Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

No, I'm not Walter Huston.

When I put together this list of clues, I was aware that most of them could apply to more than one individual, and that's why I included the line about my home address. It would apply to very few, if any, movie actors.

There are probably a lot of actors who began on Broadway, before making their way to Hollywood.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

As I'm pretty sure that's correct, I want to go ahead and post this now, if it's alright, dan:

{font:Times New Roman}In Doug McClelland’s biography of this actress, he supplies this scene from "The Odd Couple" with Matthau and Lemmon, in which Walter is cooking, in order to make a point about the actress: {font}

Felix: "Can't you keep it warm?"

Oscar: "Who the hell do you think I am, the Magic Chef? I'm lucky I got it to come out at eight o'clock. Wh-wh-what am I gonna do?"

Felix: "I dunno, keep pouring gravy on it".

Oscar: "Gravy? What gravy?"

Felix: "Don't you have any gravy?"

Oscar: "I thought it comes when you cook the meat....Where the hell am I gonna get gravy at eight o'clock?"

Felix: "Comes when you cook the meat....You don't know what you're talking about, Oscar. You just don't know, because you have to MAKE gravy, it doesn't come!"

{font:Times New Roman}

The author was saying that this actress made the gravy. The script doesn’t come with the gravy. She took every role and made each one definable and her own and Americans have never been able to really pin this actress down, because she was always different in every movie she made. She could be a sweet and innocent girl, or a sexy temptress, or a manipulative society woman, or a hardened by life gal, or someone who controls others in passive ways. There are too many more to mention, but this actress was one of those masters of her craft that you knew when you were watching her, she knew what she was doing and was in control of every movement. Everything was deliberate. She supplied the gravy. Despite all this, she never won an Oscar. Do you know her?

{font}

Hint: She's been called the woman of a thousand faces, which is the title of her bio, by Doug McClelland.

{font:Times New Roman}(I will give concrete clues, as needed.) {font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jun 17, 2011 2:57 PM

Yes, it's Eleanor Parker. I don't understand why allaboutlana jumped in front of me, to ask her new question before I confirmed her answer to my my previous one. Guess she's just anxious. Anyway, you came up with the correct answer to her query, so I guess the thread is YOURS.

Cheers,

Dan

I usually do wait for confirmation and don't usually skip ahead, but as TCM was showing Eleanor Parker's films today, today was the perfect time to share that, and I've been wanting to share it for some time now. I don't know why they are showing her films today instead of later for her birthday, or at least closer to it (6/26.) Finance, it is your turn and thanks for playing!

I trained at the Actors' Studio, but did not have a very fruitful film career. Probably my two-best known roles were in a film directed by Mankiewicz, and in a classic '50s science fiction film. It was in television that I was omnipresent, making many, many guest appearances in scores of series from the '50s through '80s. I only had a regular role in one series, whose star had a famous ancestor.

Hint: I was mentioned recently on one of the discussion threads above.

Edited by: finance on Jun 20, 2011 3:40 PM

Another hint: I was in a film that was shown on TCM within the last several days.

Edited by: finance on Jun 21, 2011 6:26 PM

{font:Calibri}Thanks.

"My love for acting started at an early age. I was the daughter of vaudevillians, who lived for the show. I was put in the act, when I was 2. I had an interest in being a pianist in college, but pretty soon I was in stock companies, which led to big and better things. Starting in 1948, I acted in the movies steadily right up to my death in 2001. From 48 to 58, I was seen many times in uncredited appearances in films, but I can always be spotted with no trouble. Some of my most notable films I appeared uncredited were with Errol Flynn, Kirk Douglas, Gene Kelly, and Stewart Granger. Wow! What I wouldn’t do, if they looked my way! A good friend gave me work in several of his comedies of the 1960s. As I became more popular, I made more and more tv work and films, and ultimately, in my later years, I was everywhere. I supplied my voice to many projects, including a popular tv show of the 1990s, to a character that was never seen. One of my last projects was the first entry in a famous animated movie series. I am mainly found in material of a lighter nature, because I enjoy life and like to make people laugh. Maybe you know me now? I know you’ll know me, if you saw me. I have that kind of personality."{font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jun 23, 2011 8:53 AM

