Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overrated/Underrated Movies-The Eighties

Thanks for mentioning VICE VERSA. I am one of the few people who still thinks that it was a better movie than BIG. I think BIG was pretty over-rated overall. I am a huge Hanks fan, but I think Judge Reinhold actually was a far more believable and LIKABLE kid. Glad to see I'm not alone in this.

Three Amigos is another lemon that's just not funny. Another SNL movie BOMB is 1941

Eddie Murphy was funny in Coming To America. Some SNL movies good, most too long and bad

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Jul 27, 2010 3:07 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Jul 27, 2010 3:12 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Jul 27, 2010 3:43 PM

stumbled on this thread looking for a thread on the Fox film, Quiet Please, Murder. Will I find that thread? Who knows! ;)

Anyway, nice to see the positive comments for Ishtar(Going in thinking it's the worst film ever, you realize there could have been a good movie in there somewhere, and there are funny lines) and Radio Days, a really wonderful film.

And add me to the column of folks who didn't like Ghost Busters! Everyone seemed to love it when it came out, even my Mom, I was just scratching my head.

Was going to mention the Bill Murray Film Quick Change, but I see it came out in 1990! :(

His film Scrooged (1988) seemed to have more fans at one time...doesn't seem to run around the holidays any more.

The Money Pit (1986) starring Tom Hanks...man, he even bashed it as a terrible film, yet I thought it was quite funny...

How about Blade Runner for most overrated film? It's certainly an important work, but is it really a great film in its own right? I can't answer that definitively until repeated viewings, but I thought I'd throw it out there, because my initial impressions of that film are that it's important but overrated.

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}

> Arkadin, To Sleep with Anger came out in 1990, but I agree Down by Law and Cutter's Way weren't properly appreciated.

My VHS said 1989, but in looking up the release date, it does indeed say 1990. It's a great movie and I'm glad to find another fan here.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> How about Blade Runner for most overrated film? It's certainly an important work, but is it really a great film in its own right? I can't answer that definitively until repeated viewings, but I thought I'd throw it out there, because my initial impressions of that film are that it's important but overrated.

I thought about choosing *Blade Runner* as the most overrated and underrated film of the Eighties. It is overrated in the sense that many know of it, underrated from the perspective that few truly understand it (having four different cuts of the film certainly didn't help matters).

• 3 months later...

I know you do not like most films made after 1960, but since this thread is about the overrated / underrated films of the 1980's I have to include the films in my library that I like even though quite a few of them are overrated...... but I like them anyway:

