Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

LoveFilmNoir

I missed The Unsuspected this time. Have to check it out because it might be

one I saw a long time ago and don't remember. Claude didn't do too bad all through

Now,Voyager. A sympathetic and successful head shrinker with the retreat for

"troubled" kids that must have brought in the dough. Not too shabby.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> I always thought he won at the end of MR. SKEFFINGTON.

His performance was excellent as one expects of him but he was not playing a bad boy. He was misunderstood and a victim rather than a persecutor. It has been many years since I have seen it but I do not remember in it his chortle which thrills me.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> You could say he won at the end of CASABLANCA. (Louie, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship).

I very much feel his ending is ambivalent. He neither fell nor won greatly. I love his role because I can forgive his sins because he is so charming.

What I really wish I could see is one of his consumate evil personifications succeed. I can imagine his wicked smile and the fire in his eyes.

Arturo wrote:

I always thought he won at the end of MR. SKEFFINGTON.

*His performance was excellent as one expects of him but he was not playing a bad boy.*

Your post requesting this did not specify that he wins playing a bad boy.

*What I really wish I could see is one of his consumate evil personifications succeed.*

During the days of the Production Code, evil was not allowed to win. So there probably isn't a movie where his bad character ends up winning.

Edited by: Arturo on Oct 25, 2010 7:33 PM

His best evil gloating had to be as Don Luis in *Anthony Adverse*. The way he sneers "poor boy" at Anita Louise, after he's killed her lover in a sword fight, gets me every time I watch it. (By the way -- I love the latest clip that TCM has posted from that film "Your husband is complete..")

In *Rope of Sand* his rather amoral (but charming) character succeeded in the end, and of course in *Deception* he gloated even after Bette Davis shot him!

Edited by: Mad66 on Oct 27, 2010 9:55 AM

Apparently Rains did the *Deception* restaurant scene (considered extremely difficult because of the various hand props and several pages of monologue) in one take. After which the crew applauded, Henreid and director Irving Rapper shook his hand, and Bette Davis kissed him.

Love that movie! No one else but Claude Rains (and Bette Davis of course) could get away with that kind of high melodrama and still make it so wonderful to watch.

The more times I watch that film, the more I notice that, despite his sadistic cat-and-mouse with Davis and Henreid, Hollenius is quite sincere when he advises Christine to tell the truth and face the consequences. Even though Hollenius was larger than life, Rains still made him a fully developed character.

Ok, I noticed all the noir films scheduled today and was going to post about it. There is a thread about it in General Discussions, posted by our noir fan friend, markbeckuaf.

I've seen most of these,except for *Strange Bargain,* which I guess I've missed today. Who watches movies at six o'clock in the morning? Ane yet it's the rarest of the ones being screened today. I kind of wish they'd shown something like *White Heat* (a great film, but one I've seen many times and own) at 6 a.m., and saved *Strange Bargain* for later in the day.

*Side Street* is an unusual little noir film -I enjoy Farley Granger's role in it, along with his sweetheart from *They Live by Night*, Cathy O'Donnell. And Jean Hagen turns in a nice little performance too. I love good bad girls. Anthony Mann does a great job here; watch out for the aeriel shots looking down on all the dinkie toy looking cars in the city streets far below.

I remember being disappointed and even a little bored with *While the City Sleeps* (6:00 pm). Despite the cast -Ida Lupino, Dana Andrews, Vincent Price, George Saunders, Rhonda Fleming - you'd think it would be impossible to go wrong ! - also despite the director -Fritz Lang - I found it hard to stay awake for this one. Maybe tonight I'll try it again, and have a "Hallelujah ! " moment.

Wonder Woman!

SIDE STREET is the perfect companion piece to THEY LIVE BY NIGHT. It's not as good. What is? The latter is one of the great mature crime dramas. But SS is fine in its own right. A little more wholesome. But fun, intriguing and beautifully photographed. Recommended.

What, you purposely get up at the ungodly hour of 6 am to catch a flick on tcm? I take my hat off to you ( a fedora, of course.) No, I bet you always get up at 6, rain or shine, and run three times around the block , followed by 50 push-ups and then a refreshing cold shower. Morning people ! ...

