Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me? II: 1900 - 1970

I was on stage from the mid-'20s, and was a well-known Broadway actor by the time of my screen debut in the mid to late '30s. I was tall and husky, playing strong character roles, often as menacing villains. I served one term in California legislature in the '40s. In the '60s I was busier on the stage, as an actor and director, and lectured at colleges. My death was believed to be a suicide.

Edited by: finance on Aug 23, 2010 10:48 AM

Thanks, Fi.

I was born in Louisiana, the son of a traveling salesman who moved all over the country and who finally settled in LA. I tried to follow in my father's footsteps, but turned into acting in the forties. I was initially in two musicals and a serial. Later, I was given the role of sidekick to a singing cowboy, and thus started my career in westerns..I even had my own comic book series...By the mid fifties, however, my career went downhill. I turned to the bottle. I was also noted for my frequent marriages---some say as much as ten times..Later, I became sort of an evangelist...Who am I ?

I was a doctor's daughter who was a fresh-faced, engaging, leading lady of '50s films. I participated in college dramatics before being signed by Paramount for my film debut in the late '40s, and before long recieved an Oscar nomination. I was teamed a few times with the same leading man. I retired from films in the mid-'50s but returned in the '60s for occasional character roles. I was married to a well-known songwriter, and later to a record industry executive.

Edited by: finance on Aug 30, 2010 3:08 PM

Thanks Finance.

Looking back, I don't feel I had a choice. For a fat, struggling kid like me, the only way out was to be someone else -- an actor. This is me in a nutshell. I decided early on that the actor's life was for me.

I studied at the Actor's Studio briefly, would you believe Marlon would crash at my apartment from time to time. How about this - in one year I was nominated for an Emmy, an Oscar, and a Tony! Very proud of that.

I love to go dancing which matched up perfectly with my long-lasting affair with a Broadway luminary. It's said my speaking voice soothes the savage breast.

Who am I?

Hey Kids, I'm a girl! I was born in upstate New York and, God bless 'em, they named a theater there after me.

I've had my share of good roles in the movies, but the theater is my first love. I guess because I never got over my stage fright, always anxious in my dressing room, I became a heavy drinker. But I NEVER went on stage drunk.

I was in a wonderful sentimental tv movie which was so good that it's still aired today on premium channels. Got me now?

I was on stage while still a toddler, went to Hollywood in the late '20s, and then joined a small studio, acting in and directing comedy shorts. From the late '30s through the early '70s, I directed many feature films for various studios. Specializing first in comedy and later in action/adventure films, I was known for technical efficiency and visual polish. In the '40s, I directed 4 films featuring a particular character, and late in my career, I directed 4 films with a particular male star.

Edited by: finance on Sep 3, 2010 10:53 AM

Edited by: finance on Sep 3, 2010 3:29 PM

Thanks.

?Although I was born in Mississippi, my family moved a lot due to my father?s business. We eventually settled in Louisiana. I went to school at Louisiana State and also Northwestern and studied drama, appearing in college plays. After that, I found some radio work with a little modeling on the side. I was discovered, you might say and given a spot on a tv show, which led to bigger and better things, namely a contract with Universal. But although I was given roles in crime dramas and wartime stories, during the years of 1949 and 1950, I married in 1951 and settled down in Oklahoma, where I still am today. I have been honored for my community service and I have had the pleasure of having a big family. I may have been forgotten by most people, since I left Hollywood behind after making only nine movies in two years. There is one movie though that is shown on TCM from time to time in which I was prominently shown and for which most movie lovers will know me.?

?Do you know me??