Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

Born in NYC, I was a stage veteran when I entered films in the late '30s and went on to play character parts, both nice guys and heels, both comic and dramatic in many well-known films, supporting Cagney, Cooper, Bogart, and Stewart, among others. My best film roles were at WB in the '40s. I was also well-known as a neighbor in a long-running TV sitcom.

More often than not, I was a villain--- which was not unusual since I was once an inmate at San Quentin

before I became a character actor. Some of the guards and inmates even recognized me when I came back to shoot a film there...sort of like a reunion..One of the directors I worked with once remarked I was one of the scariest fellow he ever saw. However, I also had other talents, including writing a screenplay for a first rate WWII movie...Who am I ?

Edited by: mudskipper on Aug 17, 2010 3:11 PM

Thanks.

?I changed my name in honor of my favorite actress and had dreams of being an actress, too. Born in Wisconsin, I would toil in about 25 films in bit parts for a couple of years uncredited until I finally found some fame. I was in couple of musicals and a few mysteries, some of which emphasized comedy. But I had a troubled life and after having a brief time in the spotlight, and after five marriages, I died in 1948.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Aug 18, 2010 9:08 AM

I am the son of a southern belle and a bandleader. I was active in high school dramatics before going to Hollywood in the late '50s. I showed promise in my first few films, but despite my good looks, my career did not blossom. I made a comeback in a popular late-'70s film. I was also involved in a business which took advantage of my unique appearance. My ex-wife later married a rock star.

Edited by: finance on Aug 19, 2010 10:56 AM

Thanks Finance.

I was born in Cedartown, Georgia in 1905 and attended Georgia Military Academy where I took part in school stage productions. I was pretty much relegated to comic roles not only because I could do them well, but because of my offbeat, dare I say yes I will because there's no question about it, funny looks.

Also, the acting bug came naturally as one of my ancestors was Lady Penelope Boothby, an English actress whose portrait was painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds.

In my later years I was conferred "legend" status. Who am I?

Thanks.

?I was an actor from 1953 to 1963, but found more success in writing for tv and movies, due to my wife, who was an actor too. Due to her persistence and help in selling me and my talents, I would be a big name in tv, known today for creating hit shows.?

Edited by: allaboutlana on Aug 19, 2010 9:08 PM

I was the ideal WWII homefront wife. Compared often to Dorothy McGuire, I actually understudied Dorothy in the stage production of "Claudia." I had a very nice career playing wholesome women, which wasn't a stretch because I'd like to think that's who I am.

My first marriage was to a British actor with whom I have a daughter who is an actress. The marriage lasted many years but ended in divorce. My second marriage was very successful and we retired to Maine where I have been a volunteer for local causes.

I'm grateful for the opportunity of having worked with some of Hollywood's most luminous players. I also enjoyed making a sweet very funny movie in the 1960's playing a single mother. The director of that movie would go on to huge accolades in his later films.

Who am I?

I loved being cast in a 1948 very well-received 1948 film noir. I played the ever loyal wife again but so nice being in a film with two major male stars.

I was born in Maine and I'm proud to say my father was a Maine Supreme Court Justice. My mother had a brief career as a Shakespearean actress. I began playing ingenue roles on the New York stage at 17. And yes, I did understudy Dorothy in Claudia and tried for the role in the movie, but lost out to her.