Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

*I'm preoccupied for a couple of hours and I come back to a thread highlighting suggestive titles? Cool!*

*I wonder what Night Without Sleep (1952) really means. And what Linda Darnell and Gary Merrill were really doing....*

To say nothing of Hildegard Knef and June Vincent.

*Hey, Arturo, nice to see you're back. Your absence was noticed.*

Thank you misswonderly. A month in M?xico with only the odd snatch of a Cine de Oro classic, and i felt like paraphrasing to old MTV ads, "I Want my TCM!" (or FMC).

Arturo, welcome back! You were indeed missed. Particularly your knowledge on the Fox library.

I vacationed in Cancun in May and boy oh boy, was I surprised to find out what their version of TCM was. I don't recall seeing anything in black and white, THE WIZARD OF OZ was in Spanish but kept the musical numbers, and there was episodic television from the 60s and 70s.

Nah. Nothing wrong with a little bad taste anyway. What would some movies be

without it? It is hard to find titles from the studio era that work like that. The

Moon Is Down ? Standards are slipping already.

Hilarious!

Even films that may not have any "dirty" connotations in the title can seem silly sometimes. When I was first getting into the noir genre and reading film lists, I remember going "huh?" at some of the titles:

THEY LIVE BY NIGHT

THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT

HE WALKED BY NIGHT

HE RAN ALL THE WAY

I WALK ALONE

I guess it makes sense since THEY LIVE BY DAY, THEY DRIVE BY DAY, HE WALKED BY SUNSET, HE WALKED MOST OF THE WAY AND THEN PICKED UP A SLIGHT JOG and I WALK WITH A COMPANION wouldn't have been clever noir titles, eh?

I believe a closer look at the topic will show that the classic age of noir ended just

about the time podiatry became popular.

-Well Keyes, your little man didn't have it right this time. Do me one favor.

-Cigarette?

-Yes, but one more thing.

-Yes, Walter.

-Take off my shoes and give my tootsies a real good rubdown. Just straight down

to the heel.

-Heel? All right Walter, just once for old times' sake.

The best friend a chump who was about to be suckered into the big sleep ever met-

his podiatrist. Noir and women's footwear just never hit it off, though weren't a pair

launched a few times in Detour ? You haven't lost a shoe, you've gained a bunion.

I never realized that podiatrists were such a big deal until, years ago, I was sitting at a table with a bunch of people, including a young podiatrist, who was complaining that he was never sure whether women wanted to go out with him for himself. "Let's face it, he said, I'm a good catch". I almost fell off my chair. (I hope any podiatrists who are reading this will not be offended.)

There must have been one noir where somebody was beaten to death with a womens'

shoe. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if lazy legs in Scarlet Street hurled a

shoe or two in Dan Duryea's direction.

Didn't Elaine have a boyfriend who was a podiatrist and she was rather conflicted, after

Jerry raised the question, of whether he should be considered a real doctor or not. Anything's

better than Dr. van Nostrand the "dermatologist."

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> a young podiatrist, who was complaining that he was never sure whether women wanted to go out with him for himself. "Let's face it, he said, I'm a good catch".

Many might consider him a good catch. He had the prestige of the title, he surely made as much money as a real doctor and there was no danger of him being called out at three in the morning for an emergency corn-ectomy.

I thought I watched a sitcom once where people were impressed that a guy was a doctor and then not so much when they learned he was a podiatrist. Ring any bells? Anyway, I think graduating from medical school no matter what concentration is amazing.

It might have been "Seinfeld". See Mr. Bogle's comments a few posts down.

Also from "Seinfeld" - didn't Jerry refuse to take his new girlfriend, a dermatologist, seriously as a doctor, until he realized she'd saved someone's life (by her diagnosis of them) but then it was too late and she dumped him. As usual.

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 11, 2010 1:20 PM

Yes, that one was on a week or so ago. He called her a "pimple popper", and then

someone came over to their dinner table and thanked the good doctor for saving his

life because he had skin cancer. Oops. This is also the episode where Kramer got

the slicer and a butcher's white coat and played Dr. van Nostrand so George could

take a picture of his boss, yadda, yadda, yadda.

If it wasn't for podiatrists, who would give chiropractors something to aim for?

Ok, I don't usually like to post songs on other forums, since there are some perfectly good threads on this site for just that purpose. However, I cannot resist posting the famous Nancy Sinatra anthem to heavy duty footwear (she' s just talking about how sturdy her boots are when she's doing some serious walking, right? Makes no difference if they're everyday construction worker foot gear or knee-length black leather stilettos. Does it?)

(I can't believe how many of those who comment on youtube don't know or care how to spell.)