{font:Calibri}"My love for acting started at an early age. I was the daughter of vaudevillians, who lived for the show. I was put in the act, when I was 2. I had an interest in being a pianist in college, but pretty soon I was in stock companies, which led to big and better things. Starting in 1948, I acted in the movies steadily right up to my death in 2001. From 48 to 58, I was seen many times in uncredited appearances in films, but I can always be spotted with no trouble. 1952 was a good year for me, as I appeared in a very famous Gene Kelly film, and a notable Vincente Minnelli film. I worked with Jerry Lewis a lot in the 1960s. As I became more popular, I made more and more tv work and films, and ultimately, in my later years, I was everywhere. I supplied my voice to many projects, including a popular tv show of the 1990s, to a character that was never seen. One of my last projects was the first entry in a famous animated movie series, and I was in the third and last installment of another comedy film franchise. I am mainly found in material of a lighter nature, because I enjoy life and like to make people laugh. Maybe you know me now? I know you’ll know me, if you saw me. I have that kind of personality."

Any guesses?{font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jun 24, 2011 9:39 AM

Yes, I was the voice teacher in Singing' in the Rain, and was in Minnelli's The Bad and the Beautiful in 1952. I was Peg Bundy's mama on Married with Children, and appeared in the first Shrek and the last Naked Gun film. Your turn.

Do you know me?

I was a film actor who, like many others, began his career on the stage. Unlike the others, though, I turned down several offers to come to Hollywood and make films. One of the offers was made by a very prominent actor/producer.

When I eventually did begin in films, the first movie was a big hit. I had the same female co-star in more than half my films. We had such good chemistry, some people got the idea that we were married to each other, but we were just good friends and fellow actors.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No, I'm not Nelson Eddy.

You were probably thinking of his films with Jeanette MacDonald. Yes, they had a close friendship and did several films together... but more than half? No. Jeanette and Nelson appeared together in only eight (8) movies... if you can call eight movies "only." But Nelson Eddy was in 22 films, total.

The lady I referred to in my question was in more than half of my films.

New clue: The famous actor/producer who offered me a chance in movies was one of the greats of the silent screen, and made more than 100 films. But I still turned him down.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

According to his IMDb bio, Charles Farrell appeared in 49 films, not counting his redoubtable career in television late in life.

If you are asking if I am Charlie Farrell because of his multiple appearances with Janet Gaynor, that would be a nice guess... but incorrect because they only appeared together in twelve (12) films, including one in which they had cameos as themselves.

So no, I am not Charlie Farrell. To tell the truth, even if I were he, I would be obliged to mention "my" incredibly long career on television.

In the mid-1950s, Charlie appeared in ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-SIX (126) episodes of his sitcom with Gale Storm, "My Little Margie." Since he played father to Gale's Margie, there is no way that anyone would think she was his wife in real life.

Okay, I owe you another hint.

Do you know me? I was a film actor who, like many others, began his career on the stage. Unlike the others, though, I turned down several offers to come to Hollywood and make films. One of the offers was made by a very prominent actor/producer, who made over 100 films. I turned him down anyway.

When I eventually did begin in films, the first movie was a big hit. I had the same female co-star in more than half my films. We had such good chemistry, some people got the idea that we were married to each other, but we were just good friends and fellow actors.

New clue: My mother was a teenager when I was born.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Bumping this one, 'cause it's too good to let it go....

Do you know me? I was a film actor who, like many others, began his career on the stage. Unlike the others, though, I turned down several offers to come to Hollywood and make films. One of the offers was made by a very prominent actor/producer, who made over 100 films. I turned him down anyway.

Nelson Eddy and Charles Farrell have already been guessed at, but I'm not either one of those fellows.

Okay, here is a brand new clue: More than one source has compared the actress that I was in so many movies with, to Margaret Dumont, the Marx Brothers' famous foil.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No, not Percy Kilbride... but that was a pretty good guess, 'cause ol' Percy developed his craft on the stage before coming to Hollywood, just as I did.

Here's a new clue:

Though I was predominantly known as an actor, I also sang and danced in my films.

The rest of the question:

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}

When I eventually did begin in films, my first movie was a big hit. I had the same female co-star in more than half my films. We had such good chemistry, some people got the idea that we were married to each other, but we were just good friends and fellow actors.

Nelson Eddy and Charles Farrell have already been guessed at, but I'm not either one of those fellows.

Okay, here is a brand new clue: More than one source has compared the actress that I was in so many movies with, to Margaret Dumont, the Marx Brothers' famous foil.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

{font}