Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Films / Silent Sundays on TCM

I was wondering how many silent film fans, or at least people with an interest in them, are on the board. As you probably know, TCM has their Silent Sundays where they show a silent after the regular broadcast schedule. This past Sunday, July 11th, they showed the Harold Lloyd classic *Speedy* (1928) in prime time as part of their Essential Jr. series and followed it with *Coney Island*, a 30-minute film with Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle and Buster Keaton from 1917. Harold Lloyd is one of my favorite stars of all-time and it was nice to see TCM giving him more screen time. I never cared much for Fatty Arbuckle; I just never got into his character. Buster Keaton's work though, like Lloyd's, is almost all classics and you can't go wrong with most of his movies.

Who else likes the good old silents? Who are your favorite stars of that era and your favorite films?

I look forward to Silent Sunday since these old pix are like a whole new language. I have an interest in Russian silents since they brought a different political awareness to their pix.

AELITA

GENERAL LINE

STRIKE

OCTOBER

MOTHER

STORM OVER ASIA

BED AND SOFA

EARTH

and one I got from moma

FRAGMENT OF AN EMPIRE

in this movie a soldier gets blown up & is in a coma & when he wakes up the revolution has taken place. I'd like to see new silent versions on TCM (ussr reissued them with sound messing them up so they had to restore them all to original silent versions.

The order of my favorite Silents changes all the time. I used to always says Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN was my long time favorite. Excluding that picture, here is a tentative top 10. The first two titles here are right up at the top of the list. I could easily list allot of other films.

1. THE BIG PARADE (1925) John Gilbert, Renee Adoree. Directed by King Vidor.

2. BEAU GESTE (1926) Ronald Colman, and an All Star Cast. Directed by Herbert Brenon.

3. STREET ANGEL (1928) Janet Gaynor, Charles Farrell. Directed By Frank Borzage.

4. THE COSSACKS (1928) John Gilbert, Renee Adoree, Nils Asther, Ernest Torrence. Directed by George Hill, and Clarence Brown.

5. SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927) Gaynor, Farrell, Directed by Borzage.

6. OLD HEIDELBERG (1927) Ramon Novarro, Norma Shearer, Jean Hersholt. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch.

7. THE GODLESS GIRL (1928) Lina Basqutte, Tom Kean. Directed by Cecil B. De Mille.

8. FOUR SONS (1928) Margaret Mann, James Hall, June Collyer. (Note: Only with the original Movie-tone score.)

9. KIKI (1926) Norma Talmadge, Ronald Colman, Gertrude Astor, George K. Aurthur. Directed by Clarence Brown.

Tie: 10. TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS (1927) William Boyd, Louis Wolheim, Mary Ast6or, Ian Keith. Directed by Lewis Milestone.

10. QUALITY STREET (1927) Marion Davies, Conrad Nagle. Directed by Sydney Franklin.

in order to reply, I hit reply & it sends me to forum home. then I must hit 2 more times before I can reply!

the thing about silent movies that always gets me is how much they were representative of the countries they were from. movies were truly free then & as we know now sound caused movies to be more narrow minded. I tend to go along with Kevin Brownlow's choices & productions as my favorites.

I have "The Ragman" (1925) and "Nosferatu" (1922) I've recorded from TCM's Silent Sunday Nights. I just wish they show the version of "Nosferatu" that has a different music score, it hasn't been showned in about 3-4 years. :(

I got tired of waiting and bought Abel Gance's "Napolean" (1927) a couple of years ago and before anyone tells me about the longer restoration in the works, the one I have is l-o-n-g enough.

Just acquired "Helen's Babies" (1924) earlier this year and because its now public domain, I doubt if TCM will air it. Would like them to, TCM has a least intrusive logo than the large "Videobrary" at the bottom right. But its better than *nothing!*

Most of my knowledge of silent films comes from TCM, both by watching the silents they show and reading the posts on this board made by silent film enthusiasts. I also read Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By.

I enjoy watching the films, though I sometimes get out of the habit. I'm a big Harold Lloyd fan. I also like Lon Chaney and Mary Pickford a lot. This is mainly because at one time or another TCM has showcased a lot of their films. I've enjoyed the shorts with Fatty Arbuckle and Mabel Normand. The Gish, Chaplin and Keaton films. Occasionally I get a real treat like TCM's airing of *Lady of the Night* with Norma Shearer. It was a film I had just always assumed I would never see.

Sometimes Silent Sunday Nights seems to go through certain stars, ages ago they showed a lot of Chaney, then there was the period when they showed a lot Pickford films and not that long ago it seemed that every other Sunday was Harold Lloyd. They seem to be mixing it up a bit now. There is a lot repetition I think.

There are a number of films and stars I would like to see but also I just never know what or who I might discover by stumbling onto a Sunday night Silent. The more I see, the more I learn and that leads me to want to see more silents.

I believe next Sunday, TCM is showing *The Hunchback of Notre Dame* which is probably the 1923 version with Lon Chaney. I know there is a 1911 French version, but does anyone know if a print exists and if so, has it ever been shown on TCM?

*The Ragman* was another film I really liked but would never have known about if TCM hadn't featured it. I have also come to learn just how important the right kind of score can be. Some of the more experimental or modern musical scores can be irritating to me.

edonline,

I never heard of the 1911 version before. I doubt that it survives. Only 16 Millimeter elements exist of the 1923 version. However, this is the 2007 David Shepard restoration, and it looks better and has more footage than any version in over 60 years. However, the original road show print contained at least another reel and a half or more that has never been found.