Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

allaboutlana

Lana, we must be thinking alike lately. Maybe it's ESP! Louise Fazenda is correct. After her silent screen days were over, she had a very nice career as a character actress at Warner Bros. in the thirties. She was very good in "The Broadway Gondolier" with Dick Powell and Joan Blondell. She was married to Hal Wallis, who was Warner's top producer. He was having an affair with Lola Lane. When Louise found out and threatened to ruin him, he called off the affair. After that, at least in Hollywood circles, he was known as "the prisoner of Fazenda". Lana, it's your turn now.

Thanks.

?I was born in New York City, very fitting and ironic. Oh, but you?ll see. I spent my childhood though in private schools throughout Europe, as my father was a bank vice-president and went where he was needed. I came back to the great U.S. of A. and my hometown at 15 and eventually attended Sarah Lawrence College. But, my heart was in show business and it wasn?t long before I was in summer stock. And, soon after, I was the talk of the town on Broadway and knocking them dead. I won rave reviews on Broadway in a hit play and when it was brought to the big screen, I was the only one from the Broadway play to be in the movie, where I made my movie debut. I made only 14 films in my movie career. But if you?ve seen me once, you know me. I had a successful and prolific television career, too. I was so popular at the time of my movie debut, I even hosted my own tv show. I?m glad I was able to give people a laugh or two, when I could, because I would be diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Despite it slowing me down as best it could, I continued to work and even signed on to a new tv show in the 1960s. During the second season, the cancer took me from what I love best, entertaining people. My role was recast, but most people say my successor was nowhere as good as me, and I was the first person on the show to be honored with a posthumous Emmy award for my work on the show. But most people knew at the time it wasn?t for just a tv show, but for my love and dedication to acting, for being unashamedly myself, and for knowing what matters, the people who are watching.?

?Do you know me??

I was a tall, dashing silent screen matinee idol, who starred in several social comedies. I was so popular in the '20s that my wedding to another silent screen star was made into a Hollywood spectacular, supervised by a famous producer who had discovered me. I was also successful in talkies, playing leading, then supporting roles through the early '40s. Then I became a real estate broker.

Edited by: finance on Jul 28, 2010 10:54 AM

Edited by: finance on Jul 28, 2010 3:28 PM

Thanks. I won a beauty contest in Texas in my teens. My sister sent my picture into a contest where first prize was a screen test at a Hollywood studio. Yes, it really happened that way. I won that contest and got signed by Paramount. I was given a lot of bit parts that called for a pretty girl. After two years, I left and went to another studio where they gave me a big publicity build-up and put me in movies opposite their top leading men. I became one of their top leading ladies, although I was given a nickname that I detested. I did dramas, comedies and an occasional musical. I had quite a nice singing voice. Once I got into my late thirties, the good roles stopped coming. I went into TV work on a soap opera and later starred in a western series. However, I developed cancer and passed away before the end of the show's first season. I was only fifty-one. Do you know me?

Yes, it's Ann Sheridan. I failed to mention that she was also one of the top pin-up queens of World War II, along with Betty Grable, Rita Hayworth, and Lynn Bari. The soap opera was "Another World", and the western series was "Pistols N' Petticoats". Good job, Lana. Your turn now.

Thanks.

?I was born in New Orleans in 1926. I had an early interest in acting and eventually found fame as an actor in mainly westerns and action-oriented films. But, I have the unique honor of portraying one of our most inspirational men ever, even though I was somewhat picked on by appearing too young for the role. I was interested in tv, I thought, so I agreed to do the pilot for a new show, but then at the last minute I backed out of the show altogether, wanting to concentrate on my movie career. Bad mistake! I did try to get on a new family situation comedy, but I was declined because they thought I was too good looking to be believeable to be an average working-class father and husband.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Jul 30, 2010 7:34 PM

I have a street named after me in Beverly Hills. That's because I was fortunate enough to have a career as a builder (after my film days)...in Beverly Hills.

I was born in Montana which was fortuitous because I made my living as an actor playing supporting parts and co-starring in Westerns. I did make forays into comedy in the 1930's also. If I say so myself, I wasn't half bad. My time at the Pasadena Playhouse served me well.

Who am I?

I'm not George, but I'm as tall, 6'2".

I co-starred twice with an actress who was much beloved for her portrayals of working class girls, but probably better known for her fancy foot work. I also played opposite an actress who later became probably the best loved actress in history in her first starring role.

Thanks.

?One might say I?m the most recognized yet unappreciated actor in Hollywood. Born August 2, 1932 in Ireland, I first wanted to be a journalist. But the theater beckoned and the rest they say is history. My first appearance in films was in 1960. I was the recipient of a lifetime award from the Academy in 2003, but I was still acting, still going, then. And, I?m still going now. Take that, Richard!?

?Do you know me??

?Yes, I am Peter O?Toole. By the way, the Richard I made reference to is Richard Burton, who also was nominated many times for an Oscar but never won. Unfortunately, me only more so. But I am still making movies, so it still may happen.?

Your turn.

I am a tough guy. Well, I look like a tough guy which was why I was usually cast as a cop or a heavy. I'm a square-jawed, throaty-voiced, brick-built solid guy.

Among my films are two very well-regarded noirs. I also starred in a short-lived television series as the character that Bogart made immortal.

I do have a star on the Walk of Fame, proud of that. Who am I?

Archived