Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allaboutlana

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

You know what? I consider this question ideal for this forum. So, I'm not giving up. I will keep giving you more worthless clues until somebody comes up with a good guess.

Do you know me? I was a film actor who, like many others, began his career on the stage. Unlike the others, though, I turned down several offers to come to Hollywood and make films. One of the offers was made by a very prominent actor/producer, who made over 100 films. I turned him down anyway.

When I eventually did begin in films, my first movie was a big hit. I had the same female co-star in more than half my films. We had such good chemistry, some people got the idea that we were married to each other, but we were just good friends and fellow actors.

New clue: My mother was a teenager when I was born.

Nelson Eddy, Charles Farrell, and Percy Kilbride have already been guessed at, but I'm not any of those fellows.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}Though I was predominantly known as an actor, I also sang and danced in my films.

{font}

More than one source has compared the actress that I was in so many movies with, to Margaret Dumont, the Marx Brothers' famous foil.

New clue: Although my nearly perennial co-star has been compared to Margaret Dumont, my co-star was much younger than Ms. Dumont.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

{font:Calibri}"I was born in 1921 in Hollywood. I was certain to follow my dad’s footsteps and become an actor. But I never made a name for myself. I made only 12 films, in which I was given screen credit, another ten I appeared uncredited. My dad was a fast talker in movies and starred in an Oscar-winning picture. My biggest claim to fame was my appearance in a film, that was a financial bomb at the time, but today is one of the great family films. My dad and I worked in television together and after my acting career, I owned a theater in Mexico. Do you know me and my dad?"{font}

{font:Calibri}"I was born in 1921 in Hollywood. I was certain to follow my dad’s footsteps and become an actor. But I never made a name for myself. I made only 12 films, in which I was given screen credit, another ten I appeared uncredited. My dad was a fast talker in movies and starred in an Oscar-winning picture, which claimed a first in Oscar history. My biggest claim to fame was my appearance in a film, that was a financial bomb at the time, but today is one of the great family films and is seen every Christmas. My dad and I worked in television together and after my acting career, I owned a theater in Mexico. Do you know me and my dad?"{font}

Any guesses?

{font:Calibri}"I was born in 1921 in Hollywood. I was certain to follow my dad’s footsteps and become an actor. But I never made a name for myself. I made only 12 films, in which I was given screen credit, another ten I appeared uncredited. My dad was a fast talker in movies and starred in an Oscar-winning picture, which was the first picture to win in all the major categories. My biggest claim to fame was my appearance in a film, that was a financial bomb at the time, but today is one of the great family films and is seen every Christmas, in which I told my brother he was very rich. My dad and I worked in television together and after my acting career, I owned a theater in Mexico. Do you know me and my dad?"{font}

Any guesses at all?

Lana, I'll give you credit for persistence, and it finally paid off. The actor is Todd Karns, the son of Roscoe Karns. Todd played Harry Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life". Roscoe played Oscar Shapely in "It Happened One Night". In the sixties, Roscoe was on the "Hennessey" TV series with Jackie Cooper.

Thanks. Do you know me? I was a child actor in the thirties and early forties, often playing the star as a boy. I was in a light-hearted crime movie in the late thirties where I got to do my impersonation of Donald Duck. I was in several westerns and became a very skilled horseman. As an adolescent in the late forties, I worked with Gene Autry in a picture. He took a liking to me and put me in several of his movies over the next few years. I was also a frequent actor on his TV series in the early fifties. Eventually, Gene produced other shows, and I got to co-star in a western series with a former stuntman, who became Sally Fields' step-father. After a few years, I got my own series where I played the son of a legendary western figure. In my TV work, I did almost all of my own stunts. Do you know me?

Yes, Dickie Jones as a child, Dick Jones as a young adult, was in "Nancy Drew, Reporter" with Bonita Granville. That's where he did his Donald Duck voice. He co-starred in "The Range Rider" with Jack, later Jock, Mahoney. Mahoney, who married actress Maggie Field, sometimes called him Dickie on the show. His later series was "Buffalo Bill, Jr." for Gene Autry's production company. Good work, Lana. It's your turn now.

{font:Calibri}Here's one:

"I was born in 1902 in what is now Austria. My name may sound vaguely familiar to some, but most people probably never have heard of me, despite my appearances in films with Errol Flynn, Gary Cooper, Merle Oberon, Hedy Lamarr, and Ray Milland during my most active years of 1938 to 1948. I was seen most often in espionage/suspense films cast as officers, but I can be found also in musical comedies, or in dramas, one made with Susan Hayward. I made tv appearances from the 1950s on and thereafter it was the bulk of my income. A unique piece of trivia about me is that, like Charles Lane, I, too, lived to 102. My last acting appearance was in the 1980s tv adaptation of Errol Flynn’s "Wicked Ways." Do you know me?"{font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 25, 2011 3:39 PM

I began in films in 1915 as an assistant to a famous European director, and began to direct my own films in 1920. I joined MGM in the mid-'20s and became one of their top directors. From 1947 on, I produced my films, and after retiring from films in the '50s, became a successful businessman..

{font:Times New Roman}Thanks.

"My first film I made at the age of 42 and my movie career only lasted 10 years, but I worked with some of the best in the business. I was paired several times with Linda Darnell. Do you know me?"{font}

"My father was a stern disciplinarian to me & my half-brother while growing up. I loved sports & got an athletic scholarship after graduating from high school. While in college, my mother died. As a result, I quit school and, broke & homeless, bummed around Europe as a starving artist. The money from my paintings I'd sold at an exhibition gave me enough to come back to the States. I ended up in NYC, still wanting to be an artist. I found myself in an acting class at a prestigious theatre arts school because I'd decided to become a theatrical set designer. Surprisingly & totally inadvertently, I discovered I liked pretending to be other people & got the acting bug. I became a professional actor, quickly getting acting jobs on broadway & on tv. I made my debut in feature films in the early 60's & by the early 70's, I had become the biggest movie star in the world."

To pturman: The right to ask the question belongs to the person who answered the previous question correctly, which, in this case, is yours truly, not you. Thanks....On the other thread, cujas gets the next question, not you.