Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

LoveFilmNoir

Oh yeah, that extra hour this Sunday morning was sweet.

Last night I watched one of the films on the Noir boxed set I got recently - *Dial 1119*. It wasn't bad, kind of like those 50s television dramas they used to put on. A tense little suspense drama, with the escaped murderer holding several people hostage in a bar. Of course each of those hostages has a back story to tell. I would have liked a little more background on the desperate killer himself, but we don't get much, other than that he's a nutter from a way back. I enjoyed it , but it was a good decision to keep it at 75 minutes or so - anything much longer and it would have dragged.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I could look it up, but I'm too lazy. Who was in it?

Marshall Thompson, who I thought was a weak lead, but the supporting cast, particularly the bar patrons, were all great! William Conrad as the bartender led that group, which also featured Leon Ames and Virginia Field and Andrea King. Real B film, but great, I think! I caught it a few years ago on TCM.

Miss Wonderly: I'm wanting to get that set sometime soon! I still have to get Vol 3 though, do you have that one, and if so, how is it?

mark, I have so many film noir boxed sets, I'm not sure which is the one you have in mind. That sounds like bragging, but some of these sets were picked up super cheap, and they have not been cleaned up nor do they have and extras or commentary. However, I'm assuming you mean this:

"FILM NOIR Collection , Volume 3 / "Timeless suspense Thrillers"/ from Warner Brothers with an endorsement from Robert Osborne.

If that's the one, it's a 5 disc set that includes the following:

*Border Incident*

*His Kind of Woman*

*Lady in the Lake*

*On Dangerous Ground*

*The Racket*

Plus a disc called "Film Noir: Bringing Darkness to Light", "an exciting overview with clips, experts, and style" Plus 5 vintage "Crime Doesn't Pay" shorts.

They all have been beautifully remastered, and each comes with an optional commentary. I love the commentaries, especially for the films that I know really well, it adds so much.

Yes, that's the one I meant! Very cool, yep it's on my "want list"! That documentary alone sounded like a winner to me!

I'm also a huge fan of commentaries on classic films! I'm disappointed to hear that Vol 5, which you mentioned in your previous post, doesn't have any! Bummer! But it does have a TON of mostly B and hard to find films, so that's a plus! Both are on my "to get" list! These are the only two of the Warner series of noir I don't have.

DIAL 1119 was the first movie I watched on TCM! I knew right away I was going to enjoy the channel. I like this intimate, unpretensious drama. Made up of great types who complement each other well. William Conrad is an asset to any movie. As you say, the brief running time was a good choice.

I think our friend redriver is a fan of noir lit.

I'm reading Elmore Leonard's latest right now!

$200 bucks? Forget it ! They would've had to have had Rita Hayworth in a time capsule from 1945 signing autographs to make it worth that kind of dough.

I couldn't stand *A Millionaire for Christy*, and turned it off after the disastrous halted wedding scene. Too dumb for words. (further comments on the thread about it in General Discussions.)

To get back to noir - I've also recently viewed, from my new boxed set, the Edward Dmytryk film *Cornered*. I'd seen this before, and hadn't liked it much; I wanted to give it another chance. But I find it unusually unenjoyable ( is that a word?) for a noir. It's partly the Argentina setting, which I find depressing for some reason, although I understand why it is set there. The other actors are not fun or compelling for me to watch -ok, the woman who plays Madame Jarnac (Micheline Cheirel ) is appropriately mysterious, and beautiful in an unusual way, but she's the only one who's at all sympathetic to me. Dick Powell, whom I usually love to watch, never smiles once in this film. One of the reasons I like Powell is his self-deprecating sense of humour, which is nowhere in sight in *Cornered.*

In other words, it's kind of heavy-gooing, and lacks the usual elements of noir that make the genre fun for me. (sorry, mark.)

So did anyone else see HOLLOW TRIUMPH (aka THE SCAR, which is the title shown in the film's credits)? Paul Henried produced as well as acting in two roles: a gangster on the run and the psychiatrist who's a dead ringer for him. It's not an undiscovered masterpiece, but I did watch all the way through. Steve Sekely doesn't do a bad job directing, but he's no Fritz Lang. Joan Bennett plays the love interest, and though not bad, she's not as good as in her Fritz Lang films.

Wow, I've seen several films recently that belong in moirafinnie's list of films that show Hollywood's portrayal of psychiatry: SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR, THE GUILT OF JANET AMES, and HOLLOW TRIUMPH.