The Abyss, James Cameron 1989

The Accused, Jonathan Kaplan 1988

Altered States, Ken Russell 1980

Batman, Tim Burton 1989

Big, Penny Marshall 1988

The Big Red One, Samuel Fuller 1980

Broadcast News, James L. Brooks 1987

Brubaker, Stuart Rosenberg 1980

Chariots of Fire, Hugh Hudson 1980

Children of a Lesser God, Randa Haines 1986

Crimes and Misdeamnors, Woody Allen 1986

Crocodile Dundee, Peter Faiman 1986

Die Hard, John McTiernan 1988

The Elephant Man, David Lynch 1980

The Empire Strikes Back, Irwin Kershner 1980

Field of Dreams, Phil Alden Robinson 1989

The French Lieutenant's Woman, Karel Reisz 1981

Full Metal Jacket, Stanley Kubrick 1987

Gardens of Stone, Francis Ford Coppola 1987

Glory, Edward Zwick 1989

Heartbreak Ridge, Clint Eastwood 1986

Hoosiers, David Anspaugh 1986

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Steven Spielberg 1989

The Last Emperor, Bernardo Bertolucci 1986

Legal Eagles, Ivan Reitman 1986

Local Hero, Bill Forsyth 1983

The Long Good Friday, John MacKenzie 1980

Midnight Run, Martin Brest 1988

Missing, Costa-Gavras 1982

Mississippi Burning, Alan Parker 1988

The Naked Gun, David Zucker 1988

The Natural, Barry Levinson 1984

Nothing in Common, Garry Marshall 1986

Ordinary People, Robert Redford 1980

Out of Africa, Sydney Pollack 1985

Power, Sidney Lumet 1986

The Presido, Peter Hyams 1988

Prizzi's Honor, John Huston 1985

Raging Bull, Martin Scorsese 1980

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Steven Spielberg 1981

The Return of the Jedi, Richard Marquand 1983

The Right Stuff, Philip Kaufman 1983

Sophie?s Choice, Alan J. Pakula 1982

Starman, John Carpenter 1984

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Nicholas Meyer 1982

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Leonard Nimoy 1984

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Leonard Nimoy 1986

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, William Shatner 1989

The Stunt Man, Richard Rush 1980

The Tall Guy, Mel Smith 1989

The Terminator, James Cameron 1984

Terms of Endearment, James L. Brooks 1982

Top Gun, Tony Scott 1986

Tough Guys Don't Dance, Norman Mailer 1987

Tootsie, Sydney Pollack 1982

2010, Peter Hyams 1984

The Untouchables, Brian De Palma 1986

The Verdict, Sidney Lumet 1982

Victor/Victoria, Blake Edwards 1982

Who Framed Roger Rabbitt, Robert Zemeckis 1988

Witness, Peter Weir 1985

• 3 years later...

Going year by year here:

(films in bold for each year are the most underrated and overrated ones)

Overrated: Altered States, American Gigolo, Friday the 13th, Popeye, Urban Cowboy

Underrated: The Big Red One, Bronco Billy, The Competition, The First Deadly Sin, The Formula, Gloria, Hopscotch, The Idolmaker, It's My Turn, The Last Metro, The Long Good Friday, The Man with Bogart's Face, The Mirror Crack'd, Resurrection, Rough Cut, Seems Like Old Times, Stardust Memories, Those Lips Those Eyes

Very underrated------USED CARS, AFTER HOURS

Overrated: An American Werewolf in London, The Cannonball Run, Dragonslayer, Escape from New York, The Evil Dead, Mad Max: The Road Warrior, Neighbors, Possession, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Reds, S.O.B., Stripes 

Underrated: Absence of Malice, All Night Long, Buddy Buddy, Cattle Annie and Little Britches, The Chosen, Cutter's Way, Eye of the Needle, Eyewitness, First Monday in October, Fort Apache the Bronx,  The Four Seasons, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Gallipoli, The Great Muppet Caper, Gregory's Girl,  Modern Romance, Mommie Dearest, Only When I Laugh, Pennies from Heaven, Prince of the City, Quest for Fire, Raggedy Man, Ragtime, Rich and Famous, Taps, They All Laughed, True Confessions, The Woman Next Door

Who are the people overrating The Cannonball Run or Neighbors, which are movies which have gotten consistently awful reviews over the past 33 years?

Overrated: The Accused, Beetlejuice, Child's Play, Dead Ringers, Die Hard, The Last Temptation of Christ, Mississippi Burning, Scrooged, Willow, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Underrated: The Accidental Tourist, Another Woman, Appointment with Death, Bat 21, Big Business, Biloxi Blues, Bird, Buster, Clara's Heart, Crossing Delancey, The Dead Pool, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Eight Men Out, Fresh Horses, Funny Farm, Gorillas in the Mist, A Handful of Dust, Little Dorrit, Madame Sousatzka, Married to the Mob, Masquerade, Memories of Me, Midnight Run, The Milagro Beanfield War, Moon Over Parador, Mr. North, A New Life, Punchline, Some Girls, Stand and Deliver, Stealing Home, Sunset, Switching Channels, Things Change, A Time of Destiny, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Vice Versa, Without a Clue

I actually haven't seen most of those movies.  I thought Willow was perfectly amusing when I saw it at 18.  I would think Midnight Run is generally considered one of the best movies of the year.  Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Eight Men Out strike me as unexceptionable, while Little Dorrit strikes me a wasted opportunity.  The Accidental Tourist strikes me as irritating and shallow.

Seems to me these lists are mostly personal opinion. The definition of "classic" is that it's likability spans generations & cultures. EVERYbody understands and enjoys classics likes THE WIZARD OF OZ and SINGIN IN THE RAIN.

These 80's titles, seem to be more "quirky" and divisive.

Didn't many of these "underrated" films receive Academy Awards? How can CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD or REDS be underrated when they were so lauded in their day? 

How can you say POPEYE is overrated? People still talk about what a stinker it was, although it may have somewhat of a cult following now.

