Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

allaboutlana

I had a long career, beginning in silents. I had a regular role on a hit TV series and was making movies to the very end.

I have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and have been honored with a US postage stamp bearing my likeness.

Married twice, I had a daughter with my first husband and we also adopted the orphaned son of one of my good friends, an actress who died young.

Who am I?

Thanks.

?I first appeared in films in 1952 and appeared mostly in supporting roles. My real life drama and my extravagant lifestyle have made me an international star and I still make headlines today. When people hear my name, they know who I am. I have lived through nine marriages and still going strong. I?m a survivor, darling. I?ve earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and received a Golden Globe just for being me. ?

?I know you know me. Who doesn?t??

Thanx, Lana.

"I was the female dancing partner of a close relative on Broadway. We were very good, but my male partner went on to the Hollywood musicals without me. I wanted to settle down and have children. Anyway he made musicals with the top Movie Stars. People would have characterized him as a Tap Dancer. He was seen on TV as well. However, he was successful in many endeavors and became quite well-known in the entire nation."

"Can you name me and my Dancing Partner/Relative?"

Edited by: cujas on Jul 20, 2010 4:23 PM

Oh Poinciana--I didn't think anybody would get it this fast. You are really good! I was still waiting for somebody to give me Buddy Ebsen's sister--Vilma. All I can say is, you're a girl who is right on target!

Poinciana--take it away!

Sometimes lightning just hits! Thanks so much for the compliments, much appreciated. BTW, a long time ago I was sitting at a lunch counter in Whittier, CA (I was abt 9) and the waitress whispered to me that I was "sitting next to a very famous person." It turned out to be George Murphy and he was very nice and signed the inside of a matchbook cover for me.

Next:

I was booted out of the New York Social Register for becoming an actress, actually I think even such a radical thought was grounds for dismissal. Anyway, I'm proud of my heritage. I am the four times great grandaughter of a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

I did Broadway and movies, having been signed by Universal in the 1930's. I have a wholesome beauty (it was kindly said) and was almost never considered for femme fatale roles which I would have relished. I had my biggest success on television.

Who am I?

Thanks.

I was a Canadian who had appeared in many Broadway plays by the time I began my Hollywood career in the early '30s. I played character roles in more than 200 films, often as a corrupt politician or businessman or a suave villain. On TV, I was seen regularly in a classic '50s comedy, and another series. When I was already a senior citizen, I married the under-30 daughter of an actor friend.

Edited by: finance on Jul 22, 2010 2:23 PM

This actor had starred in productions on the stage, in films and TV. He had an unhappy childhood.

An alcoholic father that died when the actor was young and he had an overly stern mother. His co-workers at an aircraft company heard him sing and encouraged him to become a professional. The rest is Hollywood history. Who was he?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jul 26, 2010 12:29 PM

Hey, when you're on the TCM message boards, you're playing with the big kids now. Actually, I just remembered reading once that Howard Keel had worked in an aircraft plant at one time, so I took a shot at it. Here's one off the top of my head. I was a silent screen comedienne who did a lot of work with Mack Sennett. As I got older and sound films came in, I adjusted to playing character parts in comedies and musicals. I was under contract to Warner Bros. for a number of years in the thirties. I married a producer and when I found out that he was having an affair with a younger actress, I threatened to ruin him financially. He called off the affair and the young actress's career went down hill slowly. He acquired a new nickname as the result of my threat. Do you know me?

Archived