I cannot wait for the time change next weekend, when we set the clocks back one hour. That's one more sweet hour I can stay in dreamland. I'm afraid I'll never be such a hard core movie fan as to get up any earlier than I have to just to catch a noir or two.

redriver, thanks for the feedback on *Sidestreet*. That's a good way to put it, it's "a little more wholesome" than They Live by Night. Farley G. doesn't get involved in any armed robbery in this one. Hey, anyone can yield to the temptation to pick up a few thousand bucks just lying around waiting to be "borrowed". I'm not sure that I'd pass the opportunity by -depends; whose money, how was it going to be used, would I get caught etc. I'm not saying I'd do it for sure, but I 'd seriously consider it. My sympathies go out to Farley in this one. (But why does he decide to store the loot in that bar? Very dumb idea.)

I'm with you Brigid! I might STAY up till the wee hours. I don't GET up, till I have to. The "fall back" time change is my favorite day of the year. An extra hour's sleep! As for skirting the law and morality, I was once drastically overpaid by mistake. Ten times what I should have gotten. I reported the error, was commended for my integrity. Who are they kidding? I was afraid I'd get caught!

You know, that's one of the aspects of noir I like best - an ordinary person, someone with whom we identify because they're "like us", normal, decent, liking to think that they behave within the confines of the law. And yet, given certain circumstances, they, too, yield to temptation and "bend" the law, "borrow" some money, "fix" the books, etc. The characters we connect with the most in noir are not the violent ones, but the mild-mannered people who are not criminal types, but who just need a break.

To be completely honest, if I were overpaid ten times what what my paycheque was supposed to be, I would be seriously tempted to stay quiet about it, and my decision as to whether to report the overage or not would depend, as you said, largely on whether I thought they'd find out. (Of course these days, with computer records etc., they'd find out within hours.) The only thing that might stop me would be if the employer was a "small business" person who could ill afford such a loss. A big corporation? I'd take the money and run.

Miss Wonderly, I totally grooved hard to STRANGE BARGAIN!!! Very low budget RKO, it takes the "Leave It To Beaver" realm and tosses in some crime and underbelly stuff to mix it up good! It's not a GREAT film by any measure, but it was very watchable and sucked me in for it's entire relatively short running time. Plus a slick turn by Henry Morgan as a wily detective. Hope TCM airs it again soon so you can catch it!

I hung in for DARK PASSAGE, always dig that flick, same with WHITE HEAT. I had to eventually do some stuff, and missed most of THEY LIVE BY NIGHT and SIDE STREET, though I did see part of HIS KIND OF WOMAN, and most of SUDDENLY, which I always like to watch no matter how many times I've seen it (same with most of these others)! All in all, a very groovy noir-kinda day

Those are all great noirs, mark baby. I wonder how they decide these things. Good film noirs all day, then "Moguls and Movie Stars" all evening. How's a person supposed to do anything else but stay glued to TCM all day? Sometimes I'm kind of relieved when they show something I'm indifferent to, it means I can get on with other things without feeling I'm missing something.

Love Frank Sinatra in *Suddenly* - that must be the only time Frank's played such an out and out bad guy.

Maybe if old Walt took the lemonade instead of the beer, things would have worked out

differently. I wouldn't call him shady, but I got the feeling that he might have cut a few

corners in the insurance game, but nothing nearly as serious as being in on a murder

conspiracy. But he went for it, so he's responsible. Quicksand with Mickey Rooney

is another of those noirs where one rather insignificant act really snowballs out of control.

This kind of thing happens to people in real life, but it rarely ends in a life or death situation.

If somebody tried to get me up at six in the morning, I wouldn't just lie there like Lancaster,

in The Killers, I'd get out my trusty gat and fire a few warning shots. Some things are

still sacred.

Well, Miss O'Shaughnessy, this is your favorite day of the year! Mine too. Don't forget to set your clock back. In the town I live in, some businesses sponsor radio messages reminding people of this. It's a nice idea. A favor for the community. A brief plug for the business. Everybody wins!