also known as Mildred Davenport, born in Cheyenne, Wyoming of Arapaho descent. You were in Tarzan and The Leopard Woman with Johnny Weissmuller and a number of B horror movies, and later did local TV shows and commercials in Mesa and Phoenix, AZ....

Yes, she was usually billed as just "Acquanetta". She actually made very few movies in what was essentially an eleven year career. She came out of retirement in 1990 to appear in "The Legend Of Grizzly Adams". Your turn now, muddy.

I was in a number of Roy Rogers movies and was set to star in a picture about Lupe Velez when I was suddenly found dead at age 37 years old. I was known as the Cuban spitfire...Who am I ?

Clue:...My penultimate movie was a John Wayne western with three singers who have had hit songs...I challenge you to name them also.

Edited by: mudskipper on May 5, 2011 2:09 AM

You must be Estelita Rodriguez. You were in several movies with Roy Rogers. You were also in "Rio Bravo" with singers Dean Martin ("That's Amore"), Ricky Nelson ("Traveling Man") and Sheb Wooley ("The Purple People Eater"). And don't forget Walter Brennan ("Old Rivers"). In "Rio Bravo", Dean, Ricky, and Walter sing "Cindy, Cindy" together.

Correct...The three singers I was thinking of were: Dean, Ricky, and Walter...I didn't know Sheb Wooley was in "Rio Bravo"....Anyway, your thread, Miles.

Thanks. Do you know me? I was born in Mexico where I became a well known singer. I went to New York to make some Spanish language recordings and decided to stay for a while. I studied opera and actually appeared at Carnegie Hall singing operatic as well as Mexican songs. I also worked in radio while there. Hollywood noticed me in the mid thirties, and I got to work in quite a few pictures, sometimes doing a specialty number, but often actually playing a role. Even though I always sang, I became a pretty fair actor. You might say I was the Mexican singing cowboy. I worked with Estelita Rodriguez in a Roy Rogers picture. I also worked with Mae West, Dorothy Lamour, Bob Hope, Ray Milland, and many others in the thirties and forties, but I always split my time between American films and Mexican films and recordings. I made my last American movie in the late forties. I spent the rest of my career working exclusively in Mexican movies and TV shows. Do you know me?