Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

They did have an occasional noirish vibe going, though that was usually overshadowed

by the somewhat pretentious side. I've always liked People are Strange which has

a fine and simple alienation theme to it, along with a catchy melody and Riders on

the Storm seems like a precis of noir ideas. I still prefer their laid-back wistful and

playful numbers though. The Waiting for the Sun album is really exceptional in this

regard.

Okay, enough of these SoCal hippie dippies. Get back to some real tough guys with

true "issues." Stack my Marshalls high baby.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> According to my database *Ride the Pink Horse* (1947) last aired on TCM on May 9, 2005 and November 26, 2005. Some movies seem to have a six year cycle so perhaps it will air again soon.

Thank you for this piece of info. What I would give to have access to TCM's entire broadcast history! I kind of wish they had broadcast dates of rare films on the film's info page.

Anyway, I hope that noir as well as many other rare ones pop up on the schedule soon.

And just to clarify, if a film is shown twice in a year and 5 years later it has yet to be shown again, I can say that's somewhat rare.

I plan on researching all vaulted Fox film noirs and hounding them via email until they pop up sometime in 2011. My biggest project is to get THE BRASHER DOUBLOON on the schedule. I even suggested they play it back to back with SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT since actress Nancy Guild is the link.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> What I would give to have access to TCM's entire broadcast history! I kind of wish they had broadcast dates of rare films on the film's info page.

It is sad to say I do not have access to all TCM history. You can find many old schedules at:

http://www.classicmovies.org/turner/turner0106.htm

The site once listed schedules back to May 2005 but now it only lists schedules back to January 2006.

ValentineX, I'm glad you do! I am not to sure with Comcast and other cable companies but I am glad you have Encore Mystery channel. Do yourself a favor and keep a look out on their schedule, or even download it monthly from the website. Why? Because they show the same film over and over again but then they slip in a classic that is rare and only play it once in the month. Some months they play the Sherlock Holmes PD films, TOUCH OF EVIL and CAPE FEAR (1962) quite a few times and they slip in something rare. I once caught MY GUN IS QUICK (1957) and never saw it again. If Encore channels have access to the Paramounts of the 40s, I guess I should try and shoot them an email with a list of some other films I'd like to see.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> It would be great (for you, not for me) if the Encore Mystery Channel eventually morphed into the Encore Noir Channel. That would keep you busy.

Too much of a good thing is bad! Do you not get Encore Mystery?

Also, I checked 2 weeks ago and I am still getting FMC in Philadelphia.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> It now appears that Comcast only selectively shafted people in Philly. What have they got against me?

I still don't understand what is going on with these cable companies or these channels. Dish is dropping some Fox channels (I believe FSN and FX) because they claim Fox charges ridiculous amounts for them. I'm not in Philly enough so I wish it were I that was shafted and not you. However, if and when I do decide to be permanent there, I think I may have to switch over to DirecTV depending on my channel options and pricing.

Hey, Arturo, nice to see you're back. Your absence was noticed.

I do not receive the television channel you're speaking of, that is showing *Fallen Angel.* This is frustrating for me, *Fallen Angel* is at the very top of my "never seen but would love to" wish list.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> ValentineX, I'm glad you do! I am not to sure with Comcast and other cable companies but I am glad you have Encore Mystery channel. Do yourself a favor and keep a look out on their schedule, or even download it monthly from the website. Why? Because they show the same film over and over again but then they slip in a classic that is rare and only play it once in the month. Some months they play the Sherlock Holmes PD films, TOUCH OF EVIL and CAPE FEAR (1962) quite a few times and they slip in something rare. I once caught MY GUN IS QUICK (1957) and never saw it again. If Encore channels have access to the Paramounts of the 40s, I guess I should try and shoot them an email with a list of some other films I'd like to see.

A few years back, when I learned I would be getting Encore Mystery, I thought it would be composed mostly of 40's whodunits, and I would get to see lots of rare B films. Sad to say, it is mostly recent films, and many aren't even mysteries. But, that said, as you pointed out, they do sometimes show some good films. Once every day, I go through the program guide, channel by channel of those I am interested in, and program my DVRs. Encore Mystery is one I always check, along with Encore Drama, Western, and HD. I believe I caught *My Gun Is Quick*, and now have it on DVD.

Hmm, first *Ride the Pink Horse*, then *Heller in Pink Tights*, and now, *My Gun is Quick*, What were they thinking back when they titled these old movies? Talk about subliminal messages -not even so subliminal. I don't even want to think about what some of these supposedly respectable films are about.

Hey, I can't help it if these studio producers will stoop to anything to bring in an audience. My mind is pure, as I'm sure is SansFins. But I must say I am shocked and appalled at the outrageous titles of some of these so-called artistic films. Just look at the cover for the Mickey Spillane novel upon which *My Gun is Quick* is based:

110938.jpg

And just look at this:

7071_1.JPG

Heller in Pink Tights indeed! Just what is this Sophia Loren woman waiting for? And who is "Heller" ? No doubt someone completely corrupt. (No umlauts over Sophia's name here.)

SansFin, I never before realized that my beloved world of classic films was a cesspool of decadence.

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 6, 2010 10:32 AM

Trolls? You know, if you wanted, you could even put an unsavoury spin on The Three Billy Goats Gruff . Why exactly is that troll hanging around the bridge in that creepy fashion? And isn't at least the first billy goat who tries to cross the bridge a minor?