The script of HOLLOW TRIUMPH has some nice twists. Noiristas might want to take a look, even if it doesn't have the style that would make it a gem.

I own *Hollow Triumph* / *The Scar* on one of those cheapo boxed sets I've picked up. I'm not altogether sure if Paul Henreid is right for this role, but maybe that's just because I always have him pegged as a good guy. I always like Joan Bennett, I think it's because she's so impudent and sarcastic; it's sort of her usual persona.

I started to watch *The Guilt of Janet Ames* when it was on a couple of weeks ago, but was interrupted, can't remember how. Funny seeing Rosalind Russell in a noirish flick. I hope TCM runs it again soon, so I can see the rest of it. There are a lot of "newspaperman" noirs, aren't there?

I'd love to see *The Secret Beyond the Door*, if only because of that great title.

I find the prospect of Paul Henreid in anything a bit disconcerting. I support the other poster's review of this film. It's not bad. Not REALLY bad. But it offers nothing I haven't seen in other, better movies. A person who never sees this one is not missing a lot.

By the way, MissW, I'm on the same page about CORNERED. It's interesting, especially for the unusual Argentine setting, but not in the same league as Dmytryk's CROSSFIRE and MURDER, MY SWEET. Or SO WELL REMEMBERED.

I'm going to start a thread on THE GUILT OF JANET AMES. Definitely recommended.

Yes, I totally groove to THE SCAR!!! I also have it on one of those cheapie 50 movie packs, and it's great! I also saw it on TCM and really love it, great stuff! And an intense ending, where your sentiments do switch around, at least for me! I also grooved hard to WOMAN IN THE WINDOW, outstanding print, wow!

Wow, folks, how about tomorrow which includes WONDERFUL CRIME (comedy/crime flick), CRACK-UP (great noir flick!!), A DANGEROUS PROFESSION (Raft and O'Brien!), THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH (rarely seen Robert Ryan, Joan Bennett, Charles Bickford flick!) and THE SET-UP (always a great watch)!!! Pretty awesome day on Thursday!!

I'm with you, Mark, on *Hollow Triumph*. And one reason is that it was photographed by my favorite noir cinematographer, John Alton, during his Eagle-Lion heyday (T-Men, Bury Me Dead, Canon City, The Amazing Mr. X, Raw Deal, He Walked by Night -- all in 1947 and 1948 -- and Reign of Terror in 1949).

Some sources state that Paul Henreid took over the directing chores.

Thanks to Amazon, I ordered "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Hollywood" and I can't wait to check it out! Anyone else have this box set? It has a GREAT Joan Crawford flick, SUDDEN FEAR, as well as Hugh Beaumont (Ward Cleaver) in RAILROADED, a very overlooked and outstanding B-noir, BEHIND LOCKED DOORS!! Also includes HANGMEN ALSO DIE and THE LONG NIGHT!!

Mark, I did indeed watch THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH. Good film, though I'm still trying to decide what to think about the end, which isn't a common noir ending. Charles Bickford is so good as the blind husband--or is he really blind? Robert Ryan and Joan Bennett are effectively cast, and what about seeing Irene Ryan (Granny on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES) in a supporting role in a noir? Good location shooting, atmopspheric use of fog and the beached ship where the lovers meet.

Actually, Mark, I squeezed four of that day's noirs onto a VHS tape, and, as you say, was totally grooving on CRACK-UP and THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH. HAVING WONDERFUL CRIME and THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA were worth seeing, too. And THE SET-UP, a terrific film, was next on the schedule, but I already have that on tape. A day to thank our programmers for.

Kingrat, thank you for your thoughts about WOMAN ON THE BEACH!!! I'm not sure if Charles Bickford was blind or not for real...but wow, what a great noir actor, always tough as nails! Very intense flick, I thought!

And glad you enjoyed the Pat O'Brien day! Very groovy and wow, really loved all those flicks! THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA a very underrated flick, very good one!

The programmers deserve a medal for this one!

A couple of notes on THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA: John Alton, ChiO's main man, photographed the film. Look at the murder scene early in the film where there's an intensely lighted rowhouse in the back of the shot, where the murder victim will emerge. This is a beautiful composition.

Spencer Tracy and Diana Lynn do an excellent job of creating a believable father/daughter relationship. The lead part--recovering alcoholic lawyer returns to defend one more murder case--is perfect for Tracy.