Looking over this page's lists, I notice several excellent Woody Allen films-he definitely hit his stride in the 80's.

Also many of these "underrated" films listed are worth giving a second look, they are excellent: Comfort and Joy, The Journey of Natty Gann, Matewan, Gorillas in the Mist, The Milagro Beanfield War. But again, many too "quirky" for the mass audience.

Most of the "overrated" list are films which are good, but simply don't hold up with repeated viewings and may fail the test of time. Many of these titles I'm seeing now for the first time and I find them impressive-although I never have to see them again like The Last Temptation of Christ & Empire of the Sun.

Some of these titles you just grow out of liking. Teens seeing some of these for the first time just LOVE them, like The Breakfast Club, Beetlejuice, Poltergeist & The Lost Boys.

So, really it's just "opinion".... to say "nothing good was made after 1960" is just silly ridiculous.

I haven't seen every movie made in every year during the '80's.  And some listed, I've never heard of, let alone seen them.  So I'm afraid the only ones I can add are:  (and not chronologically)

"The Blues Brothers" (fairly rated)

"Shoot The Moon" (Underrated)

"The Dream Team" (Underrated)

"Dirty Dancing" (overrated)

"Adventures In Babysitting" (Underrated)

"Cujo" (WAY overrated!)

Sepiatone

I haven't seen every movie made in every year during the '80's.  And some listed, I've never heard of, let alone seen them.  So I'm afraid the only ones I can add are:  (and not chronologically)

"The Blues Brothers" (fairly rated)

"Shoot The Moon" (Underrated)

"The Dream Team" (Underrated)

"Dirty Dancing" (overrated)

"Adventures In Babysitting" (Underrated)

"Cujo" (WAY overrated!)

Sepiatone

everything except Blue Thunder and The Right Stuff. :)

1985- AFTER HOURS Not as well known as most of the other Scorsese films but should be. Griffin Dunne and the whole cast were great in this interesting and funny film

AFTER HOURS reminds me of DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN. Both are quintessential '80s films showing many "characters" of that decade.

I would agree with 'Sprockethole's' take on what constitutes an underrated film.  I wouldn't classify Raging Bull as underrated just because it lost the Best Picture Oscar to Ordinary People.

These are some of the films that I admire that perhaps didn't make a huge splash for one reason or another.  Some clearly were never meant to be 'big' pictures:

Mon Oncle d'Amérique (1980)

Alligator (1980)

Prince of the City (1981)

Coup de Torchon (1981)

Modern Romance (1981)

Theshold (1981)

Tempest (1982)

Koyaanisqatsi (1983)

Star 80 (1983)

The Makioka Sisters (1983)

Under the Volcano (1984)

The Times of Harvey Milk (1984)

Champions (1984)

Colonel Redl (1985)

After Hours (1985)

Insignificance (1985)

Jean de Florette (1986)

Manon of the Spring (1986)

Sid and Nancy (1986)

Down by Law (1986)

Barfly (1987)

Pelle the Conqueror (1987)

Red Sorghum (1987)

The Bear (1988)

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)

Eight Men Out (1988)

The Milagro Beanfield War (1988)

Dead Calm (1988)

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)

Little Dorrit (1988)

..to name but a few

To put things in context, I was anywhere between 9 and 19 years of age during the 80's, so my choices might reflect that.

Underrated:  Continental Divide, Bad Boys (but disturbing), Max Dugan Returns, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Tender Mercies, The Flamingo Kid, Harry and Son, Muppets Take Manhattan, A Soldier's Story, Teachers, Journey of Natty Gann, Murphy's Romance, Visionquest, Lucas, Robocop, Biloxi Blues, Fat Man and Little Boy, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Overrated: Caddyshack, Mommie Dearest, Scarface, Ghostbusters, Repo Man, The Road Warrior, 9 1/2 Weeks, Blue Velvet, Dirty Dancing, Fatal Attraction, Field of Dreams.

There are a bunch of movies that I remember loving, but haven't seen in a really long time (The Boy Who Could Fly and Everybody's All-American come to mind) and some movies that I would be interested in seeing because I have almost no memory of them (A Quest for Fire comes to mind).

Looking through the list of 80's movies on Wikipedia, I was struck by how many total stinkers John Travolta was in.