Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stranger on the 3rd Floor

Is this a new way to sneakily market one's way around Amazon policies? May be. "Made On Demand" instead of "copied from TV broadcast" sounds more Warner-esque, I suppose, and is truly a just dessert to studios who've embraced this MOD choice with their incredibly high prices.

I did a quick search of London, Barcelona and Berlin libraries, and couldn't find an old Region-2 release of this title. That, coupled with a LoveFilm search showed there wasn't a new release either, so I assume "no commercial DVD release ever existed" - meaning this is a copied-from-TV-broadcast product.

Of course, if this is all that's available, then the base question remains "Is it worth it?" For a network of TCM fans, there are always alternatives among friends.

There is a Spanish release of it, for some reason it was not compatible on my DVD player ..Ive waited forever for a Warner Archive of it...

Its one of a few movies Ive waited forever for Warner to release actually

Is this thread mainly about the availability of *Stranger on the 3rd Floor* ? Or is it ok to talk about the movie itself? I 'm probably one of the least knowledgeable people on these boards when it comes to DVD releases, cable stations, downloading films, etc,. so can't contribute to that discussion.

But I'd like to comment on the film.

I consider this to be in many ways the first "noir". (Guess I'm not alone in that opinion.) The hero's suppressed guilt vis-a-vis the sentencing on the man he helped to convict, his internalizing the fear and confusion a wrongly-accused person must feel, are fascinating to watch. Some might consider the dream sequence campy, but I was enthralled.

Peter Lorre gives, as usual, a complex performance (complex considering how little screen time he has) somewhat akin to his work in *M* .How he can render a proven murderer sympathetic is something only he would know, but it seems to have been one of his specialties.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 13, 2010 11:02 AM

"Stranger on the Third Floor is the first true film noir...." - Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style (Silver & Ward, eds)(3rd ed., 1992) at p. 269

"Our starting point is 1940 and the movie usually agreed to be the first film noir: Stranger on the Third Floor." - Film Noir (Eddie Robson, 2005) at p. 7

"Although many critics cite RKO's *Stranger on the Third Floor* (1940) as the first true film noir...." - Death on the Cheap: The Lost B Movies of Film Noir! (Arthur Lyons, 2000) at p. 35

Generally, the argument over whether it's "first" is over whether there was one earlier, which is really an argument over the definition of film noir.

Oh no, let's not get into all that again. It's a testament to the complexity and range of film noir that since I've been posting here on this site (since April of this year) I must have seen at least 3 different discussions of what constitutes "film noir". More than any other film genre (and even calling it a "genre" can lead to debate) film noir invites endless conversations about its definition. Still, maybe that's why those who are fans love it so - it is complex, and endlessly interesting.

*and anything that has a shapely woman in a dress that "looks like it was poured over her"*

So by this definition, does that make 30s sirens like Jean Harlow stars of noir after noir? :-)

Sure, why not? Also, it must be a noir if the scenes include rain-soaked streets, especially if it's at night. (Guess this must mean that any movie with rain in it made before 1940 must be a noir without knowing it. ) !

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 15, 2010 9:44 PM

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I must have seen at least 3 different discussions of what constitutes "film noir".

>

> Anything in which the hero wears a fedora and says "baby" a lot.

I'll take Dan Duryea for $400 Alex! :)

Yeah, why is that? What's the matter with us noir fans, why can't we stay focussed and get things done, dammit!

Well, I've no objection to going back to *Strangers on the Third Floor*. To begin, I'll note that while fedora hats abound, there are no slinky black gowns, the femme is definitely not fatale, and I can't recall any rain. Jean Harlow is not in it, I'm pretty sure of that.

(finance, I deliberately put a mistake in this post. If you can see it and correct it, I'll use my newly acquired pic import skills and send you a photo of Ava Gardner in black. Or Jean Harlow, your choice.)

misswonderly wondered:

*-I'm not talking about grammar, spelling, syntax etc. I'm thinking of a film knowledge related mistake. Very small, very simple. (hint -read the title of the film again)*

Since in your previous post you mentioned you majored in English, the mistakes in grammar, etc, would logically seem to be what you meant. :-)

Edited by: Arturo on Jul 16, 2010 2:47 PM

If the movies are to be believed, it rains all the time in L.A. Of course, there is some precipitation in reality. But it is, overall, a dry climate, isn't it. And you're right. It's always at night.

I thought finance and others would immediately spot the mistake, which was simply the title of the film. It is called *Stranger on the Third Floor*. "Stranger", not "strangerS". I only did this as a joke because he always seems to notice such errors.

I don't usually quote myself, but this was the post in question:

"Well, I've no objection to going back to Strangers on the Third Floor. To begin, I'll note that while fedora hats abound, there are no slinky black gowns, the femme is definitely not fatale, and I can't recall any rain. Jean Harlow is not in it, I'm pretty sure of that.

(finance, I deliberately put a mistake in this post. If you can see it and correct it, I'll use my newly acquired pic import skills and send you a photo of Ava Gardner in black. Or Jean Harlow, your choice.) "

I assumed he'd spot the error in the title right away. I only mentioned the English major thing when I figured he was looking for that sort of error, instead of the error in the film title.

While I did major in English, I will be the first to admit that my posts are not always perfect or correct in terms of spelling, grammar, and syntax. Occasionally the spelling "mistake "may be just because I spell something the older Canadian way (although most Canadians spell the same as Americans do now.)

I do regard this site as a place to "chat", write a bit about movies and music etc., and "goof around' a little. I write them fairly quickly, and certainly don't take the kind of care with them as I would with an essay or other academic piece of writing. Often the "sentence" I write may be a non-sentence, in terms of structure and so forth. But (there I go -I began a sentence with the word "but", acceptable only under certain circumstances) I don't worry too much about how correct the language is, otherwise I'd be worrying too much about that and not having fun. I do acknowledge how well-written many posts on this site are, including yours'. There are a lot of smart people on these boards !

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 16, 2010 11:42 PM

Ava%20Gardner.jpg

"Did someone say something about a deserted island?"

right you are.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 16, 2010 11:36 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 16, 2010 11:38 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 17, 2010 12:08 AM