Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Thanks.

Born in Ireland, I made 268 appearances in American films from 1927 to 1955 in supporting roles and uncredited bits. But perhaps my most memorable role was in a comedy, where I was a dead ringer for a name in the news.

I made 268 appearances in American films from 1927 to 1955 in supporting roles and uncredited bits in Bob Hope films, Red Skelton films, The Thin Man movies, musicals, comedies, and dramas. The list includes the first all-talking feature film. In short, I was everywhere. I admit I'm not much to look at, but because of that, I can claim to be one of the most recognizeable faces in the movies, despite the fact most people don't know my name. I appeared with credit in a 1949 Gene Kelly musical and a 1943 Robert Taylor war picture. But perhaps my most memorable role was in a 1942 comedy, where I unfortunately resembled a name in the news.

"Then the picture's wrong too."

Yes, I am Tom Dugan, from To Be or Not to Be, Bataan, Take Me out to the Ball Game, and a slew of appearances. Your turn.

Thanks. Do you know me? I was a pretty good college football player in California, and like John Wayne, I got a chance to be in some movies in bit parts for a while before graduating to more substantial roles. Because of my size and background, I was in several football movies like "The Spirit Of Notre Dame" and "The All-American". I was in a couple of movies with Janet Gaynor before I was cast in a well known John Ford western. I was cast partly because I had some experience handling a team of horses from other movies. I found myself cast as the friend or sidekick to the star in many movies. I appeared often with Richard Arlen, Leo Carillo, and Dick Foran. I also worked many times with Roy Rogers, and in the fifties, I was one of the stars of a western TV series. I worked for John Ford several more times, including once where I played a heroic pilot. I also hosted a network children's show for several years. My later years were spent doing a lot of TV work. Do you know me?

No, I'm not Ward Bond. Remember, I hosted a network children's show. It was on Saturday mornings and was sponsored by Buster Brown shoes.

Yes, Andy Devine hosted a children's show on Saturday mornings in the fifties called "Andy's Gang". He played the part of "Cookie Bullfincher" in about ten movies with Roy Rogers in the late forties and early fifties. He is well known for playing the part of "Jingles" in "The Adventures Of Wild Bill Hickock" with Guy Madison. He also played the stage driver in John Ford's "Stagecoach" in 1939. He played a heroic pilot in "Island In The Sky", and a not so heroic marshal in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". In his later years, he was part of the "Over-The-Hill Gang" in a series of TV movies. Your turn, Dan.

Bumping this one.

What Oscar-winning actress has royal blood on both sides of her family?

Cheers,

Dan

Bumping this one.

What Oscar-winning actress has royal blood on both sides of her family?

Cheers,

Dan

If that is correct, this is the second time within a week, Dan, that you've ignored this (1900-1970) restriction. Please try to ask questions that involve classic movies and actors.

finance, how you talk! I have NOT ignored the 1900-1970 restriction on this thread. Tilda Swinton is not the correct answer.

How is T.S. even close to being correct, anyway? The closest she ever got to royal blood is when she attended school with Princess Diana.

No, fi, the question stands:

WHO is the only Oscar-winning actress with royal blood on both sides of the family? (Remember, this is a 1900 to 1970 thread, as finance will probably remind us again and again.)

Anyone?

Cheers,

Dan

I should have known it wasn't Tilda Swinton this morning, but just now reading these posts (by the way, finance, thanks for the vote of confidence) I thought of Gloria Grahame.

allaboutlana wrote:

I should have known it wasn't Tilda Swinton this morning, but just now reading these posts (by the way, finance, thanks for the vote of confidence) I thought of Gloria Grahame.

Your memory serves you well, Lana. Gloria Grahame is... CORRECT!!!

Your turn at bat, now.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks.

"Born in Missouri, I was studying to be a dentist when, on a whim, I decided to take up acting in the university theater group. I was taken by it so much, I moved to California with dreams on being a star. I was signed with a movie studio, but more importantly, while making a film in 1941, I met a beautiful girl, trying her hand at acting too, and married her. We were married for 49 years up to her death. I am more recognized for my tv career than my movie career having been on a very popular show, that lasted three seasons in the late 50s/early 60s. My wife and I acted together at the beginning of our careers and at the end, for in 1988 we appeared in a reunion movie for a 1970s tv show. After that chance of working with her again, I felt that was the best time to retire. Do you know me and my beautiful wife?"

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jun 16, 2011 1:05 AM

Hiya, allaboutlana...

I think you are referring to Craig Stevens and his beautiful wife Alexis Smith. They were married from June 18, 1944 to June 9, 1993, when she died of cancer... almost exactly 49 years.

Cheers,

Dan

Do you know me?

Before starting in films, I had considerable Broadway plays on my resume. Eventually I went to Hollywood and began a string of movies as a character actor, averaging more than two films a year.

One of the more curious facts about my stay in Hollywood was my home address, which I was told made me nearly unique.

I won an Academy Award and was nominated for it two other times. In the movies, I played both good guys and bad guys. Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan