Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

LoveFilmNoir

I've run out of double-entendre film titles and foot jokes, so I hope no one minds if I change the subject.

Last week I was given a great present: "Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5". This includes :

*Cornered, Desperate, The Phenix City Story, Deadline at Dawn, Armoured Car Robbery, Crime in the Streets, Dial 119, and Backfire* I've only seen one or two of these titles, so I expect I have a fun time in store.

Also, to complement this noir set, I received the latest edition of "The Bible of Noir", also known as Film Noir: The Encyclopedia, edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward and others. This edition is much different from my 1987 edition; for one thing, it includes posters as well as stills, and for another, it includes a whole Part Two, on "Neo-Noir". Very interesting stuff. I will still keep and use my well-used and well-beloved older edition (which has literally fallen apart; I'll have to brush up on my duct tape skills), but this newest edition will provide me with great reading anytime I'm not in the mood for fiction. I'm particularly interested in the "neo-noir" part, since we so often have friendly discussions as to the time frame of noir, "classic" noir vs later noirs, etc. Now I can squelch anybody who disagrees with me: " Sorry, it doesn't say that in the latest Silver/Ward encyclopedia. I'm afraid you're WRONG. "

I'm looking forward to Noir Volume 5, and may post updates on this thread as I go through the films in this set.

Misswonderly, I am jealous of your gifts! Okay, such a dork I am but a film noir box set or book is tops for me. Bless my significant other's heart, he purchased my entire Fox Film Noir collection, two Tyrone Power box sets and several others joking that regular women like diamonds and other shiny trinkets.

I am waiting for that set to go down in price a bit before I buy but thanks to TCM, I have recorded 4 of those films but watched maybe six. I don't know why, but I deleted *Armored Car Robbery* and *Dial 1119* from my DVR prematurely. Both deserved a second viewing. At this point, I am so biased that all of those film noir box sets are worth it. I should also mention that TCM played a majority of them right before that set came out and when the set was getting advertised heavily between movies. It's almost like they give you a sneak preview before you buy them. The same with the Errol Flynn collection now. On his SUTS day, they played every film from that box set. I only wish I could see at least one Charlie Chan film before deciding to splurge.

FYI:

MGM Film Noir *Kansas City Confidential* on sale for $3.98 (I own this already, print is CRISP!)

http://www.amazon.com/Kansas-City-Confidential-Film-Noir/dp/B000PMFRVK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1286890925&sr=1-1

*I just watched FALLEN ANGEL today. It's available thru Netflix. If more people have a chance to see it on Encore, it would be fun to read the different impressions of the film. I really liked it.*

It's been discussed here before, but I'm still surprised no one has commented on this. It's one of my favorite films from my favorite actress, Linda Darnell (although Dana Andrews and Alice Faye are not far behind as favorites).

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> *I just watched FALLEN ANGEL today. It's available thru Netflix. If more people have a chance to see it on Encore, it would be fun to read the different impressions of the film. I really liked it.*

>

> It's been discussed here before, but I'm still surprised no one has commented on this. It's one of my favorite films from my favorite actress, Linda Darnell (although Dana Andrews and Alice Faye are not far behind as favorites).

Arturo, please, let's discuss! I love this film, own it, and watched it endlessly on FMC before I had it. Linda Darnell is great as a femme fatale and I actually think the film was quite suspenseful. Poor Alice Faye. She definitely was not only underused, but she almost was like a "Lynn Bari" in this picture. I wish she had stayed in Hollywood, I think she had the dramatic chops to really succeed in drama and film nor. I actually could see her in the Lucille Ball character of THE DARK CORNER, another film I love (Stevens character, Bradford Galt, has a name that sticks with me). Not taking anything away from the lovely Lucille Ball - she proved she had the chops for film noir in this film and in LURED, but I could definitely see Faye in this role.

Random thought: Fox should have put John Payne and Dan Dailey in some noirs. They had the range - especially John Payne.

You are so right. John Payne is very good in noir. You mentioned Lynn Bari: she is beautiful; i really like her. Zanuck did not like her though, from what i've read (maybe she was too headstrong?). Lastly, Linda is sooooo gorgeous in Fallen Angel and quite the smart-aleck toward Dana. I just love to watch Linda in noir, westerns, .... or just about anything. What a gem Linda is.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Could you elaborate on your "Lynn Bari" comparison?

Sure. Zanuck had much of Alice Faye's role cut down to play up Linda Darnell's character and give her more screen time. The end result of the editing had Alice Faye looking like a supporting player - something that Lynn Bari would have been in the film. I'm not slighting Bari's career but she was underused at Fox as being the second female behind the lead and whenever she was the "star", it was a B picture. Zanuck put not effort into promoting her and the end result is obviously her being somewhat "forgotten" today.

> {quote:title=randyishere wrote:}{quote}

> You are so right. John Payne is very good in noir. You mentioned Lynn Bari: she is beautiful; i really like her. Zanuck did not like her though, from what i've read (maybe she was too headstrong?). Lastly, Linda is sooooo gorgeous in Fallen Angel and quite the smart-aleck toward Dana. I just love to watch Linda in noir, westerns, .... or just about anything. What a gem Linda is.

randy, it's too bad for Fox that they had to see John Payne excel in film noir roles under other directors at other studios when some of the best film noir came out of Fox! I think they typecast Payne, Dailey and Ameche as simple male leads in romance comedies and musicals. Payne definitely proved he had the acting chops. I remember being blown away when I first saw him in *Kansas City Confidential*. It's a shame that those long term studio contracts were also handicaps for some (like the lovely Lynn Bari).

Regarding Linda Darnell: I think she was GREAT in *Fallen Angel*. I also agree that I like her in other genres. I loved her in Fox films like *Chad Hanna* and *Blood and Sand*. I wish she was put in more glamorous roles and in the late 40s and throughout the 50s - for some reason I feel like I didn't see her in enough Technicolor-Cinemascope productions.

I like FALLEN ANGEL even more than some of Preminger's more heralded crime stories. Fascinating characters in spellbinding situations. Darnell is a good fit for the genre. I don't regret seeing her mostly in black and white. She was so dark, so mystifying. Well suited for the shadows!

Miss Wonderly, very cool! That book sounds like a great read, and good for you, getting the gift of Vol 5 of the Noir collection! I've been eyeing that but keeping it on the backburner, only because it lacks commentaries, and I've become a "commentary junkie" for these film sets! I have Set 4 (great one!) and Set 1 so far, and the commentaries are ACES! Along with the great flix of course! I have Set 2 on the way...and Set 3 not far behind...and then probably Set 5. I hope they will continue to pump them out, but I really hope they'll bring back the commentaries! I know it might add to the expense, but hopefully not too much?

Love, I would take a chance on one of the Chan sets, if I were you. I think you'd like them! I have 4 of them, with a 5th on the way. I have all of the Oland, and one of the Toler's on the way. Still holding off a bit on that TCM set, but will get that one eventually too. I'd start with one of the Oland's as I tend to like him the best---probably Set 3, the one with Charlie Chan's Secret, which has a good commentary track. Plus the earliest surviving Chan flick, THE BLACK CAMEL, with a meaty appearance by Bela Lugosi! Toler is great too though and his flix are very, very good. You really can't go wrong if you love old school detective B's.

I should add, that I will definitely get the TCM Spotlight on the Chan films...as soon as I can actually, to contribute to TCM and their efforts there, as well as hopefully convincing them to re-package the remainder of the Monogram Toler Chan films and put them out affordably in sets like these! I will say though that if this set had even one commentary track, I would have purchased it by now! *hint hint* :)

Just when you think you can get away from foot problems, they pull you right

back in. Not five minutes into Fallen Angel and there's Linda Darnell taking

off her shoes and massaging her sore feet. Later in the movie, Dana and Alice

hitchhike all the way to San Fran. Yikes, it's almost supernatural.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I absolutely adore John Payne in KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL!!! Wow, what a GREAT flick on so many levels! He's the tight, taut center of the film, but there are so many great characters in that flick! One of the all-time best!

The film is currently on Amazon for $4 if you don't own it. The crispy clear MGM issue too. This film blew me away as it was the first non-Fox film I ever saw with him. Someone told me he is in the first episode of Season 5 of "Columbo" and that I'd really like it. I may check it out.

The only thing I like about volume 5 is that it's more films in one set. Film noir usually falls at or under 90 minutes so it definitely is a better buy when there are more films in a box set. However, without any extras, I feel like the price should reflect that. I usually put what I want on a wish list and wait until a good sale. Between December 26th and through the beginning of February Amazon.com has MAJOR sales. It's worth it to keep a $100 to the side, you may walk away with 15+ DVDs. I remember that had several Warners films that come in the keepcase for $4.99-5.99 each. I was so busy and procrastinated that I missed out on films like OUT OF THE PAST, the BACALL/BOGIE films etc. I bet that won't happen again (and also, when Amazon has a sale it usually means so does DeepDiscount)

The TCM Chan collection is the cheapest right now at $29.99. Volumes 1-5 are anywhere from $37-40 each. I will most likely wait until the holidays to make a purchase.

My wholly amateur diagnosis of Linda's problem would be round heels. She seems to

pick boyfriends who like to make her walk home. Maybe that's one of the reasons she

is so intent on settling down. Transportation.

Waitress killed in Walton, Pop's jukebox business off by 90%.